Do your CRNAs ever tell you about their “residency”?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acidbase1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Them referring to their training as residency drives me batsh** crazy

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Not as crazy as when they tell me about their "boards."

Reactions: 4 users
I took my nursing assistant boards as a junior in high school. Did a residency at a nursing home as a senior.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s WAY more common for NPs and PAs (rather than nurse anesthetists) to talk about these things, there are a ton of year long “fellowship” or “residency” programs available to them in EM, CCM and others. Many of them are at top level institutions as well. That’s part of the issue in those fields with encroachment.

Reactions: 1 user
Had a new floor nurse tell me about her "residency"

actually a 3 month probational period with "rotations" through nursing units

shameless

Agreed, it’s everywhere. NPs, PAs, pharmacists, many call they’re extra year of training “residency” or “fellowship”.

Then again, there are people who have it worse than us. Anyone ever talk to an audiologist (people that do the auditory brainstem response testing in kids). Certainly don’t mind them calling their training whatever they want.

Agreed, it’s everywhere. NPs, PAs, pharmacists, many call they’re extra year of training “residency” or “fellowship”.

Then again, there are people who have it worse than us. Anyone ever talk to an audiologist (people that do the auditory brainstem response testing in kids). Certainly don’t mind them calling their training whatever they want.

Honestly, I really don't have a problem with clinical pharmacists who pursue some rigorous in-hospital critical care or oncology training referring to that training as a residency and using PGY nomenclature. I have mad respect for them cause when I'm staffing the unit a good clinical pharmacist is worth their weight in gold.

Reactions: 16 users
Honestly, I really don't have a problem with clinical pharmacists who pursue some rigorous in-hospital critical care or oncology training referring to that training as a residency and using PGY nomenclature. I have mad respect for them cause when I'm staffing the unit a good clinical pharmacist is worth their weight in gold.
I was going to say the same thing. It is a residency. It’s just a short one.

Or the ones that cancel my order for “expensive” IV Tylenol without calling me or started to argue with me about the indication for administer the medication. Those are worth keeping especially for the hospital. (I know there are good ones, just like CRNAs, but the militants ones are just..... )

I would venture to say, “residency” and “house staff” have lost their true meaning long ago. But referring their training as “residency”, I cannot stomach it. Saw plenty of ads for “clinical experience” for more than 8000 hours. I f-ing lose my sh!+ every time.

I once had a nursing student introduce herself as the “critical care fellow.” She even had one of those badge identifier tags that said “fellow.” She was doing a 1 month observership in the ICU. Oh and she definitely had a long white coat on.

Reactions: 8 users
I once had a nursing student introduce herself as the “critical care fellow.” She even had one of those badge identifier tags that said “fellow.” She was doing a 1 month observership in the ICU. Oh and she definitely had a long white coat on.
No way. Really? I totally can not believe it’s come to this.
A nursing student? Was she in undergrad or NP school?
I was a nurse once, and this is just plain sad and embarrassing.

No way. Really? I totally can not believe it’s come to this.
A nursing student? Was she in undergrad or NP school?
I was a nurse once, and this is just plain sad and embarrassing.

I honestly don’t know the details. The fellow tag on the badge was what struck me.p This was at my last job a few years ago. I was dropping a patient off in ICU and didn’t acknowledge her when she introduced herself. I said I wanted to give report to the ICU physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don’t know the details. The fellow tag on the badge was what struck me.p This was at my last job a few years ago. I was dropping a patient off in ICU and didn’t acknowledge her when she introduced herself. I said I wanted to give report to the ICU physician.

Don’t let politics get in the way of patient care. If she’s the bedside nurse, she needs a report.

We get a lot of PA’s spending time in our ED and they introduce themselves as “EM Fellows.” Although I believe they are told that it is a fellowship, maybe not really their fault.

It should be like the VA where they all say their title when they speak. "Hi this is PA Sanchez calling from blah blah blah"
No obfuscation, no fuss.

It should be like the VA where they all say their title when they speak. "Hi this is PA Sanchez calling from blah blah blah"
No obfuscation, no fuss.

If they were proud of their training they would do this voluntarily.

:rofl::rofl:

When I was in residency, had 1 or 2 older CRNAs use this line. They would say "Oh yeah I was a resident for the last 20 years". When they get out a few minutes late they say "oh life as a resident."

Where I am now, your title is huge, covers a big part of your badge, cant miss it.

Where I did residency, the ASA at the state level was trying to petition for this to become the standard. Truth in title or something along the lines. No changes yet. Dunno why nurses would be defensive on something like this.

Had a non board eligible non board certified attending would kept introducing the CRNAs with their baloney advanced degrees as Dr. to me. Just rolled eyes. This

Another attending would just refer to all CRNAs as "nurse". Hospital employed position. Brave.

Last edited:
My picks

Nurse _Last Name_ or Nurse anesthetist _Last Name_ in front of patients and other staff.

Hi I'm Dr. Mmag, anesthesiologist. I will be your anesthesia doctor. Nurse anesthetist _last name_ will be your anesthesia nurse helping me in the OR.

Had a new floor nurse tell me about her "residency"

actually a 3 month probational period with "rotations" through nursing units

shameless
God I miss the days when nurses were only residency trained. Now where I work over 90% are fellowship trained!

We get a lot of PA’s spending time in our ED and they introduce themselves as “EM Fellows.” Although I believe they are told that it is a fellowship, maybe not really their fault.
Lol it’s their fault man. Head over to the EM forum and peruse the thread about AAEM’s stance on PAs and their subsequent response.