Do you tell anyone about your dream

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I do, but only when people ask what I'm studying or what occupation I plan to pursue. I'm not the "LOOK AT ME, I'M A PRE-MED" type.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My friends on Wall Street think I'm an idiot for choosing medicine.

Maybe I am, but I don't see it that way. Right now at least.
 
If they ask, then yes. I detest using the title "Pre-med" at my school. Some people prance around openly announcing that they're pre-med, though. 🙄
 
I tell everyone. EVERYONE.

I have a shirt that says "Pre-Med FTW"
I wear a stethoscope around my neck whenever I leave my house
When eating at Subway, I put a small sign on my table that says "Pre-meds only"
I walk up to random people on campus and say "Hi, what's you major? I'm a future doctor!"
I have a bumper sticker that reads "I scored 40 on the MCAT. What did you do last Tuesday?"










And if you think I'm serious, you need your brain checked.
 
I don't have to, I'm living my dreams. Which is good because I am too tired to dream at night.

On the other hand you can get "wicked dreams" at night (quote neurologist) from the constant lack of sleep so that by the time you hit the bed, you go straight into REM sleep.
 
I tell everyone. EVERYONE.

I have a shirt that says "Pre-Med FTW"
I wear a stethoscope around my neck whenever I leave my house
When eating at Subway, I put a small sign on my table that says "Pre-meds only"
I walk up to random people on campus and say "Hi, what's you major? I'm a future doctor!"
I have a bumper sticker that reads "I scored 40 on the MCAT. What did you do last Tuesday?"









And if you think I'm serious, you need your brain checked.

🤣 🤣

🤣
 
Some people know that that is what I want to do. If someone asks what I am going to school for I tell them chemistry, or science or something. It's still a long shot that I will get in, so I don't want my failure to be widely known.
 
I tell everyone. EVERYONE.

I have a shirt that says "Pre-Med FTW"
I wear a stethoscope around my neck whenever I leave my house
When eating at Subway, I put a small sign on my table that says "Pre-meds only"
I walk up to random people on campus and say "Hi, what's you major? I'm a future doctor!"
I have a bumper sticker that reads "I scored 40 on the MCAT. What did you do last Tuesday?"










And if you think I'm serious, you need your brain checked.

I've also seen similar types of people who are almost this extreme. It's amazing, actually. 😱
 
I usually just say I have a degree in kinesiology, and by the time I've explained it they don't care. There's no accomplishment in being pre-med.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, usually people give me strange and scared looks on their face when I tell them about what I dream about in bed.
 
I try not to tell anyone unless they really press and even then I am super-non committal in my response ("oh I dunno. Maybe this, maybe that...not sure....")

It only should matter to you anyway.
 
I tell everyone. EVERYONE.

I have a shirt that says "Pre-Med FTW"
I wear a stethoscope around my neck whenever I leave my house
When eating at Subway, I put a small sign on my table that says "Pre-meds only"
I walk up to random people on campus and say "Hi, what's you major? I'm a future doctor!"
I have a bumper sticker that reads "I scored 40 on the MCAT. What did you do last Tuesday?"










And if you think I'm serious, you need your brain checked.

I love this. I have a similar thing with my signature that I don't think anyone knows about.
 
This is how the conversation usually goes:

Stranger: Wow you look young...are you in college?
Me: I just graduated actually from undergrad.
Stranger: oh congratulations! Are you going to work or go to grad school?
Me: ya I'm going to ______ state in August for grad school.
Stranger: oh what are you gonna be studying?
Me: oh I'll be studying medicine


Humbleness is key as a doctor
 
Even though I'm not in college yet, People ask me all the time what I'll be studying for I simply say "Undecided".

I don't even say I want to become a Doctor to my family :scared:

They always take things as a joke especially my older brothers. And since nobody has ever went to college I'll be the 1st, and it feels like a lot of pressure If I say to anyone I want to become a Doctor.
 
I think people have more or less picked up on it at this point, with me being in med school and all. =)

I feel the same way! I don't go around announcing to the world that I'm pre med but if you are around me for a decent length of time it will become very obvious considering that most of my activities encompass healthcare. It's inevitable that people would just figure it out.
 
I tell people. It's pretty obvious, and I'm proud that I am pursuing my dreams. I came from a background in which this pursuit looked almost impossible, and I am happy that I've even made it this far. Wanting to be a physician is a big part of who I am, because medicine is something that I'm really passionate about. If I didn't tell people about that, I don't think they would fully know me because I'd have to keep my activities and experiences a secret as well.

I don't think it's pretentious, or at least I hope it isn't. I don't think it's any different than letting others know that you want to be a teacher or engineer or firefighter or plumber or historian :shrug:
 
This is how the conversation usually goes:

Stranger: Wow you look young...are you in college?
Me: I just graduated actually from undergrad.
Stranger: oh congratulations! Are you going to work or go to grad school?
Me: ya I'm going to ______ state in August for grad school.
Stranger: oh what are you gonna be studying?
Me: oh I'll be studying medicine


Humbleness is key as a doctor

And I think we've now identified entry #2 for the definition of humblebrag.
 
Nah, once they find out my major is pre-med, they don't ask any additional questions. 😍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is how the conversation usually goes:

Stranger: Wow you look young...are you in college?
Me: I just graduated actually from undergrad.
Stranger: oh congratulations! Are you going to work or go to grad school?
Me: ya I'm going to ______ state in August for grad school.
Stranger: oh what are you gonna be studying?
Me: oh I'll be studying medicine


Humbleness is key as a doctor

lol....that is kind of a humblebrag, I think because you say "grad school".

I don't deliberately throw them off with "grad school"; I also never bring it up on my own either.

For me it has actually gone like this once or twice:

Stranger: So what are you up to/doing/studying?

Me: Graduated from --, been studying --, and now doing --".

(also swing it back to them....people like to talk about themselves, but it does come back to me)

Stranger: oh that sounds really interesting! What do you want to do with that? Work or research or more graduate studies?"

Me: "Actually I'll be going to -- in the fall."

Stranger: "and what are you going to -- for?"

Me: "well uh, actually medical school"

I do honestly try and keep it about them, it does make me kind of uncomfortable when people ask about me...It's not really a humblebrag; but I suppose I am slow-rolling them 😎
 
If they ask what I'm studying, I tell them my major. I only say I "plan on applying to medical school" if they ask my plans after graduation. I don't like the label "pre-med".
 
This is how the conversation usually goes:

Stranger: Wow you look young...are you in college?
Me: I just graduated actually from undergrad.
Stranger: oh congratulations! Are you going to work or go to grad school?
Me: ya I'm going to ______ state in August for grad school.
Stranger: oh what are you gonna be studying?
Me: oh I'll be studying medicine


Humbleness is key as a doctor

And I think we've now identified entry #2 for the definition of humblebrag.

Not so much. I've done similar things with the intention of never getting all the way to the end of the script. If you mention that you're pre-med/med/doctor, you typically end up getting cornered with healthcare questions. Not fun if you're at a party and trying to relax.
 
lol....that is kind of a humblebrag, I think because you say "grad school".

I don't deliberately throw them off with "grad school"; I also never bring it up on my own either.

For me it has actually gone like this once or twice:

Stranger: So what are you up to/doing/studying?

Me: Graduated from --, been studying --, and now doing --".

(also swing it back to them....people like to talk about themselves, but it does come back to me)

Stranger: oh that sounds really interesting! What do you want to do with that? Work or research or more graduate studies?"

Me: "Actually I'll be going to -- in the fall."

Stranger: "and what are you going to -- for?"

Me: "well uh, actually medical school"

I do honestly try and keep it about them, it does make me kind of uncomfortable when people ask about me...It's not really a humblebrag; but I suppose I am slow-rolling them 😎

Not a bad approach. Again, the goal is not to get all the way to the end of the script. The problem with saying "grad school" and then "medicine" is that you'll look like a weirdo since 99.9% of people know what med school is and no one says it like that.

It gets awkward when you mention your profession. It just does. That's probably why so many docs end up just hanging out with other docs.
 
People really have to dig to get me talking about it. If they ask what I'm studying I tell them about my college major. If they keep asking what I'm going to do I tell them I plan on going to graduate school. If they KEEP prodding about what kind of graduate school I finally tell them medical school. I don't like telling other people.