Do you have to go to grad school in the location where you want to open your practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted861354

The subject really sums it up. I assume that the place where I go to grad school will connect me to people and institutions who will ultimately end up helping me find my first batch of clients, referrals, etc. I am assuming it is extremely important to go to grad school in the same area (e.g. within 50 miles or so) of where I intend to open up my practice. Is this a safe assumption? Can I go to school in Philly and have a practice in Connecticut? What are the considerations here?

Thanks everyone so much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

The subject really sums it up. I assume that the place where I go to grad school will connect me to people and institutions who will ultimately end up helping me find my first batch of clients, referrals, etc. I am assuming it is extremely important to go to grad school in the same area (e.g. within 50 miles or so) of where I intend to open up my practice. Is this a safe assumption? Can I go to school in Philly and have a practice in Connecticut? What are the considerations here?

Thanks everyone so much for your time.

Your grad school will probably do no such thing. That's not their job. Not to say you wont/can't be offered opps and meet people to help you out early on, but that probably wont come directly through your grad program faculty. Psychology is all over the country, and people move around alot--both in training (internship and post-doc) and in/for jobs. I moved from my undergrad college to go to grad school, again for internship, and then settled in my native city for career.

Go to the program that offers good funding and matches your interests (both research and clinical). Developing a private practice is business skills, not psychology skills.

Last edited:
This is a field where mobility is important so it is likely that you will do internship and postdoc work in different locations from where the grad school is. My experience is that internship and postdoc have had more to do with subsequent career opportunities than did the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen it work both ways in that I know folks who made employment contacts from grad school, and who did the same from internship/postdoc; the latter is more common in my experience, but the former isn't unusual. But to broadly answer your question--no, you definitely do not need to go to grad school where you intend to practice.

For example, it's anecdotal, but my grad school, internship, postdoc, and first job were all in different states.

For private practice? Eh, it depends. In general, my answer is no. There are isolated cases of promising students/interns/post-docs being hired into a group that a professor runs, but it isn't that common. More commonly, settle down wherever you end up, find employment in a group setting or some sort, make a name for yourself, build private practice. You can cut right to solo PP if you want and have start-up funds. Now, if you want a teaching/academic position, the probability is higher that there may be some effect. Private practice oriented psychologists and academics tend to run in different circles.

For private practice? Eh, it depends. In general, my answer is no. There are isolated cases of promising students/interns/post-docs being hired into a group that a professor runs, but it isn't that common. More commonly, settle down wherever you end up, find employment in a group setting or some sort, make a name for yourself, build private practice. You can cut right to solo PP if you want and have start-up funds. Now, if you want a teaching/academic position, the probability is higher that there may be some effect. Private practice oriented psychologists and academics tend to run in different circles.

There is a Psy.D program in my town that graduates almost 40/year. I would say half either want to stay here or are from here. This has been going on 25 years or more now, and I do believe its getting saturated unless you can stand out. This is a large metro area of 500,000. Not a huge area like NYC area, SF, LA (southern Cal), Chi-town Miami, Houston, Atlanta, etc. but not not small either.

Oh, masters-level peeps do therapy too. So, there's that.

Last edited:
Really appreciate these responses!

Are postdocs / internships often not near where one goes to school? I'll likely be doing a Psy.D. program.

My thinking was that my network of referrals would come, not necessary from faculty and such, but rather just people I meet / know in the area - other therapists, doctors, service professionals who may know people in need of therapy, etc. I imagined I would be spending 4 years building a network of people I could potentially use for initial clients, but maybe I'm mistaken about how one generates their initial clients / referrals? Or is the more common thing, as some have suggested, to join a group, work there for (how long??) and then try to hang my own shingle?

I know the odds of building a successful solo practice right out of school are slim, but I am interested in knowing what that path would look like, especially concerning finding initial clients.

It's not uncommon for people to do internship in an entirely different state/part of the country than they did grad school.

There are a few threads about private practice on here that you can search for that give tons of really great information about start up costs and the like.

Are postdocs / internships often not near where one goes to school?

It's the norm to move for internship and likely the same for post doc. In fact, geographically restricting your internship applications significantly hampers your ability to match to any APA accredited internship sites.

I'll likely be doing a Psy.D. program.

You should read all the threads in this subforum about PhD vs. PsyD programs.

It's the norm to move for internship and likely the same for post doc. In fact, geographically restricting your internship applications significantly hampers your ability to match to any APA accredited internship sites.

You should read all the threads in this subforum about PhD vs. PsyD programs.

I've read a number of them - was there something about my question suggesting I missed something important? Or are you just making sure I'm aware of their existence?

I know the odds of building a successful solo practice right out of school are slim, but I am interested in knowing what that path would look like, especially concerning finding initial clients.

I know people who have done it, but I can't say it's the easiest path. What the path looks like depends partly on your specialty or the population you plan to serve. You will need to network and reach out to many potential referral sources (eg, physicians, schools, community agencies, etc.).

My experience is that internship and postdoc have had more to do with subsequent career opportunities than did the school.

This has been my observation too. I still get referrals from people I know from internship and postdoc. A postdoc mentor helped me find my first job. But I'm not sure some of the faculty from my Ph.D. program would remember my name if they saw me on the street today.

Reactions: 1 user
Private practices aren't necessarily connected to doctoral programs, generally, although occasionally faculty would provide a referral to an alumnus if students were seeking outside therapists. That's about it at my alma mater. I'm in private practice several states away from my grad program.

Much more commonly, folks leave the state for internship and/or postdoc and then decide where to settle based on different factors (spouse/family, connections, jobs, etc.).

You probably shouldn't rely on a grad program to get you set up for private practice referrals. Instead, you need a niche that a particular community is in need of (working with kids, DBT, forensic assessments, postpartum depression, men's issues, etc.) and that takes research/exploration, and belonging to county psych associations and networking there. You are way ahead of yourself at this point, but you can certainly look into specialties you're interested in.

Private practice is a huge, risky, and expensive undertaking, so scour the private practice threads in here first to learn more and google some private practice blogs to see more info. After that, if you have specific questions, you can PM me.

Private practices aren't necessarily connected to doctoral programs, generally, although occasionally faculty would provide a referral to an alumnus if students were seeking outside therapists. That's about it at my alma mater. I'm in private practice several states away from my grad program.

Much more commonly, folks leave the state for internship and/or postdoc and then decide where to settle based on different factors (spouse/family, connections, jobs, etc.).

You probably shouldn't rely on a grad program to get you set up for private practice referrals. Instead, you need a niche that a particular community is in need of (working with kids, DBT, forensic assessments, postpartum depression, men's issues, etc.) and that takes research/exploration, and belonging to county psych associations and networking there. You are way ahead of yourself at this point, but you can certainly look into specialties you're interested in.

Private practice is a huge, risky, and expensive undertaking, so scour the private practice threads in here first to learn more and google some private practice blogs to see more info. After that, if you have specific questions, you can PM me.
Thanks so much for the PM offer, Bull! Will let you know if I have further questions after scouring the web/SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
In case OP is asking because they have friends in medical schools with incentives for/penalties for not staying in the same region as the school: psych grad school doesn’t have that.

I've read a number of them - was there something about my question suggesting I missed something important? Or are you just making sure I'm aware of their existence?

I think they were referring to the misconception that PhD=research and PsyD=clinical practice, as well as the predatory nature of stand alone for-profit programs, which make up a good portion of PsyDs.

I'm beginning my private practice in a major city where I did the vast majority of my clinical training. My graduate school was close-ish, and I was able to do my later externships, internship, and postdoc in my current city (which involved some very annoying commuting for a while). So while I can't speak for the benefits of actually going to school in the city you wish to practice, I can say without a doubt that doing your clinical training in that city can be extremely valuable, from my own experience and the experiences of my peers. Even in the biggest cities psychology is a small world (and becomes increasingly smaller the more specialized you are). I still am in contact with past supervisors and they serve both as referral sources and mentors. I imagine it is possible to build a practice without this, but it would require much more work.

Good luck!

Internship/postdoc is frequently a better predictor of where folks will settle than programs. There is more choice involved in that process with respect to picking location, particularly given the state of the match and the way folks can tailor applications with much more success to a specific area. That said, any connection to other psychologists / providers will be a boon to efforts to start practice. You dont need to pick a program based on that. The field is mobile and training in your area of interest is more important than getting training in a geographic area.

There is a Psy.D program in my town that graduates almost 40/year. I would say half either want to stay here or are from here. This has been going on 25 years or more now, and I do believe its getting saturated unless you can stand out. This is a large metro area of 500,000. Not a huge area like NYC area, SF, LA (southern Cal), Chi-town Miami, Houston, Atlanta, etc. but not not small either.

Oh, masters-level peeps do therapy too. So, there's that.

With similar skills they are taking each other's lunch. I moved back to my major metro that had mostly psychodynamic focused programs and had no problem working in a CBT/behavioral group practice for cash. The many locally based psychodynamic therapists had much more competition. Moving your skills around to meet market demands is helpful.

To everyone else, don't do what ERG has done and move to a place saturated with clinicians. Less opportunity...free market and all that. In fact, do nothing that ERG does and consume much less bourbon over your lifetime. ;)

EDIT: ERG, Maker's Mark or Evan Williams? Or do you prefer that TN whiskey?

Internship/postdoc is frequently a better predictor of where folks will settle than programs. There is more choice involved in that process with respect to picking location, particularly given the state of the match and the way folks can tailor applications with much more success to a specific area. That said, any connection to other psychologists / providers will be a boon to efforts to start practice. You dont need to pick a program based on that. The field is mobile and training in your area of interest is more important than getting training in a geographic area.

I'm applying for Ph.D. counseling psych programs this fall, and I'm interested in college student concerns. I'm reviewing program websites and reading the lit, but I'm getting a little lost in the academic journals. I see that you're a grad of counseling psych, and besides the obvious Journal of Counseling Psych and The Counseling Psychologist, are there journals that the profession typically read and publish in? Specifically, psychologists who work with college students in a college/uni counseling center or who'd be open to that?

Thanks,
Sharewithme

Hi,

I know you're a grad of counseling psych, and PhD counseling psych programs are what I want to apply for this fall. How do I go about finding a niche with those working with college students in a college/uni counseling center?

Thanks,
Sharewithme

It also depends if your program has a consortium or not as well. Often a program with a consortium will have sites for internship that are within a reasonable distance from the program. In programs like that it's obviously common for most of a cohort to be situated in the same geographic region but there is always one or two who travel across the country.

Hi,

I know you're a grad of counseling psych, and PhD counseling psych programs are what I want to apply for this fall. How do I go about finding a niche with those working with college students in a college/uni counseling center?

Thanks,
Sharewithme

Hmmm, that's a bit tougher because college counseling is generalist training. Mood disorders, anxiety disorders, social adjustment, sometimes personality disorders or psychosis, suicidality (they are huge on training for crisis), adjustment, grief, relationships, identity development, running specific groups, and couples' therapy (could be a specialty). I got a little specialized training in sexual and gender diversity/transgender identity at my sites, but it depends on the training/staff at each site. You'd have to ask each college counseling center if there are opportunities for development/training in a particular specialty. They do tend to be very strong in training for multicultural competence across the board, which could be an area of focus but doesnt really translate to a specialty in the job market.

So long story short, you have to ask whether sites offer something more specialized, which would be a great question for sites come internship interview time, where you would have the most intensive training and opportunity to get a little more specialized training in a particular area such as substance abuse or eating disorders, etc.

It also depends if your program has a consortium or not as well. Often a program with a consortium will have sites for internship that are within a reasonable distance from the program. In programs like that it's obviously common for most of a cohort to be situated in the same geographic region but there is always one or two who travel across the country.

Great point! I have to keep tabs if it's already listed on program websites on where cohort students originally came from. It could help me figure out my admission odds.

Great point! I have to keep tabs if it's already listed on program websites on where cohort students originally came from. It could help me figure out my admission odds.

I forgot to add that consortiums can pool resources/time/staff to get their internship sites APA accredited. Obviously non-consortium sites can and do get APA accreditation for their internship positions but just a thought. This is important for certain jobs/careers (i.e. the VA i believe).

I forgot to add that consortiums can pool resources/time/staff to get their internship sites APA accredited. Obviously non-consortium sites can and do get APA accreditation for their internship positions but just a thought. This is important for certain jobs/careers (i.e. the VA i believe).

There are far more non-consortium than consortium sites, so the first part shouldn't really be a consideration. And the requirement for APA accreditation is way more than the VA. It's the VA, most instituational healthcare systems, any other federal job, most university jobs, and even some group practices.