Do you live in FL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MommyMedStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I made a C in Bio I last semester, granted it was my 2nd pre-req class so I'm not sweating it however, I wanted to retake it. The college said NO it's a state law in Florida? that you can not even retake a class that you get a C or above in, not for a better grade, not for ****s and giggles, you CAN'T retake it. Is that true?!?!?! My teacher this semester suggested that I take it online out of state......what do you all think? or know?

Members don't see this ad.

I just googled it

I was told I could not retake the class because in the state of Florida, if you get a D or F you can retake the course, but anything better and you are stuck. I tried to take it at another school altogether and was told by the counselor it was a statewide "law" and there was nothing to do about it.

...........ahhh that really stinks :thumbdown: guess you can't really do much else :( ........that's ridiculous you can't take a course again unless it's a D or F .....

my schools policy:

A student may attempt any course twice. A student who wishes to attempt a course for the third and last time must meet with a counselor or advisor, who has the authority to grant or not grant the third attempt. (*In any health careers program, the student must obtain the signature of the program director.) The College will use the best grade earned in the course to calculate the student's GPA. However, the grade from each course attempt will appear on the student's transcript.

Okay, so I made a C in Bio I last semester, granted it was my 2nd pre-req class so I'm not sweating it however, I wanted to retake it. The college said NO it's a state law in Florida? that you can not even retake a class that you get a C or above in, not for a better grade, not for ****s and giggles, you CAN'T retake it. Is that true?!?!?! My teacher this semester suggested that I take it online out of state......what do you all think? or know?
Try to retake it at another school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake and do grade replacement on ACCOMAS, or at least on AMCAS it will be averaged. Since it is Bio, I would simply recommend taking an upper division biology like Genetics or Physiology. I think that shows you are capable of doing the level of work that is required. I got a C in Gen Bio I and straight As in upper div bio... things worked out more than ok for me.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't retake it at another college in Florida, it's a FL STATE law =O( So in order to take it out of state I would have to apply to that college, pay the fees, get the transcripts, and then pay for the class out of pocket since I can't get financial aid at my college and another one and take it online. So basically what I should have asked is.....is it worth it to do all of that for a C in Bio I? I passed lecture with a C and failed lab with a D, but I am retaking it this summer and we are 5 weeks into the class (out of 10) and I have an A. That C still irks me though, darn crappy professors!!!!

Hold on with the financial aid.... Yes, you can apply your financial aid to courses at another school, but there is a trick to doing it, basically, you need to take out your max amount for your credits and then take the class elsewhere. I know of a couple online general bio classes offered in CO, but I am not sure if they are the same level as the one you took, so I don't know if they would count for retake credit. Here's another idea, over the course of a bachelors degree, one C to an A is a very small difference, and just taking another course and getting an A could make the difference. Most schools have app fees of about 20$, and if you're non-degree many times you don't need to forward transcripts, but again, that's ~5$. So is 25$ worth spending to take this class in another state? I'd say likely it is...

I pm'd you some info about some online bio courses...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I got caught by this as well. I got a C in Chemistry 1 because I got a new job that had me flying all over the place at the end of the semester and I tanked the final. When I started back this year, I wanted to retake it, not just for the grade but as a refresher. I was informed of this law and not allowed to retake. It sucks as I have straight A's and 1 C.

Yes I live in Florida. This must be a new law. My son retook Physics and he made a B the first time. The retake was years later. Does school have grade forgiveness. I know AMCAS will still see both grades But an A would help. Are you sure it is a state law. I am looking at the current UNF catalog and there is no mention of any GPA to retake a course. Do you already have a degrree?

I retook at a private school (not because of a grade though, because it was a really really long time ago). UM is 5500 for a 3 credit class just to give an idea.

No, I do not have a degree, yep it's a state wide law =/ I don't know when it was enforced, which is why I can't take it U of Miami ... I got some good advice from a friend to work around it so I think I will try that ;)

I think you are worrying more than you need to!! Relax. Retake that lab, do very well in upper division bio. This is more common than you might think.