Do you think most premeds know about SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12345a

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN is a great website, it connects people w/ a lot of information without sorting through all the crap on the internet. One would assume that someone who is serious about pursuing a career in medicine or the heath care industry would come across SDN in their research.

A friend of mine who is as hardcore premed as they come told me yesterday that he had never heard of SDN. I don't know why, but it surprised me.

Do you think that most of your premed peers/friends know about SDN and utilize it like you?
Would you prefer that they didn't know?

Members don't see this ad.

Possibly not. We realized that we were pretty low on Google's hits for "pre-med" because of the way we titled one of our forums. We're hoping to improve that, though.

I ended up on SDN by word of mouth. If someone hadn't told me, I probably wouldn't have ever thought to search out a pre-med board.

Most pre-meds I know seemed to know about SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN is a great website, it connects people w/ a lot of information without sorting through all the crap on the internet. One would assume that someone who is serious about pursuing a career in medicine or the heath care industry would come across SDN in their research.

A friend of mine who is as hardcore premed as they come told me yesterday that he had never heard of SDN. I don't know why, but it surprised me.

Do you think that most of your premed peers/friends know about SDN and utilize it like you?
Would you prefer that they didn't know?

Lots of students know about SDN and don't post. There are other ways to get the information you can get from this forum so it is quite possible to be serious about a medical career and never see this place. People that stay out of SDN are also usually more sane.

FYI: Search function! This thread has been made multiple times.

I'm just a senior in highschool and I found SDN through some article about a Dr. Giving some medical school information and gave a link to SDN what are my chances section. Guess I got kinda lucky finding this site so early on.

I know a lot of pre-meds that do and a lot don't don't know about sdn. Most that do don't use it very often. I only know 2 others who even have an account, only one I know uses it daily (me :cool:).

I know plenty who don't. Of those that do, rarely do they have an account. I found it by some unrelated google search.

I found it by googling some medical school information...Since then, I have been hooked on this thing.....:oops:

I think most pre-meds learn about SDN at some point before going to medical school, but I bet of a lot of folks that drop out of the race or are Freshmen/Sophomores don't know. I didn't know about it until interviews.

I know tons that do not know about it (I always tell people, and I found out about it through word of mouth at a premed club meeting). I also know a lot of people who do know about it but never get on or make an account.

I've heard a few other applicants talk about SDN at interviews. I'd guess that the further you get toward the interview/acceptance stage, the more applicants you'll find who know about it. Like somebody said, you might not find a ton of freshman/sophomores who are just starting pre-reqs who know about it.

I found it by googling some medical school information...Since then, I have been hooked on this thing.....:oops:
Me, too!
I found in when I was googling questions. I ignored it the first few times, but it kept coming back when I had questions so I had to explore it more. I got hooked in June when I was preparing for my July 30 MCAT. What drew me in was the July 30 MCAT Club. Since I am a non-trad it was a way for me to connect with other premeds going through the same thing. I don't think I know anyone at the moment applying this cycle besides those on this forum. I wonder if there is a higher proportion of non-trads on the forums for the same reason.

And YES, I am addicted. I come on here 2 - 3 times a day, usually when I finish going through email, and have the time.

I found SDN when I was in 11th grade in high shcool. I wish I had known SDN since elementary school. :(

I would say most of my class does not. Just from the people I've mentioned it around who had no clue what I was talking about.

Possibly not. We realized that we were pretty low on Google's hits for "pre-med" because of the way we titled one of our forums. We're hoping to improve that, though.

I ended up on SDN by word of mouth. If someone hadn't told me, I probably wouldn't have ever thought to search out a pre-med board.

Wow, just did that search.
Last hit on second page. That is crazy, this has to be the most used forum for pre-meds anywhere online. I can't believe it's not higher.

Wow, just did that search.
Last hit on second page. That is crazy, this has to be the most used forum for pre-meds anywhere online. I can't believe it's not higher.

I just searched "pre-med" on Google. I can't find SDN anywhere on the first two pages at all...

But TBH, people searching for pre-med stuff wouldn't search "pre-med", they probably would have a specific question and when they search Google a SDN thread would come up as one of the first hits.

I just searched "pre-med" on Google. I can't find SDN anywhere on the first two pages at all...

But TBH, people searching for pre-med stuff wouldn't search "pre-med", they probably would have a specific question and when they search Google a SDN thread would come up as one of the first hits.

The most common question, "What are my chances of getting into medical school?" has SDN as the third hit, behind aspiringdocs and studentdoctor.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...of+getting+into+medical+school?&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Time to set up a thread tagging system and bold/underline/otherwise highlight keywords for search ranking. lol.

Yeah, I used studentdoctor for a long time before I found SDN. :rolleyes: It's not nearly as helpful, though.

Most premeds end up googling premed related things at least a few times and SDN is bound to come up high at least once. So I think most are aware of SDN.