Do you have to release new scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

anon y mous

So if I did worse on my MCAT retake, do I have to release the scores?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I can say that I wouldn't personally go through the effort of releasing new scores when I'm not legally bound to do so. That being said, I'm not sure what possible ramifications there are.

Perhaps a recent (last few years) matriculant who did not release new scores after applying can lend some insight.

it's like lying about volunteer experience. if you don't get caught you're ok, if you do you'll get rejected and possibly dismissed if you're already enrolled. schools specifically say to report ALL mcat scores. so, are you feeling lucky?

Members don't see this ad :)
it's like lying about volunteer experience. if you don't get caught you're ok, if you do you'll get rejected and possibly dismissed if you're already enrolled. schools specifically say to report ALL mcat scores. so, are you feeling lucky?
It's not a matter of luck. I did not know it required you to submit them all; that's why i asked.:rolleyes: So if that's what is expected; that's what I'll do. Could ypu please show me on AACOMAS where it says that. Thanks.

I don't believe you have a choice. If you released your scores once to the AACOMAS during this application period, your new scores will be automatically released to all schools you apply to. Otherwise, if you are making a new application and haven't yet submitted any scores, your official AAMC score report, which you electronically send to AACOMAS, should automatically include the scores to both times you took it. Thus, it would behoove you to list them both.

It's not a matter of luck. I did not know it required you to submit them all; that's why i asked.:rolleyes: So if that's what is expected; that's what I'll do. Could ypu please show me on AACOMAS where it says that. Thanks.

sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you were tying to cheat the system.
" Enter information about all MCAT exams that you have taken or plan to take." that is a quote from the mcat section of aacomas. school secondaries will also specify this. that is why on amcas mcat scores are automatically reported, because many people will omit them. I'm sure aacomas will be like that before too long. if you didn't have to report all your scores many people would be much happier. that is why everybody stresses not taking the test untill you know you are ready. sorry if i came across rude. i have an older mcat score that believe me, I wish i didn't have to report.

Hahahaha...I know what you mean. Even though it's all in the past now for me, I had to report one that was prior to 1996. Bet you can't beat that. ;)

wow, was that back when the mcat was written on stone? just kidding, it obviously paid off because you're a med student now!

" Enter information about all MCAT exams that you have taken or plan to take." that is a quote from the mcat section of aacomas.

Seems like you're overextending the jurisdiction of this quote. It says nothing about updating new scores when they are received. It only says that, upon initial completion of AACOMAS, you should list all MCAT scores and planned test dates.

Two quotes from AACOMAS Application Instructions:

MCAT scores are NOT automatically forwarded to AACOMAS

Updating Your Applicant Profile

While AACOMAS processing is generally completed once your materials reach your designated colleges, you may want to update Applicant Profile information with MCAT scores or new course information.

I don't see an explicit statement that you have to report new scores. I'm not saying it's worth any sort of risk, but I'm also not sure where this alleged risk would come from.

I believe you have to release all your MCAT scores. I remember speaking to an aacomas staff member a month ago on the phone, and he told me, if a medical school or aacomas finds out that you have an MCAT score that is not being released, that would be considered "very serious" (and yes that includes scores after your verification of aacomas from what i understand) , and that lie would go on your history. So honestly i wont risk it. There is a reason they ask if you are planning to take the MCAT after you submit your application. Trust me they dont ask you that for fun. For fun is when you take the MCAT and not report your scores..

Last edited:
I was placed on hold at DMU and I think not extended interview invites right away because I had taken another MCAT. That said, I had to go back and manually enter the score.

I was placed on hold at DMU and I think not extended interview invites right away because I had taken another MCAT. That said, I had to go back and manually enter the score.
So do you enter it again on your aacomas application or do you have to arrange to have it sent to each individual school?

Seems like you're overextending the jurisdiction of this quote. It says nothing about updating new scores when they are received. It only says that, upon initial completion of AACOMAS, you should list all MCAT scores and planned test dates.

Two quotes from AACOMAS Application Instructions:

I don't see an explicit statement that you have to report new scores. I'm not saying it's worth any sort of risk, but I'm also not sure where this alleged risk would come from.

Thank you; at least someone understands my confusion and not that I was looking to do something illegal or immoral. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you; at least someone understands my confusion and not that I was looking to do something illegal or immoral. :eek:

I don't really know what to say except it is a known fact that you must report all MCATs taken. Not doing so is considered falsifying application information. Call schools and ask them, they will tell you the same. Search for this, there are other threads about it.

I had the scores forwarded from AMCAS to AACOMAS. I then manually entered the score and it was verified. I didn't contact any schools. Scores are being downloaded daily from AACOMAS so you should be fine.

Okay, I retook the MCAT a 3rd time, :eek:, and this last one was taken after I had submitted my AACOMAS app. I only went up ONE POINT (2 pts up in VR, 1 pt drop in PS, one letter up in WS). I think I sort of have an option if I want to send AACOMAS my new MCAT scores, because they will not get it automatically from the MCAT THx thingy.

What do you think I should do? Do the small improvements in VR and WS outweigh the one point drop in PS and the fact that I had one whole year to improve the score? Will this one point improvement reflect negatively on me because I had so much time between the retakes?

Those people talking about getting in trouble for not reporting ALL scores are kinda scaring me though....

Thanks!

Last edited:
Okay, I retook the MCAT a 3rd time, :eek:, and this last one was taken after I had submitted my AACOMAS app. I only went up ONE POINT (2 pts up in VR, 1 pt drop in PS, one letter up in WS). I think I sort of have an option if I want to send AACOMAS my new MCAT scores, because they will not get it automatically from the MCAT THx thingy.

What do you think I should do? Do the small improvements in VR and WS outweigh the one point drop in PS and the fact that I had one whole year to improve the score? Will this one point improvement reflect negatively on me because I had so much time between the retakes?

One thing I like about my latest score is that it is much more balanced out among the sections. Take a look:

1st MCAT: 5PS 7VR 10BS M WS = 22M
2nd MCAT: 11PS 5VR 10BS N WS = 26N
3rd MCAT: 10PS 7VR 10BS O WS = 27O

Please let me know what I should do and give me some advice. Those people talking about getting in trouble for not reporting ALL scores are kinda scaring me though....

Thanks!
That's the whole point of this thread. They are saying you HAVE TO RELEASE.

Why don't you just call the schools and ask? If you're not trying to do something immoral, call one of the schools that you are applying to and ask if you must release all MCAT scores. If one of the schools you're applying to says yes, then you have no choice but to release the score for all of your schools to see. Simple as that!

Do I just release it to AACOMAS assuming they will send my new scores to all the designated schools? If so, how long does it take for AACOMAS to release my new scores? or I have to contact every school I applied and ask them how to do it?

Guys,
Here is some of the info. I emailed all of them. Still waiting to hear from most of them:
So far, PNWU, RVU, Western and DMU said they take the best composite.
TCOM said they look at all scores but may give preference to the most recent take.
AT Still Kirksville will look at the most recent.

Hope this helps.

Guys,
Here is some of the info. I emailed all of them. Still waiting to hear from most of them:
So far, WVSOM, LMU, LECOM, CCOM, PNWU, RVU, Western and DMU said they take the best composite.
TCOM said they look at all scores but may give preference to the most recent take.
AT Still Kirksville and AZ will look at the most recent.
Athens OH OUCOM(?) takes the best subscores.
Hope this helps.

Hey Guys i need your help on two questions

How long does it take for amcas to send in the MCAT score to aacomas?

and then

how long does aacomas take to send in the MCAT scores to the designated schools?

(In all ---how long does it take for the medical schools to get my MCAT score from the day it is released?)

Could you please let me know, if you know for sure. This is really bothering me:eek:, i hope you guys can help. :idea:

When I released my MCAT from MCAT THx they showed up the next morning on my AACOMAS, assuming your not verified yet from what I understand it will be included in your inital release. Someone with more experience will need to comment if your application has been released to schools.

When I released my MCAT from MCAT THx they showed up the next morning on my AACOMAS, assuming your not verified yet from what I understand it will be included in your inital release. Someone with more experience will need to comment if your application has been released to schools.

Im actually verified ( i was verified weekssssss back ;)), im just waiting on my MCAT score..

Hey Guys i need your help on two questions

How long does it take for amcas to send in the MCAT score to aacomas?

and then

how long does aacomas take to send in the MCAT scores to the designated schools?

(In all ---how long does it take for the medical schools to get my MCAT score from the day it is released?)

Could you please let me know, if you know for sure. This is really bothering me:eek:, i hope you guys can help. :idea:

I think you are saying that you have an MCAT score, you sent it via THx to AACOMAS, and now you are waiting for AACOMAS to receive it (and subsequently send it to the schools).

If that's right and you've been waiting for a while for it to show up on your AACOMAS page, then you should make sure your SS# is properly associate with your MCAT score with AMCAS (instead of it reading SS# 999-99-9999). I think this is the most common problem. If you can't figure it out, call/email AACOMAS.

I think you are saying that you have an MCAT score, you sent it via THx to AACOMAS, and now you are waiting for AACOMAS to receive it (and subsequently send it to the schools).

If that's right and you've been waiting for a while for it to show up on your AACOMAS page, then you should make sure your SS# is properly associate with your MCAT score with AMCAS (instead of it reading SS# 999-99-9999). I think this is the most common problem. If you can't figure it out, call/email AACOMAS.

Hey chocolate bear,

no i dont have an MCAT score yet, it hasn't been released,

all I'm asking is :

In all how long would it take for medical schools to get my MCAT score WHEN it is released (october 7 for me according to amcas website) from aacomas.

Also how long would it take for aacomas to get my MCAT score from amcas.

I just want know what to expect in terms of the time frame--- from the time my MCAT is released to the time i would be complete in these schools.

note, im verified by aacomas--

why does no one on sdn no the answer for this....:confused:

Hey chocolate bear,

no i dont have an MCAT score yet, it hasn't been released,

all I'm asking is :

In all how long would it take for medical schools to get my MCAT score WHEN it is released (october 7 for me according to amcas website) from aacomas.

Also how long would it take for aacomas to get my MCAT score from amcas.

I just want know what to expect in terms of the time frame--- from the time my MCAT is released to the time i would be complete in these schools.

note, im verified by aacomas--

why does no one on sdn no the answer for this....:confused:

Within a week. Two at the most.

When talking about composite scores, does composite mean they'll take your best from each section?

I.e.

1ST MCAT PS 7 VR 8 BS 9 = 24
2ND MCAT PS 5 VR 10 BS 10 = 25

Would best composite mean the 25 or would it be 27, since PS is higher from 1st MCAT?

When talking about composite scores, does composite mean they'll take your best from each section?

I.e.

1ST MCAT PS 7 VR 8 BS 9 = 24
2ND MCAT PS 5 VR 10 BS 10 = 25

Would best composite mean the 25 or would it be 27, since PS is higher from 1st MCAT?

I don't think so.

So, this is a different situation, but I don't really know what to do. I am finishing up sending some secondaries. (I know I know I know... It took forever to get freaking verified) But I am actually having my MCAT rescored... there had to be a serious mistake... 'nuff said, so do I send them my score or do I wait for the rescore? not sure how to handle this one. THANKS

no one on this thread for a couple days but in reference to the above post...something we should know about the 7/18 test?

just curious

no one on this thread for a couple days but in reference to the above post...something we should know about the 7/18 test?

just curious

People didn't do as well as they though. there were alot of regrades. so far they have come back exactly the same.