Do you need a graphing calculator at medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have one from high school, which I basically never used for undergrad. I'd rather sell it now if we won't ever need it in medical school (which is what I am thinking...why would you need a graphing calculator??). It'll probably be useless unless I want to use it to play games...and then again, why would anyone play games on the calculator anyway... Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

lol just as much as you'll need you calc notes from ug -- be sure to save those!

kidding, but I do know that the MD/MPH and MD/PhD students at my institution do take a biostats class (very minor), where it may be useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one from high school, which I basically never used for undergrad. I'd rather sell it now if we won't ever need it in medical school (which is what I am thinking...why would you need a graphing calculator??). It'll probably be useless unless I want to use it to play games...and then again, why would anyone play games on the calculator anyway... Any input?

yea bro, we're plotting all sorts of points in anatomy lab.

Well, considering I made it through med school without even knowing what a graphing calculator is, that probably gives you your answer. You'll need a basic calculator for the wards, but an app on a smart phone is probably much more useful since you'll want to have Epocrates, etc on hand anyhow.

Everyone needs a graphing calculator with them at all times.

In all seriousness, I cannot imagine why you would need one for medical school. I am borderline insane and do math problems for fun, and just love numbers, so I actually do have mine in my European satchel at all times. They are quite handy though.

I'm pretty sure biochem and maybe physio are the only classes that require any sort of math beyond arithmetic, and a simple calculator would suffice. I did break out my TI-83 once to do some quick stats calculations, but I'm pretty sure you can get an app on your phone to do that for you.

A simple calculator would be more than enough for the calculations you'll make in physio. You can probably use a graphing calculator, but they'll wipe the memory before each exam.

You might benifit from a Financial Calculator to monitor your debt.:D

Well I would imagine it would come in handy when your game boy dies in class. That's how my calculator is utilized since we aren't allowed to use it.

Just remembered, I have to recharge my game boy for lecture tomorrow.

From what med students have told me there is very minimal "calculational" math (involving graphing calcs).

...But you really made it through undergrad without using it once? I've been using it every semester (not a math related major either) :eek:

Well I would imagine it would come in handy when your game boy dies in class. That's how my calculator is utilized since we aren't allowed to use it.

you have a rechargeable gameboy??

From what med students have told me there is very minimal "calculational" math (involving graphing calcs).

...But you really made it through undergrad without using it once? I've been using it every semester (not a math related major either) :eek:

Yea. No graphing calculators were allowed on any of the exams not that they would have been helpful anyway. :laugh:
Looks like I will be selling my "graphing calculator" for some cash. I can add that to my med school fund. :smuggrin:

:thumbup:

I love my TI-83. Had it since 11th grade and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

I would think you would need a graphing calculator for rectal exams to calculate the coordinates to determine how far you need to stick your finger up someone's asymptote.

My biostats class doesn't even allow calculators for the exam. The math is supposed to be simple enough to do in your head. They let us bring a regular calculator for one of our physio exams, but it really wasn't too necessary.

If you get involved in research and need to do some stats, they have computer programs for that.

So no graphing calculator needed.