Do you know any pharmacists who have been fired?

Started by pharaday
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems that bad pharmacists get fired, but good pharmacists are not spared either. What's the motivation for working our butts off then?

From now on every time my tech calls "There is a flu shot waiting for you!" I am going to start sneezing and coughing my lungs out that the entire store can hear. And then I will wipe my nose with my bare hands in front of the customer and ask in a congested voice, "Are you the one here for the shot?".

If you've ever been unemployed for a long period of time, you wouldn't be asking this question. Hint: rent, loan repayment, food, transportation- living in general
 
If you've ever been unemployed for a long period of time, you wouldn't be asking this question. Hint: rent, loan repayment, food, transportation- living in general

Good pharmacists include those who work their butts off. If those folks get fire too, it then does not matter whether you work your butts off. Employers will just fire you to replace you with someone who would settle for less pay. I know the fear of not being able to pay the bills will force many to work like mules, but my point is in the end, whether the company decide to keep you may not just depend on how much you sacrifice yourself for the company.
 
My hospital fired a couple of pharmacists within the last 2-3 years. One was a dog-lady, who had 30+ dogs at home, she likes to rescue them. Great, except she came to work smelling like dogs. :meanie: Another was a retail to hospital pharmacist. He just wasn't up to snuff, made a ton of mistakes that endangered patient's lives big time, he lasted 2 weeks. 😱

Having said that, there was another pharmacist. She was knowledgeable, did the job right, worked well with the staff, but she just couldn't establish a good relationship with the leadership. She's only working PRN now.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The hospital fired a pharmacist during his training period ??? Don't they normally train pharmacist first and then evaluate their performance later? Getting fired in 2 weeks sounds really harsh to me.
 
The hospital fired a pharmacist during his training period ??? Don't they normally train pharmacist first and then evaluate their performance later? Getting fired in 2 weeks sounds really harsh to me.

This was before my time. From what I heard, he got through interview calming to have more experience than he did. Apparently he didn't have a clue about inpatient meds, tried to wing it. Med errors reports and ADRs started flying in from the nursing, and next thing he was gone.
 
The hospital fired a pharmacist during his training period ??? Don't they normally train pharmacist first and then evaluate their performance later? Getting fired in 2 weeks sounds really harsh to me.

Not if the person is that big of a danger to patients. Lying on your resume, regardless of the job, will get you canned too.

After I left my previous hospital, an overnighter left and was replaced by a guy who (and I heard the same story from quite a few people):

1. Ate at his desk, continuously, and left crumbs all over the place.

2. Thought it was really funny to belch as loud as possible, multiple times a day.

3. The first night he was on the 10-hour overnight shift, he left the department over 20 times.

There were other things, but those were the main ones.

Just yesterday, a tech who had been there over 10 years was fired, and her attitude about it is :highfive: :soexcited: :clap: . Her kids are grown and her husband has a job with health insurance (he didn't for a long time) so she isn't all that worried about their financial situation. We are all sending her :biglove: and wishing her the best. I did warn her that she needs to be careful what she says about it on Facebook, which is how I found out about it (I now live 300 miles away). Most of the people I worked with there, excepting management of course, are really terrific people and I miss them.
 
The hospital fired a pharmacist during his training period ??? Don't they normally train pharmacist first and then evaluate their performance later? Getting fired in 2 weeks sounds really harsh to me.

I just remembered another one. About 10 years ago, I did some relief work at Target because they'd had a pharmacist quit after 2 weeks. In those 2 weeks, this pharmacist had been written up twice by the store manager, and two doctors in town reported her to the state board. 😱 The techs said they really liked her as a person, but she just couldn't do the job.
 
About 10 years ago, I did some relief work at Target because they'd had a pharmacist quit after 2 weeks. In those 2 weeks, this pharmacist had been written up twice by the store manager

WTF? Nice hierarchy they got going on there at Off-Target, unless magically the store manager also happens to be a pharmacist.
 
WTF? Nice hierarchy they got going on there at Off-Target, unless magically the store manager also happens to be a pharmacist.

I was thinking the same thing. I really drives me crazy that these companies give store managers so much authority over the pharmacy. Why have a pharmacy manager if they just have to report to the store manager? Especially when so many of the store managers (at least around here) know absolutely nothing about what takes place in the pharmacy. The store managers here even do reviews for the pharmacy manager, yet the pharmacy managers have no input on the store managers review. Maybe store managers would actually help us once in awhile if they knew that sitting in the office doing nothing while we are overwhelmed and short-staffed could be reflected in their review.
 
WTF? Nice hierarchy they got going on there at Off-Target, unless magically the store manager also happens to be a pharmacist.

I don't remember (if, indeed, I ever knew) exactly what they wrote her up for, except that a LOT of customers were complaining about her. Like I said, this was 10 years ago.
 
This question is for pharmatope: How dangerous is stool use? Some people seem to use it, most are too scared even with massive knee issues from not using the stool.
 
I saw my pharmacist get fired at Walgreens last week. He graduated Rho Chi, was the manager and had been there 10 years. It seems like retail is creating a trend; fire the most experienced pharmacists and higher new grads on the low, then work those grads into the ground and turn them over with the next batch. Anybody else witnessing this?
 
This question is for pharmatope: How dangerous is stool use? Some people seem to use it, most are too scared even with massive knee issues from not using the stool.

depends on the place. one pharmacy I was at removed all chairs and stools from the pharmacy entirely.
 
I've seen a CVS DM come into the pharmacy and talked to the pharmacist who was working that shift. About 30 minutes later, I could tell from the look in his eyes, that it was going to be his last day as a CVS Pharmacist. He was an older pharmacist and I could tell that he was going to be fired or let go because he was slow and was not good at giving flu shots.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw my pharmacist get fired at Walgreens last week. He graduated Rho Chi, was the manager and had been there 10 years. It seems like retail is creating a trend; fire the most experienced pharmacists and higher new grads on the low, then work those grads into the ground and turn them over with the next batch. Anybody else witnessing this?

Why did they fire him?
 
Why did they fire him?

I don't know exactly, but techs that I worked with said that the DM was looking for an excuse and they told me that his numbers has been slipping for the past 2 years. And his "slowness" was a big complaint among coworkers and customers.

I quit CVS the following month. Hate working for them. KPI, SSS, CSI, MTV, BET, blah blah too many metrics, however the DM was fantastic and one of the nicest people I know!
 
I know a few pharmacists that were fired recently. 2 were pharmacy managers that were fired because they were price modifying psc to make their numbers look good . one was writing his own script and fill it under random doctor name. one was , an overnight pharmacist who was consistently using the pharmacy back door to go use the restroom. i heard she was warned multiples times not to do so
 
I saw my pharmacist get fired at Walgreens last week. He graduated Rho Chi, was the manager and had been there 10 years. It seems like retail is creating a trend; fire the most experienced pharmacists and higher new grads on the low, then work those grads into the ground and turn them over with the next batch. Anybody else witnessing this?

Yes.

Retail is the devil; it's all about bottom line. You can have 10+ years of experience and be worth LESS to the company than a brand-spanking-new hire. Why? Salary.
 
I have been fired. I moved a great distance to work at this small pharmacy. I worked there a few days, helping everyone, staying over every night. A week later the boss lets me go. I had chosen a pharmacy that was a revolving door, and I ran out of money from the move and not being able to pay my bills. My boss the pharmacy manager left her pharmacy job the next month. I heard from someone that they would rather hire temp pharmacists so the company gets tax breaks. Also since there is an endless supply of graduates now they can hire and fire people easier for any reason at all and not have to pay them benefits. The surplus of graduates is affecting all of us. I believe that a lot of us don't have job security anymore, and I recommend always saving up as much money as possible.
 
I personally know a CVS pharmacist (went to school with him) who hates the company and does everything to screw them over. He would write fake rxs for himself from voicemail(no controls though), steal ED drugs, gives free 30 day supplies to patients (maintenance meds that are awaiting MD authorization), and uses discount cards to cash patients. He's pretty good at it and has been doing it for years.
 
I know a pharmacist who was with the evil company everyone talks about for 10 years ,and they let him go for nonsense reasons like they were looking for excuses to get rid of him. He thinks the real reason was because they were paying him too much, but he had worked there for 10 years. One of the kindest and hardest workers ever. If someone is looking for a reason to fire you, then they will.

What I've been telling people is to boycott the evil company. I've been telling everyone, including celebrities, how unfair the company is, and how badly they treat people. Let's hit them where it hurts- at their wallet, like they did to us.

I still say that telling everyone you know to boycott the company is the answer. Most of the hundreds of people I've spoken to would never shop or use the evil company anyways.
 
Last edited:
I personally know a CVS pharmacist (went to school with him) who hates the company and does everything to screw them over. He would write fake rxs for himself from voicemail(no controls though), steal ED drugs, gives free 30 day supplies to patients (maintenance meds that are awaiting MD authorization), and uses discount cards to cash patients. He's pretty good at it and has been doing it for years.

And this guy gets away with it?!?!? Does he have nude pictures of the CEO, or what?

Could you PM me and tell me where this pharmacist lives (state only is all the information I want)? I have a strong feeling that I may know who this is.
 
Salary is not a factor in management of talent. DM/Sups are willing to pay more if that experience translates into better numbers.

Also, just because somebody has been working for longer does not mean that they get paid more. During the pharmacy boom years, new graduates were getting offered more than existent salaries.

I think age plays the biggest part. Being slow, not meeting numbers, etc. A huge part of that has to do with the pharmacist being stuck in his old ways, not being able to re-think how pharmacy works and adapting to newer ways of doing things. I worked with many "older" pharmacists who get paid more, but are still around even though they are slow because they do things the right way and adapt.

I have also have worked with many pharmacists who refuse to do registers, learn how to bill insurances or work a computer properly. As nice as they might be, I end up picking the slack... or my techs suffer when I am not around. They also make more mistakes because they can't keep up with new drugs or because they cant see well with old computer screens and bad scanners. I know of a pharmacist who uses a magnifying glass... no matter how many times I tell him about the zoom in and out button.

Same goes for older techs.....

Figure I would put in an input that many people don't think about or would ever understand.
 
Last edited:
I know a pharmacist who was with the evil company everyone talks about for 10 years ,and they let him go for nonsense reasons like they were looking for excuses to get rid of him. He thinks the real reason was because they were paying him too much, but he had worked there for 10 years. One of the kindest and hardest workers ever. If someone is looking for a reason to fire you, then they will.

What I've been telling people is to boycott the evil company. I've been telling everyone, including celebrities, how unfair the company is, and how badly they treat people. Let's hit them where it hurts- at their wallet, like they did to us.

I still say that telling everyone you know to boycott the company is the answer. Most of the hundreds of people I've spoken to would never shop or use the evil company anyways.

.... a person can be nice or kind, but does that person make him a better employee? I worked with many techs who are nice/kind but they cant do basic math and always give out the wrong meds. By that reasoning, should I still keep them?

and I don't know about you... but this evil company paid me 200k last year, and same for this year. I think many posters on this forum got paid the same. don't know how they are hurting my wallet....

but apparently this evil company still fills a billion prescriptions literally, and did 1.2 trillion in sales last year. Mind blown.
 
I personally know a CVS pharmacist (went to school with him) who hates the company and does everything to screw them over. He would write fake rxs for himself from voicemail(no controls though), steal ED drugs, gives free 30 day supplies to patients (maintenance meds that are awaiting MD authorization), and uses discount cards to cash patients. He's pretty good at it and has been doing it for years.

lol.... I personally know many CVS RPH who do the same. They steal drugs by avoiding the camera.

I personally give out lots of meds including birth controls that are waiting for authorization, and use discount cards. I also have a very liberal return policy. It is not my money, and I save myself a lot of time and stress from arguing with the customer.
 
I know a pharmacist who was with the evil company everyone talks about for 10 years ,and they let him go for nonsense reasons like they were looking for excuses to get rid of him. He thinks the real reason was because they were paying him too much, but he had worked there for 10 years. One of the kindest and hardest workers ever. If someone is looking for a reason to fire you, then they will.

What I've been telling people is to boycott the evil company. I've been telling everyone, including celebrities, how unfair the company is, and how badly they treat people. Let's hit them where it hurts- at their wallet, like they did to us.

I still say that telling everyone you know to boycott the company is the answer. Most of the hundreds of people I've spoken to would never shop or use the evil company anyways.

You know celebrities?
 
And this guy gets away with it?!?!? Does he have nude pictures of the CEO, or what?

Could you PM me and tell me where this pharmacist lives (state only is all the information I want)? I have a strong feeling that I may know who this is.

Nah I dont think you know him, apparently from the comments here many pharmacists do this (for what its worth we graduated 7 years ago from a midwest school that is ranked top 15 in the nation) . He also does stupid stuff to customer' meds (the ones he doesnt like) by putting their meds in his mouth and spitting it back to the bottle LOL. The only reason I think he is still there is the store is in a very bad part of town and is hard to staff (ghetto customers and lots of fake rxs)
 
Nah I dont think you know him, apparently from the comments here many pharmacists do this (for what its worth we graduated 7 years ago from a midwest school that is ranked top 15 in the nation) . He also does stupid stuff to customer' meds (the ones he doesnt like) by putting their meds in his mouth and spitting it back to the bottle LOL. The only reason I think he is still there is the store is in a very bad part of town and is hard to staff (ghetto customers and lots of fake rxs)

:scared: 😡 :wow:

This guy did that sort of thing too, in addition to telling Medicaid patients that it would be an hour and making them wait an hour even if it wasn't busy. 😡 He did not do that when I was there, because I wouldn't allow it. Other store employees told me that they'd seen him taking amoxicillin, cough syrup, etc. into the bathroom. God knows what he did to them in there. :barf: We worked there when it was still Osco, and he graduated about 20 years ago so it couldn't be him, plus that store was in a rural community.

Good luck for him trying to explain this to the state board when he finally gets caught. :slap:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes Unchained, I know tons of celebrities, and I tell them all not to shop at that evil company. Everything helps in the boycott. I don't care how much revenue they make in a year, that still doesn't make them a great company. The evil company ruined my life, and countless other pharmacists and pharmacy technicians that I know.
 
lol.... I personally know many CVS RPH who do the same. They steal drugs by avoiding the camera.

I personally give out lots of meds including birth controls that are waiting for authorization, and use discount cards. I also have a very liberal return policy. It is not my money, and I save myself a lot of time and stress from arguing with the customer.

Aznfarmerboi, you say you are all for helping the evil company but in essence you are bilking the evil company out of money too. So one could say you are on our side.👍

If you or someone you know has been unfairly treated,
Boycott the evil company, tell people not to shop there. Everything counts. Thanks.
 
I saw my pharmacist get fired at Walgreens last week. He graduated Rho Chi, was the manager and had been there 10 years. It seems like retail is creating a trend; fire the most experienced pharmacists and higher new grads on the low, then work those grads into the ground and turn them over with the next batch. Anybody else witnessing this?

I don't think Wal-mart is like that. However, correct me if I m wrong. But, most of the times when a pharmacist gets written up at Wal-mart, they are trained further (in AK), and return back to work.
 
Is the "evil company" three letters?

Charlie's Velcro Sneakers?