SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Do you recommend this?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by brickmanli, Jan 16, 2002.

  1. brickmanli

    brickmanli Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Jan 10, 2002
    I just received an interview to the University of Chicago at the end of February. I haven't heard anything from Northwestern yet. I would like to save money on transporation if I can. What do you think of me calling Northwestern to inquire about my status and ask them to give consideration into this situation? Would it reflect negatively?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. nebula7

    nebula7 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Jan 10, 2002
    I don't think there would be anything wrong with calling and explaining your situation. I know some schools will expedite review of your app to let you know if you'll get an interview or not, if it will save you on airfare.
  4. The Fly

    The Fly Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    In some instances, you can put pressure on a school in order to secure an interview. However, I highly doubt that asking them to expedite the decision on your app *post*-interview (Northwestern, that is) would do anything except hurt your chances there. Unfortunately, you're going to have to make a judgement call as to whether you want to go on the U Chicago interview...

    Keep in mind that the schools are very nearly opposites in that NUMS is a far more progressive school (curriculum-wise) and is extremely different from UChicago. Why don't you read some of the NUMS vs. chicago posts on this site from a while back and see if that helps!

    Good luck!
  5. tBw

    tBw totally deluded 7+ Year Member

    Oct 6, 2001
    infront of an iMac
    As you are taking time off to go, will be in the area and are paying for the airfare, I think such a request is not only reasonable, but probably expected (ie lots of people ask the admissions staff the exact same thing every year). As long as you are polite and willing to take "Sorry we can't arrange that" as an answer I think you have nothing to lose.
  6. The Fly

    The Fly Senior Member 7+ Year Member



    I thought you were talking about expediting the decision on your app post-interview. I have no idea what I was thinking. Yes, by all means, try to see if you can secure a NUMS interivew by gently explaining your situation...

    Sorry for the aforementioed 'advice!'

Share This Page