Do you see any red flags?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holidays946

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! So I started undergrad when I was 22 years old because I started working right out of high school then had a change of heart and decided to go pre-dental. I went to a community college first for a year (plus summer session), got all A's, then I transferred to a large public university and majored in biology. I've completed 2 semesters and a summer session so far but there are already aspects of my transcript that concern me.

1) I am worried that my course-load is not heavy enough (around 12-13 credits per semester) My summer session consisted of 2 classes (like 5 credits or something). I even had a semester with 11 credits. Majority of the courses are science courses.

2) Unfortunately last September in the beginning of the fall semester I suffered a debilitating knee injury and was unable to commute to school. I took a medical leave of absence (withdrew the term). Since I recovered from my injury in the middle of the fall semester, I had a lot of free time and began working as a dental assistant. I loved it in the beginning and thought I would make it my career and ended up skipping the spring semester as well! Then I realized how repetitive it got and decided I wanted to be the one drilling and not sucking. lol (i've been out of school for close to a year now, but I'm registered for this fall semester and ready to work hard again.)

cGPA: 3.77 but this includes like 30 cc credits
sGPA: havent calculated but a little lower maybe 3.5

all of my prereqs so far were completed in my 4-year uni during regular semesters ( I still have ochem and physics to get through)

I know the numbers look good so far but it scares me that dental schools may attribute this to my light course-load.
So ARE these considered red flags? If so is there anything I can do to counter it with the ~2 years of undergrad left?

Thankssss

Members don't see this ad.

No red flags at all. I think in one of the presentations they look at course loads only if you are doing postbaccs. Your sgpa is about the average for accepted students so you should be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's that big of an issue. If anything, you will get asked about the light course load at interviews. Schools put value on high course loads because as a dental student you're essentially completing a semester of science work every 4-6 weeks. They need to make sure you can handle it.