Do you have to be married to get couples housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tippyboat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or can you get couples housing as long as you pay for it?

Particularly the new york schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Or can you get couples housing as long as you pay for it?

Particularly the new york schools?

Depends on the school. Are you a traditional couple or a nontraditional couple, cuz I think NYMC and AECOM had gaffes over not providing nontraditional couples couples housing... correct me if I am wrong...

Columbia said something about providing for domestic partners, which I would assume by default includes same sex and opposite sex couples...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, but it does not mean that you can pick up a chick at a bar on Friday night and have her move into med school housing with you.

Thanks for the information guys.

What about mt. Sinai?

Oh and traditional couple.

when i interviewed at sinai our tour guide said you only need a joint bank account to qualify for couples housing!

If you have joint bank accounts thats trust. To me that qualifys for couples housing.

I don't know about NY, but I was looking into it down here in Florida and many of the schools require a Marriage License before they look at your application for on-campus housing.

Yeah, but it does not mean that you can pick up a chick or a dude, or a chick and a dude, or a chickdude at a bar on Friday night and have her move into med school housing with you.

just thought I'd clarify :laugh:

During my NYMC interview I asked my tour guide if I could live in the couples housing with my girlfriend of 4 years. She said that you must be married in order to live there, she also said that same sex couples were not allowed to live in the housing as well. She was very apologetic about it and agreed with me that it is a bad policy. It especially sucks there because living off campus at NYMC is very costly.

During my NYMC interview I asked my tour guide if I could live in the couples housing with my girlfriend of 4 years. She said that you must be married in order to live there, she also said that same sex couples were not allowed to live in the housing as well. She was very apologetic about it and agreed with me that it is a bad policy. It especially sucks there because living off campus at NYMC is very costly.

That's odd... my tour guide was a 2nd-year who was living in couples housing with her boyfriend.