Does working as a Resident Aide in assisted living count as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Premedandpanicking

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does working as a Resident Aide in assisted living count as clinical experience? I would be helping residents with grooming, bathing etc
 
People are probably going to go either way with this, but I would say yes. It does help you to practice bedside manner and understand human dignity, which are important. I wouldn't rely on it as my ONLY clinical experience, however. I'd also engage in something (outside of shadowing) where you are interacting with physicians in some capacity, like a hospital, private practice, clinic, etc. Good luck!

Edit: You may want someone else's feedback on whether this falls under the "employment" section vs. the clinical experience section, or both, on applications. I never worked in healthcare so I don't know the logistics of classifying it.
 
I worked as an LNA, and I listed it on my application as clinical, but I was also passing meds in addition to doing care. It wasn't my only clinical experience, but I listed it as paid clinical on applications.