Do you need an MD/PhD to become a neurosurgeon?

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that technically you don't. You just need an MD. But realistically is it necessary? I read somewhere that like 94% of neurosurgery residents have previous research experience.

Members don't see this ad.

No, as long as you have a MD or DO you'll be able to match neurosurgery. That being said many applicants have a PhD before hand, many programs do 2 out of 7 years doing research, and being a competitive program most applicants do research their first 2 years to maximize their chances.

Having research experience is definitely a plus, but the vast majority are not MD PhDs. I believe about 10%? I'd have to check the recent match stats.

Edit: Yep 10% of match US MD students applying to neurosurgery for the first time had a MD PhD .

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above: previous research does not necessarily mean a PhD.

I would venture that the field most likely to have the combined degree would be radiation oncology.

You would be correct, at least for those entering residency. In 2011, 22% of those matched in rad onc had a PhD. This is followed by pathology (17%), neurology (12%), neurosurgery (10%), dermatology (9%), plastic surgery (7%), and IM (6%). All other specialties are 5% or less.

So when and where are these people getting all their research? Is it counting undergraduate research? What about non PhD research in medical school?

So when and where are these people getting all their research? Is it counting undergraduate research? What about non PhD research in medical school?

Probably some of it is undergrad research, although I don't know how much that would help.

Most people planning on a competitive specialty do research during med school. That can range from a few hours per week during preclinical years, to taking a block or two of elective time during clinics to do research, to taking off an entire year (unusual).

A significant chunk of neurosurgery applicants also take a year off to do a NIH, Doris Duke, or Howard Hughes grant (or a similar one like Sarnoff, etc etc.)

But then wouldn't they no longer be considered "US seniors"?

No, they're still "fourth year students" even if this is their fifth year there.

Oh so they just talk to administration and tell them they want to stay another year and do research?

Wouldn't it cost another ~$50,000?

Oh so they just talk to administration and tell them they want to stay another year and do research?

Wouldn't it cost another ~$50,000?

No, you don't pay tuition though your program may pay certain things to your school such as insurance, etc. People take it typically between their 3rd and 4th years so that they can still be a US senior.

A big portion of med students have "research experience". For most of them it's just helping with a faculty member's project for a summer or co-authoring a case report with a resident. Not a big lengthy basic science project that I think you're imagining (even though you can make time for that if you that's your thing).

Ahhhh. I see. Gracias