Do you have to stand as much at work when you become the actual pharmacist??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BetseyJohnson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed CVS pharmacists have stools, but do they actually get to use them?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have back problems, they would be legally required to offer you reasonable accommodation, so, yeah. I know i'll be on pain meds someday for my back problems so i use stools as often as i can. SAVE YOUR BACKS people!! Most pharmacists stand all day. You dont necessarily have to.

Good to know. Yea, I know some older pharmacists with orthopedic problems. I'm not sure if they would have had these problems anyway, or if they are related to years of standing all day at work. Also, are some chains better about this sort of thing than others?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've noticed CVS pharmacists have stools, but do they actually get to use them?

When I was shadowing, I've noticed pharmacists and techs would sit when it was their down time or they were all caught up with scripts, orders, and inventory.

If you have back problems, they would be legally required to offer you reasonable accommodation, so, yeah. I know i'll be on pain meds someday for my back problems so i use stools as often as i can. SAVE YOUR BACKS people!! Most pharmacists stand all day. You dont necessarily have to.

If you're the type to move around to get everything from your inventory to answering your phone and counseling patients, you can expect to walk around the pharmacy all day. But if you're on the phone for more than few minutes, you might want to sit down and take notes (because you might have to for transfers, figuring out what to tell patients from their insurance companies). Also, if you're looking up drug interactions and it takes a while, you might want to sit for that if you can.

Good to know. Yea, I know some older pharmacists with orthopedic problems. I'm not sure if they would have had these problems anyway, or if they are related to years of standing all day at work. Also, are some chains better about this sort of thing than others?

That would depend on company and store policy. You might have to visit each one and ask a pharmacist to see what they really think about it.

Either that, or you could just visit the store and observe the pharmacy.

im on my feet all 8 hours long.....new balance shoes ftw!!!

heck, the friday 2-10 shift at my store is so hard, i do 400 in that time period running around from safe, to computer, to questions, to customer arguments, i dont even get a chance to take a leak till at least 9pm let alone sit around

The store I work at (one of the large chains) only has 2 stools in it, district management does not want to provide more. The pharmacist really barely ever uses a stool. Also, I hear the PDM really frowns upon sitting down.

The store I work at (one of the large chains) only has 2 stools in it, district management does not want to provide more. The pharmacist really barely ever uses a stool. Also, I hear the PDM really frowns upon sitting down.

A doctor's visit to diagnose a back problem, a tape recorder, and a little ingenuity could land you a big check in this situation :cool::smuggrin:, in addition to the stool.

I have a Torn ACL with results in instability in my right knee, thus I bear more weight on my left knee resulting in arthritis. My orthopedic guy predicts that unless I get this ACL fixed, I'm looking at a knee replacement by age 40.

I'm guessing its a partial tear. I tore my ACL in half and couldn't walk. I now get shots in my knee and will have a knee replacement in the next 5-10 years because I didn't get it fixed for a while and ground all the meniscus out. Get the chit fixed.

I'm guessing its a partial tear. I tore my ACL in half and couldn't walk. I now get shots in my knee and will have a knee replacement in the next 5-10 years because I didn't get it fixed for a while and ground all the meniscus out. Get the chit fixed.

Nope, MRI confirms that it is a complete tear.

Nope, MRI confirms that it is a complete tear.

Dude, you owe it to your future self to get that fixed as soon as possible. And keep up the physical therapy. I was dumb and didn't keep it up after a small tear and I'm looking at surgery soon too.

Working as a mechanic for 5-1/2 years standing on concrete in boots 8-9 hours a day working over my head pretty much makes any other "standing" job a cakewalk from my point of view.

Hell, it makes almost any other job better in comparison. I hate cars.

I have interned at 3 different chains and never seen a pharmacist sit down while working. They sit on breaks and for lunch, that is all.

At the hospital I intern at, the pharmacists are seated and standing throughout the day, a good mix of both.

My dad has varicose veins and it is not an attractive look.

I have interned at 3 different chains and never seen a pharmacist sit down while working. They sit on breaks and for lunch, that is all.

At the hospital I intern at, the pharmacists are seated and standing throughout the day, a good mix of both.

My dad has varicose veins and it is not an attractive look.

Breaks? Lunch? That's a luxury in the retail world...
Yeah, statistics show that a lot of pharmacists have varicose veins due to the constant standing up at work.

Lol, I love how something as simple as a stool can be regarded as a luxury.

"No wayyyy!! You get to sit down?!?? LUCKYYYY!!!" :laugh:

Breaks? Lunch? That's a luxury in the retail world...
Yeah, statistics show that a lot of pharmacists have varicose veins due to the constant standing up at work.

Statistics show a lot of pharmacists have vericose veins? You mean someone has done research into this and came out with a statistical analyisis of vericous veins on Pharmacists. I like to see that....