Doctor Bag

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missDVM2B

University of Milan 2012
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking of getting a doctor bag once I graduate, but I am wondering how to organize it... any of you have a classic leather doctor bag?

Members don't see this ad.

No, but I have thought of putting together a kind of first aid/treatment kit. I do several dog sports (disc, herding, agility, protection sport), so it'd be nice to be prepared. I've seen some vets use fishing tackle boxes for their first aid kit they might keep in their personal vehicle or something, but if people do a lot of house/farm calls, most get a vet box like a Portavet.

While it's not an animal first aid kit, I did make my human first aid kit out of a box from Wal-mart. A tackle box would work I'm sure, but the box I ended up getting is used for sorting nuts and bolts, and has customizable compartments. Also it closes flush with the little slits that you move about to change the compartment size, so if it gets turned over, nothing really shifts from space to space.

Anyhow, just another option that might prove cheaper. Cost me about $7 for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool, thanks for both replies! Looks like if I were to get one it might end up as a personal briefcase vs medical bag, though I like the idea of a first aid kit if I used it often! :D I do like the PortaVet system, but I was thinking of having a bag as a take inside first bag with steth, gloves, etc! I like the idea of using a small fishing lure box to keep things separated! Great ideas :D

Not sure if they make them for vets specifically, but when I was a student athletic trainer back in high school, we used these kinds of kits on the sidelines of the games. They are probably a bit more than what you're looking for, but it might give you some ideas. Light weight toolboxes would also do the trick.

http://www.medco-athletics.com/Supply/Default.asp?category=71

My dad (an MD) has a totally classic leather doctor bag. It looks like the kind you see in old black-and-white movies - rounded, initials on it, two short loop handles, latches shut in the middle and swings open, etc. It's really classy.

Unfortunately, the thing's also a damn mess. It has zero organization and is just a jumbled bunch of instruments inside. Probably because of this, he almost never takes it with him. I like the tackle box idea much better - what it lacks in style, it more than makes up in value and organization. Plus, if you drop it in something... unsavory while working, it's easy to hose off. Most of the things you'd want to put in a kit will fit pretty nicely in a standard tackle box - I know because my dad always uses his old, worn-out instruments as fishing supplies :laugh: