Do you think you've changed since graduating high school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mithril

Johnny Canuck
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm about to finish my last set of exams that will (hopefully) ever matter for admission purposes and it had me thinking about how much more mature and intelligent I've become since graduating high school and how much work needs to be put in to get into med school. I sound like a ***** when looking back at my Facebook posts from 3-4 years ago. Sort of weird how most of the people here will become docs and how it's only been 3.5 years since high school for a good chunk of us.

I've developed a harder "spine." I met a time in my life, during my freshman year, when I realized what is accepted by "people back home," wouldn't get me to my goals. In the process, I abandoned those beliefs. I have spent so much time trying to understand what I want for myself, all the while recognizing this innate drive within. With that, I have understood my own spirit. I have grown to appreciate what hardships we must face to advance. Too many cling to old beliefs and use them to degrade their own future. They lie to themselves. From that, they garner some feeling of entitlement which, of course, results in failure. I am tremendously lucky.

Last edited:
I just graduated highschool and am in my freshman year and I am sure in due time I will also feel the same way about how much I have grown and how mature I have become.

I am sure at this point in time I do not know just how difficult into medical school is, but even know with the workload, EC's, friends, etc, it seems a lot to take on.

While I am sure it will be worth it in the end, I have a feeling I will regret missing out on a lot of fun that many people have in their 20's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just graduated highschool and am in my freshman year and I am sure in due time I will also feel the same way about how much I have grown and how mature I have become.

I am sure at this point in time I do not know just how difficult into medical school is, but even know with the workload, EC's, friends, etc, it seems a lot to take on.

While I am sure it will be worth it in the end, I have a feeling I will regret missing out on a lot of fun that many people have in their 20's.

You're still a baby in the whole process. Get back to us in three years.

Graduated from high school with a 3.0/5.00 with a 1620 SAT

Graduating for college with a 3.8-3.9/4.0 with a 33 MCAT

Who would have guessed it...

That says little about how you've changed....

That says little about how you've changed....

I'm guessing he's hinting to changes in his work ethic...

I definitely think I've changed. Become a better student and actually care about some stuff besides just having fun.

really? well that is your opinion.

Besides saying that maybe you worked harder I agree with him. Based on my stats you could say the opposite.

HS: 4.0/1420 (old SAT)
College: 2.8/33

However, I wouldn't say that my change in stats correlates in any way to how I changed in college. I matured, became more outgoing, met people, formed relationships and had experiences that I would have not had based only on the way I was in high school. Did my work ethic change? No, I just didn't have to put forth the effort in high school and never developed any form of study habits. Combined with an engineering major, I just didn't care all that much, except now the level of student had increased and I couldn't coast anymore.

Likewise, since graduating college I've had a 4.0 for over a year and have learned how to learn and study and found balance. There is more to the changes a person goes through in college than just studying more. You'd have to give more background to your story than just listing numbers alone if you are actually trying to contribute some sort of substance.

I had a professor in undergrad that used to say something along the lines of "you change more in your early 20s than you did in years 0-5." And think about all the changes humans go through in their first five years of life - obviously the changes are not the same (at least I hope not :p), but that's a lot of change!

A good way to get perspective is to read old papers you wrote in high school. Portfolio pieces always bring me back and I get a bit embarrassed. :D

I am a completely different person from high school. They say a person completely changes every 10 years of their life, I apparently do it in 7 :hungover:.

College is like a radioactive zone. It changes you :laugh:. I'll admit in high school I was a major academic underachiever who really didn't care about anything but sleep and video games. Freshman year of college changed that for me, I got really into all of the classes I took and started having fun at school. If I had to reflect upon how I've changed.. I would say I changed more in my first semester of college than I did my whole high school experience.
Not to mention I actually now know how to study. It's funny really, in high school I had utterly no concept of studying having a positive effect on grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
College is like a radioactive zone. It changes you :laugh:. I'll admit in high school I was a major academic underachiever who really didn't care about anything but sleep and video games. Freshman year of college changed that for me, I got really into all of the classes I took and started having fun at school. If I had to reflect upon how I've changed.. I would say I changed more in my first semester of college than I did my whole high school experience.
Not to mention I actually now know how to study. It's funny really, in high school I had utterly no concept of studying having a positive effect on grades.

Same. I was a pretty mediocre, B-C student. Even in college my first couple of years. Then last semester I actually *studied* for my exams and finals, and happened to make A's. Whodathunkit? :D

I graduated high school in the year 2010.

Junior high
= kid who was picked on, called all sorts of racial slurs and names and the kid who was subject to a lot of bullying. I was sort of fat and undesirable to many of the girls and in many ways my parents were A LOT more back then than they are now. My grades? Perfect A's, never made below a 96 in junior high and always scored highest on standardized tests.

High school = I did so good in junior high that I was accepted to a magnet school (it wasn't that competitive, tons of dummies from Middle School made it in). Well the thing is my last year of middle school changed me, I thought to myself, "my parents have studied so hard and done so much in life but look at them, they come to the US and settle in a really backwards town where a lot of people are so racist". I ended up rebelling and boy was I ever foolish to do so:

Freshman year = C average ( I was severely depressed, had a 28 percent BMI and I was pretty fat compared to the other kids, and I am in the deep south so that is saying something).

Sophomore year = C average once again, I did not care about my grades and my teachers were really terrible, like a lot of them (except for two) did not know the subjects they taught, students had to correct them.

Junior Year = A average, took two AP classes, made the highest grades in all of them. Maintained a 4.0 GPA and made a 1980 on my SAT (first time taking it). I also made a 5 on an AP History exam without taking the class (of course I had to pay to take the exam).

Senior year = A average, took 2 AP classes, made A's in both of them. College admissions time came, my GPA was around a 3.2, rejected from the state Flagship university, rejected from two private schools friends made it into and it really hurt my self esteem in a way. I couldn't even get a date for prom. But my school only had like 80 seniors and most girls were not that desirable in terms of looks and had really bad attitudes, and most already had dates. My high school was really "urbanized" in a way.

Currently (1st year of college) = Already got a girlfriend, my high school friends keep staring at her and cannot believe that she is dating me. I have lost a lot of weight, cut down from 205 lbs my freshman year of high school (I was about 5"7 back then) to 171 lbs now (I am about 6"0 now).

Finished the first semester of college with a 2.9 GPA in some really tough courses, plan on getting a 4.0 GPA for the next two semesters so lets see how that works out.

Physically, I have changed a lot. I have also learned to stand up for myself now and for my girlfriend.

Comparing myself to other Indian kids and Asian kids, my environment was not that great at all. While other Indian kids went to good high schools and were not subject to that much racism, I went to a high school with little to no resources and often heard race jokes left to right.

I whined at first but that didn't help, even though my high school was in a rough environment (shootings and gangs were extremely common in that area), I can proudly say it changed my character.

As a result, I never really saw myself as an Indian and people cannot believe me when I tell them I am Indian. Most of the times they think I am either Hispanic or some sort of other unknown nationality, one guy thought I was Eastern European =O

im better looking, smarter, and more fit

but way more ****ing lazy.

considering it was 10 years ago i will say yes a thousand times yes.

My big changes have been on life philosophy and outlook. Between leaving HS and the end of my junior year was when most of it happened, so over three short years. I did a 180 on both my political and religious views. It is amazing when happens when you go from living in a rural community to a school in a city. Then throw in a class with the title 'The Psychology of Religion' and a bio major. Recipe for disaster (or success, depends on who is keeping track). I also got a tattoo a few years ago, something that the HS me would have never thought of doing. It is funny though because in terms of appearance I have not changed much. So though I still look the same in many areas I became everything thing that I was not.

When I graduated from hs and left my home country I couldn't even speak English very well. I didn't know what to do w/ my life and wasn't sure how to survive in a US college. Looking at myself now, I can't believe how much I have changed. I would have never guessed that I was going to become a doctor and hopefully make a difference.

I've developed a harder "spine." I met a time in my life, during my freshman year, when I realized what is accepted by "people back home," wouldn't get me to my goals. In the process, I abandoned those beliefs. I have spent so much time trying to understand what I want for myself, all the while recognizing this innate drive within. With that, I have understood my own spirit. I have grown to appreciate what hardships we must face to advance. Too many cling to old beliefs and use them to degrade their own future. They lie to themselves. From that, they garner some feeling of entitlement which, of course, results in failure. I am tremendously lucky.

Yes. :thumbup:

High school was a joke for me. I was such an airhead...but something about doing well in high school physics senior year made me realize that I was more capable in the sciences than what I was giving myself credit for (God, I miss high school physics now...ha). The rest is history. I also learned how to handle my liquor somewhere between then and now. :D

Besides saying that maybe you worked harder I agree with him. Based on my stats you could say the opposite.

HS: 4.0/1420 (old SAT)
College: 2.8/33

However, I wouldn't say that my change in stats correlates in any way to how I changed in college. I matured, became more outgoing, met people, formed relationships and had experiences that I would have not had based only on the way I was in high school. Did my work ethic change? No, I just didn't have to put forth the effort in high school and never developed any form of study habits. Combined with an engineering major, I just didn't care all that much, except now the level of student had increased and I couldn't coast anymore.

Likewise, since graduating college I've had a 4.0 for over a year and have learned how to learn and study and found balance. There is more to the changes a person goes through in college than just studying more. You'd have to give more background to your story than just listing numbers alone if you are actually trying to contribute some sort of substance.

I was a well adjusted individual in high school very social... voted personality plus and most likely to cure cancer (I really think this was a fluke). In college I worked a little harder... I learned to socialize in high school so the college life was not a shell shocker for me (hSDN is a joke I would have not been found dead on that forum). I have always worked (worked two jobs at one point in hs) and I continued to do so in college focusing on academics. My mom was never home so I had tons of freedom.. For some people college is about growing up for me it was about getting an education and maturing intellectually. I learn how to get good grades and I realized that your past does not dictate your future...*keep in mind I had a lot of fun along the way*

I hope that makes you both feel better..:thumbup:

Of definitely. I came into undergrad thinking I wanted to be a clinical psychologist.

And on a deeper level I am more aware of who I am what I am doing with my life.