do you need to be in a club?

Started by Admires
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

join something. Most of the ones at my school don't do much,but you have to play the game.
 
You don't have to join a club but you have to be more than "Dull Jack" who is all work and no play.

What do you do for fun? Do you have any hobbies? Play a musical instrument or otherwise engage in artistic performances? Enjoy and regularly participate in a studio art? Engage in any outdoor or athletic activities? Do you belong to any non-university affiliated groups that engage in social, educational or philanthropic activity? This could be religious, ethnic, political, etc. You should be involved in something, either through a campus group or otherwise, that you do because you enjoy it. Even better, it should be something that gives you the opportunity to engage with others toward a common goal (e.g. better as part of a trio or quartet than a solo musician) .
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My impression is that you should have something else, but not necessarily a school club if none of those interest you. There will be plenty of other applicants who look just like this, but who also have significant non-medical experiences in one or more clubs, organizations, or hobbies.
 
Well I have a lot of hobbies but none are really affiliated with any program. I cook a lot, I play piano, I play volleyball with a friends pretty much every other day, and I watch Netflix occasionally. I don't really do anything through a program/structured group though.

Have you been keeping track of your Netflix hours so you can put them on your app accurately?
 
Have you been keeping track of your Netflix hours so you can put them on your app accurately?
I'm pretty sure I'll just list seasons rather than hours. Hopefully the interviewer and I will have some common programs that we watch.
 
You can fill one space on your application with "Hobbies" and then describe: cooking, volleyball and piano. Write an extra sentence with more details. I enjoy cooking seasonal vegetables and trying new vegan recipes. I am an avid participant in pick-up volleyball games and play 3 or 4 times per week. I have been playing piano since the age of 9 and usually play ragtime and jazz.

The point is to make you seem like a real person with interests and passions. It also helps an interviewer who wants to break the ice with a question about a mutual interest like cooking or jazz.