Do you have to be doctor-owned to take VSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beaneek

IU 2009
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know what the exact requirements are for getting on VSP? Does an office (private practice) have to be 51% owned by an OD to become a VSP provider for both exam and glasses? Or does just the dispensary need to be 51% owned by an OD?

I am an OD who works for an optical (currently owned by opticians) and am looking into becoming a VSP provider, but from what I have heard I may not even be able to since I'm not the owner of the dispensary. However I do technically own my own practice, since I work for myself independently. My practice is an exam room in the back of the optical, under my own separate corporation name. Any input would be helpful if anyone else has experience with this type of setup.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Does anyone know what the exact requirements are for getting on VSP? Does an office (private practice) have to be 51% owned by an OD to become a VSP provider for both exam and glasses? Or does just the dispensary need to be 51% owned by an OD?

I am an OD who works for an optical (currently owned by opticians) and am looking into becoming a VSP provider, but from what I have heard I may not even be able to since I'm not the owner of the dispensary. However I do technically own my own practice, since I work for myself independently. My practice is an exam room in the back of the optical, under my own separate corporation name. Any input would be helpful if anyone else has experience with this type of setup.

To be on VSP, you have to own the dispensary as well.

Just go out of network and skip all the bs crap VSP requires of you.

ICOOD, you hit the nail on the head. Why jump through V$P's hoops any longer? Be OON for both the exam and the materials and balance bill the patient to your heart's contentment.:p