Do you to tell the name of a patient in your PS when asked during an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spinnerette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering...
I am working on my personal statement right now and I want to write about this patient I encountered 2 years ago.
I literally forgot his name but I remember exactly the conditions he had.
I want to write about him because his problem spoke to me. He was a painter who painted some amazing work (saw his work at his house during home visits) and because of the conditions he had, he hasn't been able to paint for years. As a painter myself, I immediately sympathized with him but for the love of God, I forgot his name.

What if during my interview when the interviewer asked me what his name is?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering...
I am working on my personal statement right now and I want to write about this patient I encountered 2 years ago.
I literally forgot his name but I remember exactly the conditions he had.
I want to write about him because his problem spoke to me. He was a painter who painted some amazing work (saw his work at his house during home visits) and because of the conditions he had, he hasn't been able to paint for years. As a painter myself, I immediately sympathized with him but for the love of God, I forgot his name.

What if during my interview when the interviewer asked me what his name is?

The government already ruined this for you, HIPAA.

Or . . . call him Carl. You know as well as your interviewer. :laugh:

I'm pretty much in your exact same situation. As jdh said, HIPAA solves the problem for you. Make up a name. It's highly unusual for medically-related narratives to contain real names anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just don't write him down as Carl in your PS and then call him Bob in your interview.

Then you'll just be stupid.

+1 to all above. I actually did this in my personal statement (and specifically said I was using an alias).

You are better off not using any real name in your PS, and no one will ask you the name. Just call him Mr. S. or something. It's standard.

I just used a fake first name. It's well understood by everyone that privacy is important.

why would an interviewer EVER ask for a name? What you think they won't believe you?

Btw, that was sarcasm, they will NOT ask you for a name.