Do you resent in staters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you resent in staters

• Yes

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • I am an in stater

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarzMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The amount of slots taken up by in staters is greater than the amount of slots taken up by any other group. So, do you resent in staters because they are given preference at their state schools?

Members don't see this ad.

MarzH05 said:
The amount of slots taken up by in staters is greater than the amount of slots taken up by any other group. So, do you resent in staters because they are given preference at their state schools?

No but I resent out of staters who take my friends' spots in OUR state schools :laugh:

There are enough private schools to go to if you're a public hata. All but 2 of the 24 schools I applied to were private. Plus, state schools are usually rated less highly, so if you are so obsessive to care about the state thing (like the URM thing, ad nauseum) then you are probably obessive enough to have outrageous grades/MCAT and get in to a higher ranked, private school. Most people don't want to go to state schools outside of their state, except maybe in Cali and at U Mich. If you speak of the reduced tuition, well, residents (and their families) pay taxes to support the school. As a resident staying in the area to go to med school, you are more likely to stay for residency and practice in that area. At state schools, you are also more likely to go into primary care. There is favoritism along those lines as well if you interview at a state school.

I'm going to U Mich, and I am a resident. U Mich is weird because they take more non-residents than residents. Even when they do take residents there, they have exceptional numbers and personalities because there are many high achievers there already, like at U Mich undergrad. U Mich and UCLA are the two schools with the MOST pre-med undergrads in the US. I didn't go there for undergrad, however. I will say that even though I applied to schools ranked higher than my state school, I'm giving preference to my state school in great part because of family reasons. I know that if you tell most schools, public or private, that your family is in the area, they will give special consideration.

Do you have a school you are applying to out-of-state that is public? If so, what are your reasons?

Members don't see this ad :)
BrettBatchelor said:
I know this is in response to the URM thread but if you want me to explain let me know.

Well I just thought it was pretty much the same situation as the URM situation. So I wanted to find out whether it is just the nature of premeds on SDN to be resentful, or whether it is actually racially based.

Well considering how state schools are funded largely by tax dollars, many legislative bodies have mandated that those funds should go to educating X% of their own state. They will also be more likely to stay in state as a physician as well. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I'll end it there as there isn't enough character space to continue on about tax dollar use.

BrettBatchelor said:
Well considering how state schools are funded largely by tax dollars, many legislative bodies have mandated that those funds should go to educating X% of their own state. They will also be more likely to stay in state as a physician as well. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I'll end it there as there isn't enough character space to continue on about tax dollar use.

You have yet to convince me that it is different. I think you can make the same argument of URM, instead inserting the appropriate words.

MarzH05 said:
You have yet to convince me that it is different. I think you can make the same argument of URM, instead inserting the appropriate words.

How does his statement apply to URMs? Are they paying special taxes to special URM schools!? Please don't bring the issue of URMs where it doesn't belong. One active thread about the topic is enough.

NJDUDE said:
How does his statement apply to URMs? Are they paying special taxes to special URM schools!? Please don't bring the issue of URMs where it doesn't belong. One active thread about the topic is enough.

I was not trying to just turn it into an URM thread. I really wanted to know if SDN were just resentful people in general. So vote, and move on. It will only turn into a URM thread if you let it, please dont.

No for Colorado
Yes for every other state :laugh:

BTW if you couldn't guess I'm from CO

MarzH05 said:
I really wanted to know if SDN were just resentful people in general.

:thumbdown:

MarzH05 said:
I was not trying to just turn it into an URM thread. I really wanted to know if SDN were just resentful people in general. So vote, and move on. It will only turn into a URM thread if you let it, please dont.

Wouldn't a better question be "Are you resentful of out of staters?" Afterall, they are the ones who are taking up spots at "your" state school.

How can you be resentful of in staters? Well, maybe if they're from a state where it's easy (relatively) to get into a state school there versus at your own state schools.

One of the reasons I wanted to get the hell out of dodge for undergrad and go to a private school was because I wanted more geographic diversity. Well, turns out this private school has a huge amount of in-staters, especially people from the same darn city and its suburbs.

I can never win sometimes. :laugh:

So far, this thread is proving to me that premed students are just naturally resentful because of the limited slots in medical school. Keep the data coming.

an in-stater is most likely to practice within the state when they are done with their residency. therefore, paying to educate these in-staters will help the state itself by supplying it with physicians.

this is not the same as URMs because a) a URM does not necessarily get cheaper tuition, b) is not necessarily going to remain in the state and serve that state's population, and c) in-state status involves money, not race.

yourmom25 said:
an in-stater is most likely to practice within the state when they are done with their residency. therefore, paying to educate these in-staters will help the state itself by supplying it with physicians.

this is not the same as URMs because a) a URM does not necessarily get cheaper tuition, b) is not necessarily going to remain in the state and serve that state's population, and c) in-state status involves money, not race.

Please keep your responses limited to the question at hand. Like I said, I do not want to make this a URM thread. Whether you think it is applicable is besides the point. I know I will come up with my own conclusions about the data, and you your own. But do not derail the thread.

I love in staters.

But I am very resentful of babies.

MarzH05 said:
Please keep your responses limited to the question at hand. Like I said, I do not want to make this a URM thread. Whether you think it is applicable is besides the point. I know I will come up with my own conclusions about the data, and you your own. But do not derail the thread.
holy crap dude, stop being so defensive. the question at hand is "do i resent in-staters?" i explained why i thought in-staters should receive "preferential" treatment. i understand that i didn't clearly state it but it was implied in my argument.

here. i support the idea of in-staters.

everyone has a state school at which they're given preference so this is a really stupid poll. do you resent yourself for being an in-stater in your home state? honestly.

i resent my state for not liking instaters enough. :) i pay taxes here, and i want to practice here after i graduate. honestly, i should get preferential treatment from my state school. we'll see how that one works out.

i've got to admit that it also does suck that some people have a so much easier time applying and getting accepted just because they live in a friendly state. it's especially lame when people from these states act all superior to offshore and osteopathic grads.

MarzH05 said:
Well I just thought it was pretty much the same situation as the URM situation. So I wanted to find out whether it is just the nature of premeds on SDN to be resentful, or whether it is actually racially based.
I realize you're playing off of the URM thread, but we really don't need this.

Status
Not open for further replies.