Do you know any pharmacists who have been fired?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharaday

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Until recently I did not know of any pharmacists who had been fired. However, now all of a sudden there have been three that I know of in my area. Not sure of the reason for the firings since nothing has been said. Just wondering if this is happening more often, or if is is just a coincidence. The salary restructing thread makes me wonder if companies are just going to start paying new grads less while finding excuses to get rid of the more experienced ones.

Members don't see this ad.

Until recently I did not know of any pharmacists who had been fired. However, now all of a sudden there have been three that I know of in my area. Not sure of the reason for the firings since nothing has been said. Just wondering if this is happening more often, or if is is just a coincidence. The salary restructing thread makes me wonder if companies are just going to start paying new grads less while finding excuses to get rid of the more experienced ones.

i know a few pharmacists fired. i can probably say around 10 that i can think of off the top of my head. i saw some nasty politics take place, envy, pushing someone out.

someone fired for having one of the LOLIPOPS at their CVS, they said it was "stealing from company" even though they give out free.

there is a lot of this happening these days because they got pharmacists by the balls

the tables have turned with more saturation they have more pool, so they can pick and choose

Members don't see this ad :)
the tables have turned with more saturation they have more pool, so they can pick and choose

As it should be! I couldn't imagine running a business and having no control on who I can hire.

I know of 5 in my area in the last two years with 3 different companies.

one got fired for writing herself fraudulent VM rx's

one got fired for leaving the store during his shift

i know of one residency trained clinical coordinator who was fired for generalized incompetence

all of the retail ones i hear about usually involve the company giving that employee crap hours/crap stores to float to until they get fed up and quit themselves.

I know of a few hospital pharmacists who've been fired for general incompetence. It's pretty rare, but it does happen.

i know of one residency trained clinical coordinator who was fired for generalized incompetence

all of the retail ones i hear about usually involve the company giving that employee crap hours/crap stores to float to until they get fed up and quit themselves.

How to you get in a residency and become a coordinator if you have general incompetence? :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
How to you get in a residency and become a coordinator if you have general incompetence? :laugh:

finishing residency & doing well on an interview & having your references check out does not make you competent.

let's just say this guy/girl felt they were entitled to do minimal work as a clinical coordinator and let everything slip over the period of 1-2 years. after numerous warnings/poor performance reviews they were finally let go.

that doesn't make any sense. how do you fire a clinical coordinator for "general incompetence"

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of a few hospital pharmacists who've been fired for general incompetence. It's pretty rare, but it does happen.

i saw some hospital pharmacists that just let so many orders pile up in the queue but never got fired. i saw some pharmacist that couldnt do any computer entry at all. it was really insane.

i heard of another pharmacist that looked up a co-worker/pharmacist's medical past or gave out information to others about them being out of work for a medical reason. that pharmacist was terminated and later rehired (weird).

finishing residency & doing well on an interview & having your references check out does not make you competent.

let's just say this guy/girl felt they were entitled to do minimal work as a clinical coordinator and let everything slip over the period of 1-2 years. after numerous warnings/poor performance reviews they were finally let go.

wow, that sounds intense. the reason i say this is, what does a clinical coordinator actually do? coordinate clinical pharmacists or something?

do you know this girl/guy personally?

Last edited:
i know of some pharmacist that left his shift to buy cocaine, got caught with it and charged. he left the pharmacy the whole time!

now that is definitely a terminable offense!

i know a lot of retail guys. one was an older pharmacist that would walk out of the pharmacy all the time to get a coffee with a tech there. he worked in this pharmacy for around 15 years. they were taken over by one of the bigger corporate pharmacies. he was fired for getting the coffee. his numbers were fine though.

i know a female pharmacist that was fired for "general difficulty". she got pregnant and said she couldnt stand in the retail environment all the time. she had to take bathroom breaks etc. well after her pregnancy, they waited a few months and then terminated her. they said "it just didn't work out" which is nonsense because it was well known the management was pissed about her pregnancy, being out of work, requesting a stool, and bathroom breaks.

that doesn't make any sense. how do you fire a clinical coordinator for "general incompetence"

... the reason i say this is, what does a clinical coordinator actually do? coordinate clinical pharmacists or something?

Have you ever thought of going into comedy?

wow, that sounds intense. the reason i say this is, what does a clinical coordinator actually do? coordinate clinical pharmacists or something?

It varies somewhat from hospital to hospital, but generally they write or revise protocols for renal dosing, IV to PO conversions, vancomycin dosing, keep track of pharmacists' clinical interventions, participate in P&T, document ADRs. If they hospital has a residency program, the clinical coordinator is one of the people who runs it. At some hospitals, they're also in charge of APPE or IPPE rotations.

As far as the hospital pharmacists I know who've been fired... I'm also being vague on purpose, but let's just say they REALLY deserved it.

ya :(. he was an older pharmacist as well. so he facing a lot of trouble finding a new job because most pharmacies want to hire a young pharmacist to come in.

there is age discrimination out there despite what anyone says because companies dont want to hire an older pharmacist who may have a "voice" against certain practices

i know a female pharmacist that was fired for "general difficulty". she got pregnant and said she couldnt stand in the retail environment all the time. she had to take bathroom breaks etc. well after her pregnancy, they waited a few months and then terminated her. they said "it just didn't work out" which is nonsense because it was well known the management was pissed about her pregnancy, being out of work, requesting a stool, and bathroom breaks.

that could be worth an FMLA claim/lawsuit...at least make the firm pony up for a lawyer and then settle out-of-court with a non-disclosure agreement. if she's of a minority ethnicity, heck throw in a civil rights act claim.

that could be worth an FMLA claim/lawsuit...at least make the firm pony up for a lawyer and then settle out-of-court with a non-disclosure agreement. if she's of a minority ethnicity, heck throw in a civil rights act claim.

she was white. this happened when i was a student. the other pharmacists were talking about it. no idea if there was a lawsuit but they terminated her months after the pregnancy. this pharmacy had a "no stool" policy. they felt pharmacists should be standing and seen at all times so this conflicted with their idea of pharmacy.

CVS has gotten rid of many pharmacists. I believe due to age or having been with the company long enough to have quite a few benefits that they wouldn't be paying if they had a new graduate in their place.

Here are a list of the pharmacists that I know who have gotten the boot.

1. This one about three years ago had to take leave to go to his country because his mother was going to have some kind of surgery. CVS told him that if he came back he might not have a job. I never saw him again after he left. He was Indian.

2. This one was from the Islands. CVS kept writing her up for little things. Saying she wasn't managing the pharmacy right or something. Then they put her on some sort of a plan to get better. She'd been a pharmacist for a while and was older. This was about 2 years ago. She quit I believe before she got fired.

3. This one was an over night pharmacist who had over 10 years of experience. He worked in the hospital part-time and at CVS full-time. After his store stopped being 24hrs, since he was night shift, they moved him to a busy, busy store. They started writing him up for little things. I hope he wasn't dumb enought to keep bringing his laptop to work at that point. Anyway, he quit before they fired him and went back home to NJ where he is now working. He was NJ latin.

4. This is another over night pharmacist who used to work at the same store as the one in number 3. He was fired about 1 year or so before the one in number 3. He used to bring his laptop to work also. I never stayed long enough (because interns don't work overnight) to see if he watched movies on his laptop as the one above used to. He was a minority also.

5. This was a Hatian pharmacist. A very good one who was written up for not wearing his lab coat (He always dressed on point). He was smart, he saw the writting on the wall and quit. He went to Kmart where he used to work.

6. This is another Hatian pharmacist. I had spoken to him a year before this had happened, telling him that CVS is writing people up for any old reason and getting rid of them. They started writing this pharmacist up for things like- he didn't call a patient to tell them that their medication was covered, and saying that he has customer complaints. He too was later fired. He had 20 years with the company. This was 1.5 years ago.

7. Recently I stoped by another CVS pharmacy where I used to work. I too mentioned to this pharmacist that the company was cleaning house. He shrugged it off thinking that the others mentioned above had done something really wrong. He was fired a couple of weeks ago. No one knows why, because he's trying to fight it with lawyers. He had something like 20 years with the company too. And, I can tell you that he was a very, very good pharmacist- friendly, funny and on the ball. He was white, Jewish.

8. Another pharmacist I worked with was an older lady. I believe she had worked for quite a while with CVS as well. They fired her, I didn't find out why. She fought back and is floating. IMO if you are floating, and someone wants to get rid of you, all they have to do is say we don't have any hours. I wish the best for her, she was a good pharmacist too. This happened within this year. She was white.

9. This pharmacist I'd never worked with, but I've heard about this one. CVS asked him to work at another store. He didn't want to do so, as it was too far from his home. He was fired for something that had to do with one of those coupons. This was about 2 years ago.

10. Am sure I can think of a few others. This should suffice.

Last edited:
SCORE! I'm white, male and no minority religious affiliation. Seems like I'll be OK according to your experiences. But seriously, do you think with the increased supply of pharmacists that the minority ones will be pushed out first? Are they at an even greater disadvantage to find jobs?

SCORE! I'm white, male and no minority religious affiliation. Seems like I'll be OK according to your experiences. But seriously, do you think with the increased supply of pharmacists that the minority ones will be pushed out first? Are they at an even greater disadvantage to find jobs?

there is racism everywhere. i think it depends who the managers are. if they are racist or sexist you may see that. sometimes you see more women being hired over men for certain positions because they are "easier to get along with" according to some management i have been around.

i think what it will come down to is who they can tell what to do all the time and they will just do it. who will take a beating by management and corporate and be enslaved to them.

there is racism everywhere. i think it depends who the managers are. if they are racist or sexist you may see that. sometimes you see more women being hired over men for certain positions because they are "easier to get along with" according to some management i have been around.

i think what it will come down to is who they can tell what to do all the time and they will just do it. who will take a beating by management and corporate and be enslaved to them.

The nail that sticks out gets hammered down!

In a right to work State such as Texas you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all as long as it is not for a discrimatory reason. To be honest it would not be hard for a DM to fire a Pharmacist they did not like or was slow or was a pain in the ass always questioning everything.

The nail that sticks out gets hammered down!

exactly... one sticks out here... one will be targeted. gotta go with the flow no matter what

black-sheep%2B2.jpg

well we recently had pharmacists laid off at a local hospital

CVS has gotten rid of many pharmacists. I believe due to age or having been with the company long enough to have quite a few benefits that they wouldn't be paying if they had a new graduate in their place.

Here are a list of the pharmacists that I know who have gotten the boot.

1. This one about three years ago had to take leave to go to his country because his mother was going to have some kind of surgery. CVS told him that if he came back he might not have a job. I never saw him again after he left. He was Indian.

2. This one was from the Islands. CVS kept writing her up for little things. Saying she wasn't managing the pharmacy right or something. Then they put her on some sort of a plan to get better. She'd been a pharmacist for a while and was older. This was about 2 years ago. She quit I believe before she got fired.

3. This one was an over night pharmacist who had over 10 years of experience. He worked in the hospital part-time and at CVS full-time. After his store stopped being 24hrs, since he was night shift, they moved him to a busy, busy store. They started writing him up for little things. I hope he wasn't dumb enought to keep bringing his laptop to work at that point. Anyway, he quit before they fired him and went back home to NJ where he is now working. He was NJ latin.

4. This is another over night pharmacist who used to work at the same store as the one in number 3. He was fired about 1 year or so before the one in number 3. He used to bring his laptop to work also. I never stayed long enough (because interns don't work overnight) to see if he watched movies on his laptop as the one above used to. He was a minority also.

5. This was a Hatian pharmacist. A very good one who was written up for not wearing his lab coat (He always dressed on point). He was smart, he saw the writting on the wall and quit. He went to Kmart where he used to work.

6. This is another Hatian pharmacist. I had spoken to him a year before this had happened, telling him that CVS is writing people up for any old reason and getting rid of them. They started writing this pharmacist up for things like- he didn't call a patient to tell them that their medication was covered, and saying that he has customer complaints. He too was later fired. He had 20 years with the company. This was 1.5 years ago.

7. Recently I stoped by another CVS pharmacy where I used to work. I too mentioned to this pharmacist that the company was cleaning house. He shrugged it off thinking that the others mentioned above had done something really wrong. He was fired a couple of weeks ago. No one knows why, because he's trying to fight it with lawyers. He had something like 20 years with the company too. And, I can tell you that he was a very, very good pharmacist- friendly, funny and on the ball. He was white, Jewish.

8. Another pharmacist I worked with was an older lady. I believe she had worked for quite a while with CVS as well. They fired her, I didn't find out why. She fought back and is floating. IMO if you are floating, and someone wants to get rid of you, all they have to do is say we don't have any hours. I wish the best for her, she was a good pharmacist too. This happened within this year. She was white.

9. This pharmacist I'd never worked with, but I've heard about this one. CVS asked him to work at another store. He didn't want to do so, as it was too far from his home. He was fired for something that had to do with one of those coupons. This was about 2 years ago.

10. Am sure I can think of a few others. This should suffice.

this post is depressing

CVS is probably one of the most predatory and unethical companies I've ever seen as far as pharmacy goes (and possibly as far as any company anywhere goes). If you pay attention (at least in my area), you'll notice that across the street from nearly every little independent pharmacy that has been in existence for 30, 40 or 50 years is a brand new CVS pharmacy. What I've heard from more than one pharmacist in my area is that CVS usually offers to buy these little pharmacies out, and if they don't sell, CVS opens up shop <1 block away and drives them out of business. In addition to what the post above said about their hiring/firing practices, I would say this is reason enough for ALL pharmacists to refuse to work for this company, and to discourage all patients and providers from using them to fill Rx's. This sort of corporate over-control is eventually going to lead to the death of retail pharmacy as a career, mistakes due to understaffing or apathetic underpaid/overworked pharmacists, and probably injury to patients. The more control corporations are given over pharmacy, the greater the risk of salary cuts, short-staffings, limited resources, limited clinical roles (as if that weren't already a problem) and other changes to the profession which will ultimately benefit no one except the people in the corporate offices who know absolutely nothing about medicine and have no one's best interest in mind except their own. I may sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I have seen and continue to see this kind of corporate oversight damage the profession and ruin careers.

Case in point: I know someone personally who was fired from their position as staff pharmacist at an independent chain after CVS bought them out and decided to downsize. (In short, for no other reason than to improve their marginal revenue)

The sooner we stand up and take back the reigns of our profession, the sooner we can implement our OWN kinds of changes and possibly make things better for ourselves and our patients.

One more peice of information (and someone correct me if I'm wrong):
The owner of an independent pharmacy gave a presentation to my class when I was a student, and told us that if we wanted to make the salaries that were being offered by big chains and run our own independent pharmacy, we would only need to fill about 30 Rx's a day on average. If this is true, then someone please tell me where the extra $$ from stores that fill >100 Rx's per day goes? It certainly doesn't go to the technicians or pharmacists who are actually doing the work (ALL of the work, I might add). I might offer that the $$ goes to corporate officers who really do nothing for any of the staff or patients, but only serve to expand the company, build more new pharmacies while driving indies out of business, and then pocketing EVERY PENNY of profit and buying condos in the Hamptons, timeshares in the Caymans, and Limo rides to the stylist that charges them $300 for a haircut.

Is any of this making any sense to anyone?

Dear God, CVS is trying to put the competition out of business?!

Do you mean to tell me that the corporate officers try to earn their salaries off the backs of front lines workers?! Is that even legal?

The owner of an independent pharmacy gave a presentation to my class when I was a student, and told us that if we wanted to make the salaries that were being offered by big chains and run our own independent pharmacy, we would only need to fill about 30 Rx's a day on average.

Actually...you would need to do about 100 a day.

Actually...you would need to do about 100 a day.
A lot would depend on your front end too. With big corporations you don't worry about that side as much really, but when you're the one dealing with the entire store's finances and inventory, it can be a big factor. Old people love buying cards, and old people take lots of meds. Awesome synergy.

I know a pharmacist who was fired for being too lazy. she was written up multiple times and given lot of chance. She was even transferred to another store. She was eventually fired. Everyone who worked with her said that she was really bad, and she deserved it.

I believe that if they dont llike you, they can easily fire you given the oversupply of pharmacist

No one should be surprised that CVS is running off their high benefit highly compensated pharmacists. That's just business and it shouldn't be taken personally. Most of us greatly benefitted from the shortage during the last 15 years. They had frozen salary increases for the last two years. What did we think was coming next?

I wouldn't want to be an indie pharmacist today. They can still beat the chains in the area of customer service. They are going to make less than they did years ago due to mail order, $4 rx...etc. Much will be determined by the Healthcare Bill as to how they fare.

To put this into perspective, ask this question.

"Do you know of a profession where no one ever gets fired?"

There are lousy performers in every profession. Not terminating them isn't fair to good employees.

Unfair termination of course is a whole another topic.

Just because one has an RPh license doesn't mean their chit don't stink.

No one should be surprised that CVS is running off their high benefit highly compensated pharmacists. That's just business and it shouldn't be taken personally. Most of us greatly benefitted from the shortage during the last 15 years. They had frozen salary increases for the last two years. What did we think was coming next?

I wouldn't want to be an indie pharmacist today. They can still beat the chains in the area of customer service. They are going to make less than they did years ago due to mail order, $4 rx...etc. Much will be determined by the Healthcare Bill as to how they fare.

i dont know why people thought pharmacy would be different than any service or product. once corporate can take over and you allow it to happen, you are screwed.

Yeah. Me. I lost my job of 7 years last year, despite consistent above average reviews, and then all of a sudden they started writing me up for the strangest things, and refused to provide me with documentation that I had done them. It took over a year to find another job, and that one was through an agency and I realized I didn't want to sign on with this company when the regular employees told me they were having difficulty getting paid. :eek: :mad: In the meantime, I was contacted, interviewed, AND HIRED by the hospital I'm working at now (yes, it's FT and that's why you haven't seen me around here much lately :cool: ) and things are going quite well. Sure, I feel like I'm stumbling sometimes, but that's normal with a new job.

I had to hire a lawyer to get my unemployment, and at that time, he told me that in his 30 years of practice, he'd seen about 200 wrongful dismissal cases from the hospital. I saw him again in January for another issue, and he told me that in recent months, he was seeing 3 a week, and they were all telling my story - long term employees at the top of the pay scale at low risk for suing, and they were finding ways to kick them out. And ALL my co-workers I saw or posted with on Facebook said this place did me a huge favor. :( They'd quit in a microsecond, but they have student loans or families depending on them, so they're kind of stuck.

There was another hospital that let me go after 4 months; this job experience was so bad, I briefly considered surrendering my license. Several years later, I was asked in an interview why I left Hospital X after 4 months, and I hemmed and hawed a bit. He put his pen down and said, "You can tell me the truth. I've been told many times that Hospital X is a very difficult place to work at." Earlier this year, I was asked about it in a phone interview, and I said I was a poor fit for the job (which was true, even without embellishment) and he said his agency had had so many problems with that company, they didn't do business with them at all any more.

As for CVS, when they took over the Osco in that town, the pharmacy experienced 100% turnover within a matter of weeks. Several months later, I attended a reunion of an old employer (long story) and found out that the same thing happened at EVERY CVS merger store in the Quad Cities, the Twin Cities, and Madison, Wisconsin. Even people with kids in college, disabled spouses, etc. chose to walk away rather than put up with all that crap.

I know of a few pharmacists that have gotten fired.

One pharmacist was let go at hospital A because they were reducing staff in all departments. This pharmacist was a little lazy(always wanted to leave early) and would complain about everything. He was a younger pharmacist and was there for about 3yrs.

Hospital A and Hospital B also let go of overnight pharmacists that was still in the training period (first 90 days). They couldn't keep up and made a lot of mistakes. Both were foriegn trained...one was European and one was Middle Eastern.

My DOP is afraid of confrontation. I don't even know how he got that DOP job. Just the right time, at the right place I guess. This place would not fire anybody unless you smoke on hospital property.

There are lousy performers in every profession. Not terminating them isn't fair to good employees.

I completely agree with you. I probably should've asked if people had known anyone fired under questionable circumstances. I definitely know pharmacists who should be fired for various reasons,. The ones I know who were fire seemed very competent though. No one knows what the reasons were, though there may very well be good reasons that we are just not aware of.

It seems that bad pharmacists get fired, but good pharmacists are not spared either. What's the motivation for working our butts off then?

From now on every time my tech calls "There is a flu shot waiting for you!" I am going to start sneezing and coughing my lungs out that the entire store can hear. And then I will wipe my nose with my bare hands in front of the customer and ask in a congested voice, "Are you the one here for the shot?".

Reactions: 1 user
It seems that bad pharmacists get fired, but good pharmacists are not spared either. What's the motivation for working our butts off then?

From now on every time my tech calls "There is a flu shot waiting for you!" I am going to start sneezing and coughing my lungs out that the entire store can hear. And then I will wipe my nose with my bare hands in front of the customer and ask in a congested voice, "Are you the one here for the shot?".

that's a disservice to your patient, even if your company is pushing flu shots like french fries.

your relationship to your supervisor (even if you think they're a foul smelling biatch) isn't something to be ignored. sometimes you just have to buck up and deal with ****, even if it means being stuck for a few years and/or being fake. that's not selling out, it's called growing up.

if anything, this thread is a lesson that your best bet is to cover your ass and keep a paper trail, keep your skills active, and keep your networking up to date regardless of your so-called "job security" or age. be ready to jump and make your previous employer someone else's problem.

that's a disservice to your patient, even if your company is pushing flu shots like french fries.

your relationship to your supervisor (even if you think they're a foul smelling biatch) isn't something to be ignored. sometimes you just have to buck up and deal with ****, even if it means being stuck for a few years and/or being fake. that's not selling out, it's called growing up.

if anything, this thread is a lesson that your best bet is to cover your ass and keep a paper trail, keep your skills active, and keep your networking up to date regardless of your so-called "job security" or age. be ready to jump and make your previous employer someone else's problem.

Or be financially secure enough that you can flip them the bird and leave any time.

Or be financially secure enough that you can flip them the bird and leave any time.

impossible to do these days. people earn their money from their paycheck in this economic climate. rare to have people with passive income from other sources now.

impossible to do these days. people earn their money from their paycheck in this economic climate. rare to have people with passive income from other sources now.

i use to think the same about this issue. however, during my last year of pharmacy school, i got the chance to read the 4 hour work week by tim ferriss and that book changed my perspective on work!

i am now making 3/4 of a pharmacist salary in california with only 10 hours of "work" per MONTH. everything else is outsourced.

i just recently got my license and I am working part-time at a local independent pharmacy in northern CA. life is good (thus far)!

i use to think the same about this issue. however, during my last year of pharmacy school, i got the chance to read the 4 hour work week by tim ferriss and that book changed my perspective on work!

i am now making 3/4 of a pharmacist salary in california with only 10 hours of "work" per MONTH. everything else is outsourced.

i just recently got my license and I am working part-time at a local independent pharmacy in northern CA. life is good (thus far)!

i would like to hear more about this. care to share?

i would like to hear more about this. care to share?

buy the book! it's only $13 through amazon. its well worth the investment. if i found out about that book before entering pharmacy school, i would have never attended school.

instead of elaborating on what i do specifically, i refer you to the specific guidelines in the book. i specialize in different niches. my goal for the end of the year is to NET as much money as a pharmacist's GROSS salary per month.

with market uncertainty and a pharmacist surplus in the coming years, all new grads need to find another source of income. too many pharmacists (i know many) are living paycheck to paycheck. don't be a dumbarse and buy a new house, new car, and a new girlfriend!

i can say "f u" to my employer right now and quit and still live a comfortable life. but i won't because i love being a pharmacist so far. it is EASY work and i get to socialize with people from all walks of life.

P.S. if you are interested in making money on the side, i recommend that you stay away from the MLM companies such as Amway aka Quixtar, Avon, MonaVie,some vitamin scheme/male enhancement co and etc. In addition stay away from franchises (esp. that sandwich restaurant that seems to be everywhere you go). google is your friend. be smart, and invest in yourself!

P.S. if you are interested in making money on the side, i recommend that you stay away from the MLM companies such as Amway aka Quixtar, Avon, MonaVie,some vitamin scheme/male enhancement co and etc. In addition stay away from franchises (esp. that sandwich restaurant that seems to be everywhere you go). google is your friend. be smart, and invest in yourself!

agree with this point, lots of my poor non-educated friends get involved with **** like usana or other crap.

i'll admit, your posts sound suspicious and i know you're avoiding specifics for a reason, but it makes sense. without even having read the book, i already know my path forward involves some form of entrepreneurship (plan already being executed with success coming in fits/starts, no further elaboration).

i think that is a hard fought lesson our generation is picking up now with this protracted economic slump. gotta hustle for your $$ and not rely on jobs or any type of employer loyalty since employers have none to reciprocate.

Not a profession, but a type of company where it's difficult to get fired. Hint: It's not a private company.