Do you think pharmacists should get rebates from the PBM?

Started by rex_b
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rex_b

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm pretty sure everyone here already knows that all major/chain drug stores get a rebate for using a certain PBM and so do these large insurance companies.

Do you think the pharmacists should get rebates from the PBMs also?
 
I'm a bit confused. Do I think the pharmacist, as an employee of a pharmacy should get a part or all of a rebate or do I think the independent, self employeed pharmacist should get a rebate?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well rex, I'm not really up to date on these rebates, but I think they're negotiated at the corporate level for numbers of rxs run thru the PBM. Since I'm not part of that at all as an employee, I would not have any reason to receive that rebate. I'm rewarded for things like generic switches, but not for PBM use since I don't have the choice at my level.

For the pharmacist-owner, yeah - he/she would get that rebate since it would come off whatever contractual agreement he/she decided to sign.

I'm curious - this is a really different question to ask. I know you're really bored & all, but what in the world made you come up with PBM rebates??? Did you read about this somewhere? It is a bit obscure.....
 
sdn1977 said:
Well rex, I'm not really up to date on these rebates, but I think they're negotiated at the corporate level for numbers of rxs run thru the PBM. Since I'm not part of that at all as an employee, I would not have any reason to receive that rebate. I'm rewarded for things like generic switches, but not for PBM use since I don't have the choice at my level.

For the pharmacist-owner, yeah - he/she would get that rebate since it would come off whatever contractual agreement he/she decided to sign.

I'm curious - this is a really different question to ask. I know you're really bored & all, but what in the world made you come up with PBM rebates??? Did you read about this somewhere? It is a bit obscure.....

Interesting response. My questions came from well how do I put it. I use to work for a company that delt with pharmacies and PBMs and I was privy to rebate information. So I just figured I would post the question to the actual pharmacists on what they think about it.
 
rex_b said:
Interesting response. My questions came from well how do I put it. I use to work for a company that delt with pharmacies and PBMs and I was privy to rebate information. So I just figured I would post the question to the actual pharmacists on what they think about it.

I wondered when your actual purpose would come out 🙄 . Your posts don't sound so much like a bored 20-30 something college/returning to college student. You sounded more like someone who is trying to run a marketing survey or focus group. So.....just what are you selling???? 😕
 
sdn1977 said:
I wondered when your actual purpose would come out 🙄 . Your posts don't sound so much like a bored 20-30 something college/returning to college student. You sounded more like someone who is trying to run a marketing survey or focus group. So.....just what are you selling???? 😕

Well I finished college last year, I am 24. No marketing survery just curious about the industry as I posted in my last response. No sell here, just learning. I like to ask the tough questions.. lol