Do you have to have a bachelor degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessicamed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, to get into pharmacy school, you don't have to finish your bachelor degree right? All you have to have is to finish up all the pre-reqs required, or did they change this already? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

jessicamed said:
I was wondering, to get into pharmacy school, you don't have to finish your bachelor degree right? All you have to have is to finish up all the pre-reqs required, or did they change this already? Thanks
Most schools only require the pre-reqs be completed by the time you start pharm school. Check with the schools you will be applying to just to be 100% sure.

most only require prereqs HOWEVER

since the field is so competitive now... it will be beneficial for you to have a BS prior to entering (edge up)

Members don't see this ad :)
It is becoming more & more common each year. I expect it to be the norm in another couple of years. If you are just getting started with your prereqs, you may want to think about getting your bachelors.

Of my first year PharmD class, 70% have a bachelor's degree. Almost all students who didn't have a bachelor's degree were either a) part of the school's early admissions pathway program that you must be selected for (2 years pre pharm 4 years pharm) or b) did 3 years in the school's Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science program and had research and pharmacy experience. Getting a bachelor's is definitely something you want to think about. I have a friend that applied after her third year and didn't get in. She decided to finish her bachelor's and she got in this year. So that is an option--you can try after your third year, and if you don't get in, finish your bachelor's and reapply.