do you know about accelerated programe in New england optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsgwz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in USA, looks like only in NECO have a accelerated programe. i am thinking apply for this programe. This is an accelerated optometry programe and only take 2 years in NECO school. i am wonderfing did somebody go for that programe? is it a good programe? will it be considered the same graduates as regular students who took four years programe after two years studying? how about jobing hunting? is it the same like regular programe?How is NECO school? what is its rank? the oddest thing is i can not find the optometry school ranks in internet. is anybody studying in that programe? please help me.
by the way, i heard somebody that optometry school in houston and berkeley are the top two rank optometry school in usa, is it ture? how about NECO? is it top third?

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

you are mistaken. The accelerated program doesn't mean you can get your od degree only after two years. It just means, instead of the traditional way of going to a university, doing the pre-req, then applying for opt school, you just are "accepted" into opt school, but you still have to do 2 years of pre-req at a school affiliated with neco, AND do the four year o.d. program. So 6 years total instead of the traditional 7-8 years (4 undergrad + 4 opt school)

why bother asking for ranking? Everyone is going to love their own school and hate on others.

i checked the website and make sure this is the programe for somebody who has got doctoral degree. i got my medical doctoral degree in other country, so i am qualified to apply fot it. just it seems nobody know about that programe. maybe it means that programe is not good. thank you for your reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone here has a doctorate degree applying to opt school.

Yea, I knew someone who was a Veterinarian in her country and was allowed to apply to that program. If she got in or not, I don't know. But I believe you have to have a doctoral degree or some kind of medical school experience.

The POD program is for doctorate level candidates only. MD, DDS, Phd holders can all apply for the POD prgram. It is a nontraditional route but probably a good one for someone who qualifies.

yes, it is for somebody who has doctoral degree. anyone knows about it? how is NECO school? i can not find their NBOE score in website, but i looked the NBOE score in berkeley school. it is really high in its school. so looks like berkeley may be really the first rank optometry school. hope some one know NEW ENGLAND optometry school and give me some information. thank you!

My anatomy professor recieved her OD via the advanced program at NECO for students already holding doctoral degrees. I don't know why, but she mentioned once that it was a program she did not recommend.

Try contacting NECO for more information.

wsgwz

first of all, SLOW DOWN. don't expect that if u don't get the answer ur looking for in 20 minutes, that no one can answer u.

there are 5 schools that have accelerated programs:

http://www.opted.org/info_faq.cfm#17

"Of the seventeen schools/colleges of optometry, the following will admit graduates of foreign schools to their programs with advanced standing:

* Illinois College of Optometry
* The New England College of Optometry
* Pennsylvania College of Optometry
* State University of New York, State College of Optometry
* University of Houston, College of Optometry"

NEWENCO and Penn seem to have the most established advanced-standing programs. PhDs in many opt schools get their ODs through this manner - even some of the more recognized OD faculty at some of these schools (though students would never know the difference and assume the faculty got their ODs in the traditional way).

as for rankings, u can almost just forget about them. the country ur from, they probably emphasize university rankings a lot. in the US, the optom school u graduated from is almost irrelevant. if u grew up in boston, u probably go to NEWENCO. that's about it - people typically go to their closest school. and there's a national licensing exam u have to pass - once u pass, ur all the same regardless of where u graduated.

but if u want more info about rankings still, see this thread here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=389478

"Of the seventeen schools/colleges of optometry, the following will admit graduates of foreign schools to their programs with advanced standing:

* Illinois College of Optometry
* The New England College of Optometry
* Pennsylvania College of Optometry
* State University of New York, State College of Optometry
* University of Houston, College of Optometry"

NEWENCO and Penn seem to have the most established advanced-standing programs.

I don't think most of these schools really offer advanced standing. At ICO advanced standing is only offered by testing out of each individual course, which would be tremendously annoying. Even the couple US and foreign trained physicians studying at ICO did not receive advanced standing.

I agree though that PCO and NECO are your best bets for an advanced placement program.

Thank you for your information. i think most of these schools list really do not trully offer advanced standing. but NECO really have that two years programe for foreign physician (doctoral degree).PCO also have, but take three and half years.
i have a doctoral degree of medicine, so i am qualifiedf for that programe.so do you guys think should i go for that programe in NECO and forget about other regular programe in other optometry school? i live in california. from the above post, looks like berkeley optometry school is a really good choice for me, but it does not have advanced standing programe like NECO, so i have to study for 4 years over there. NECO looks like not a really top school,not very well known which make me kind of frustrated.
go for a good school or go for a short programe but not a good school?

i am sorry. PCO school seems does not have advanced programe for doctoral level graduates. it only have accelerated programe for excellent high school students.
so looks New england optometry school is the only school provide that fast programe. what i should do? really thinking Berkeley school now?-----

berkeley is competitive to get into. i've contacted their admissions before on the subject of foreigners with advanced credentials.

the reply i got was that they basically treat eveyone equally and u have to provide the same basic undergraduate prerequisites that all applicants must have.

Basically you have to be a foreigner with connections. Foreign Doctors without connections need not apply.