Do you have to get an internship while in pharmacy school?

Started by bjnyen
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bjnyen

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to be a P1 and it seems like all of my friends are interning for a pharmacy. Is it a requirement to get an internship at a pharmacy while you're in pharmacy school?
I'm going to be a P1 in the fall and I know that I want to pursue the indsutry path rather than retail. I've been interning for a pharmaceutical company for the past 2 summers. I guess my question is if I don't get an internship in a pharmacy, and only internship in a industry setting, will that consider bad or negatively affect my chance of getting a job in anyway in the future?
 
Last edited:
No, it is not a requirement to procure an outside internship at a pharmacy.

That being said, >99% of jobs available to new PharmDs are in either retail or hospital settings. And those employers like to see pharmacy experience outside of your p4 rotations. If you have a relationship with a pharmaceutical company, I would tell you to hang on to that for dear life, because industry jobs are becoming increasingly rare and highly sought after. Unfortunately industry does not necessarily mean pharmaceutical research. A PhD would probably better equip you for such an endeavor.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It may be a requirement, depending on the state. For example, Pennsylvania requires extra hours of interning in a pharmacy on top of your rotations.
 
It might be the only way you find a job by the time you graduate. Three years of hospital internship is the way I managed to get a hospital job without a residency, and although it was at a different hospital it was in the same field (peds). Otherwise they wouldn't have even considered me.