Do you want to volunteer abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2003Applicant

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm writing to inform you about international internship opportunities to help restore eyesight and prevent blindness in rural villages in Ghana, Tanzania, and Benin.

Apply for a Unite for Sight Volunteer Program in Ghana, Benin, or Tanzania! Contact [email protected] for an application and details. All persons over the age of 18 are welcome to apply, including premedical students, medical students, public health professionals, nurses, graduate students, doctors, and others.

Dates:
Ghana Fall 2004 - November 1, 2004 - December 20, 2004 with optional extension until January 15, 2005. - Rolling Application Deadline
Ghana Spring 2005 - March 1 - April 30, 2005 - Application Deadline is December 15
Tanzania 2005 - January 15 - March 15, 2005 - Rolling Application Deadline
Benin 2005 - January 15 - May 15, 2005 - Rolling Application Deadline

In Ghana and Tanzania, volunteers will receive training and will then screen patients for operable cataracts, arrange for cataract surgeries, distribute eyeglasses and conduct eye health education in local schools and community centers. These programs are a continuation of very successful Unite For Sight cataract surgery program in Humjibre and Nyamuswa during Summer 2004. In Benin, volunteers will distribute eyeglasses, conduct eye health education in local schools, and coordinate a new cataract surgery program. This program is also a continuation of a successful Summer 2004 Unite For Sight program.

Learn more about these and future internship opportunities at the Symposium in New York City on October 2nd: http://www.uniteforsight.org/2004_symposium.shtml

?Unite For Sight?s volunteers announced the eye clinic at church and beat the gong gong to spread the word. As the clinic went on for the second week, word spread to other communities, and patients came to the clinic from as far away as two hours. Even after the clinic ended, people brought blind relatives from long distances.? ?Alison Polk-Williams, Summer 2004, Humjibre, Ghana

"My experience in Tanzania this summer was life-changing. It has solidified my commitment to pursue international public health and to reach out to underserved communities who cannot get care on their own. By screening people for cataracts, distributing eyeglasses, providing medications, and teaching eye health in schools, I gave hope to the village of Nyamuswa. Where advanced, high-tech care was but a dream, I showed that ophthalmic care, and health care in general, can be a reality for them, despite the poverty and lack of access to services. I can't imagine doing anything more worthwhile with my summer." -- Sachin Jain, Unite For Sight Volunteer, Summer 2004, Nyamuswa, Tanzania

?It was a wonderful experience working in Tanzania. The need for eyeglasses and other eye services is real and urgent. You sense it from the questions people ask, the requests they make and the stories they tell. Average wage is Tsh 48,000 (USD 43) while a pair of eyeglasses costs Tsh 30,000 (USD 27). People cannot afford eyeglasses. Misconceptions about eye surgeries remain. Yet, every Tanzanian I met has been very receptive to our programs. From the policy makers to the villagers, everyone supports our work, appreciates our efforts and invites us back to Tanzania. Sensing a need in the community is one thing, being supported and respected by the people made the internship very much more fulfilling.? ?Sally Ong, Summer 2004, Tanzania

Contact [email protected] and www.uniteforsight.org for an application and details.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I would really like to, if its not too expensive. I can't afford thousands of dollars. I don't mind paying for my own ticket-do any of these groups give you lodging and food?

yposhelley said:
Yes I would really like to, if its not too expensive. I can't afford thousands of dollars. I don't mind paying for my own ticket-do any of these groups give you lodging and food?

Yes, Unite For Sight coordinates your lodging and food. The only expenses are the airfare and living expenses.

Members don't see this ad :)
2003Applicant said:
Yes, Unite For Sight coordinates your lodging and food. The only expenses are the airfare and living expenses.

"living expenses"? You mean like deoderant and personal effects, right?

I'll check em out, thanks.

for anyone else interested who didn't see this yesterday