Doctor = Infidelity ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Studies, please...

Studies won't prove anyone right or wrong in this instance. So many domestic violence incidences go unreported.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
why dont we just have a hospital staff in social work tell us the answer during our 4 hours lunch break during volunteering at the local chop shop hospital. Report back to us, its the least youll do while you volunteer ;)

why dont we just have a hospital staff in social work tell us the answer during our 4 hours lunch break during volunteering at the local chop shop hospital. Report back to us, its the least youll do while you volunteer ;)

My sister is an MSW, and I've never heard her talk about any abused men...I'm sure it's got to be reporting bias, though, because I understand how tough it would be to admit something like that.

prob written by a bunch of 'nice guys' - if you know what i mean

Abused men? Like, not getting enough sex? Or not getting enough sex AND having to pay alimony? ;p

Did you know that for every 100 domestic violence cases, 40 of them are estimated to involve the woman abusing the man?

The reason it isn't a prominent issue, or we are lulled into the belief that women are less violent, is that very few men report these things. Just imagine if a man hit his wife hard on the face. A confident, self-assured woman in this case would report this to a friend, or someone else.

However, if a woman hit her husband hard on the face, unfortunately many men feel that it would be a strike to his ego, or manhood if they were to try to see help - and they often try to mediate the situation on their own at home; which usually continues the cycle of violence.

Women are less violent than men. It's men who overwhelmingly form gangs, or commit murder and rape. Statistics may be affected by many cases going unreported for domestic violence cases, but murders are much less likely to go unreported.

Women do not express their aggression in the same way men do. It manifests more as nonviolent acts like verbal abuse and social exclusion. In addition, if the typical woman and man were in a fight (no weapons), the man would be able to physically hurt the woman more than the woman can hurt the man. Men are bigger and have more upper body strength. So when you talk about hitting someone hard on the face, it's going to be different magnitude depending on whether it's a man or woman doing the hitting.

Women do not express their aggression in the same way men do. It manifests more as nonviolent acts like verbal abuse and social exclusion. In addition, if the typical woman and man were in a fight (no weapons), the man would be able to physically hurt the woman more than the woman can hurt the man. Men are bigger and have more upper body strength. So when you talk about hitting someone hard on the face, it's going to be different magnitude depending on whether it's a man or woman doing the hitting.

Schrizto, I believe you may be very correct - for the most part, women may tend to express their aggression in a more passive manner. However, what concerns me is how you are using innate physiological differences between males and females to designate roles of the "victimizer" and the "victimized."

I urge you to research a bit more into domestic violence against men if the concept of it is bewildering to you. It's a growing problem, and research has shown that it is often overly-sensitive men who fall prey to this. By you drawing clear cut stereotypical roles based on our differences as men and women you are simply reinforcing the archaic roles of women as always being helpless victims, and only men as having the capacity to dominate.

Last edited:
Schrizto, I believe you may be very correct - for the most part, women may tend to express their aggression in a more passive manner. However, what concerns me is how you are using innate physiological differences between males and females to designate roles of the "victimizer" and the "victimized."

I urge you to research a bit more into domestic violence against men if the concept of it is bewildering to you. It's a growing problem, and research has shown that it is often overly-sensitive men who fall prey to this. By you drawing clear cut stereotypical roles based on our differences as men and women you are simply reinforcing the archaic roles of women as always being helpless victims, and only men as having the capacity to dominate.

I am not saying that if there is a physical fight between a man and a woman that since the man is stronger he is the victimizer and the woman is the victim. I used that example as to why men are found to be more violent. I'm aware there is domestic violence committed by women on men, and I have not said anything that would constitute describing me as being "bewildered" by the concept of domestic violence against men.

Some of the posts above reflect a reaction to the very real issue of traditional inequity of the sexes. Being honest, it is simple wishful thinking. Stating that women are responsible of as much violence as men is just false.

I really understand why this would be the better case in terms of arguing for equality, but it is not true. I am a strong supporter of equal opportunity for both sexes, but it is a mistake to take that as far as to state that men and women are exactly equal in their drives and behaviors. There are differences in brain wiring, hormone levels, etc, between men and women that make one sex more likely to exhibit some behaviors than the other. Violence is definitely one. My opinion, until I find some support, is that sex drive (which could potentially lead to promiscuity, cheating, etc) is too...

People are people. Very little surprises me any more.

Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion, until I find some support, is that sex drive (which could potentially lead to promiscuity, cheating, etc) is too...

It's interesting that you mentioned that because I recently read an article about how though men have shorter life expectancies than women, they are sexually active for a longer period of time, and are also more likely to find their sex lives in later years enjoyable. It's not really a surprising find, but it breaks it down into quantifiable data.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,588703,00.html

I've worked in a hospital for almost 4 years and YES, I believe it.

It's interesting that you mentioned that because I recently read an article about how though men have shorter life expectancies than women, they are sexually active for a longer period of time, and are also more likely to find their sex lives in later years enjoyable. It's not really a surprising find, but it breaks it down into quantifiable data.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,588703,00.html

So you're saying women aren't enjoying sex as long? I don't know that I would agree with this--based on a number of older women's testimonies. But one thing could be that if the husbands die first, as often they do, the women aren't going to go out looking for it. And really with elderly men, the same is often true.

But it's interesting how as women get older, they reach orgasm sooner than they did when they were young. LOL, this makes a lot of sense for "cougarism," like Aston Kucher and Demi Moore. Also, many women are likely to continue multiple orgasms as well--especially if they take care of themselves.

It really doesn't surprise me that male doctors would cheat so much. Just looking at some of the threads on SDN where people talk of how they are single as pre-meds but can't wait to be doctors because they will be able to use the "i'm a doctor" line to get all the women.

and everytime in these same threads when females give advice someone always says... "don't listen to the female advice, it's messed up"

well apparently men continue believing the same stupid **** when they are doctors and hence the high promiscuity leading to failed marriages.

(taking into account that the number of people claiming to be doctors I still think the number would be high)

It really doesn't surprise me that male doctors would cheat so much. Just looking at some of the threads on SDN where people talk of how they are single as pre-meds but can't wait to be doctors because they will be able to use the "i'm a doctor" line to get all the women.

and everytime in these same threads when females give advice someone always says... "don't listen to the female advice, it's messed up"

well apparently men continue believing the same stupid **** when they are doctors and hence the high promiscuity leading to failed marriages.

(taking into account that the number of people claiming to be doctors I still think the number would be high)

On the upside, we get to be the jilted wives who screw them out of a large chunk of their finances, so :thumbup:

(I'm convinced that a scenario like that is why some of these doctors are complaining they can't pay their bills :laugh:)

i'm actually getting passed buzzed and watching season 2, if anyone cares to know my status.

I wonder what kinda love life gay doctors have.

I could publish the first ever study on this!

*calls up psych PhD friends*

@ Schrizto:

That study showing that men report wanting and enjoying sex until later in life is not necessarily evidence that the male sex drive is inherently stronger. It could just be a reflection of the fact that because women live longer than men and tend to marry men older than themselves anyway, older women are far more likely than older men to live alone or to live with a partner in poor health. (The study also shows that poor health reduces sex drive and sexual satisfaction in men more than in women.)

The abstract of the study, done by Stacy Tessler Lindau and Natalia Gavrilova at the University of Chicago, can be found here.

Here is an interesting discussion of how media reports of the study have recklessly used it to reinforce reductive evopsych gender stereotypes.

I'm reminded of the tiger woods argument, that he was responding to an inhuman amount of temptation and simply did what most men would have done if given so many opportunities.

Doctors are not sex symbols like Greatest Golfer Evers are, but they do work long hours in proximity to members of the opposite sex, which leads to strained marriages+lots of opportunity for cheating.

So I absolutely believe it.

look I will say, I work at a hospital, in a babies unit to boot. Lots of women staff, and the doctors tend to be men but I get the vibe they are all decent people and are just friendly and professional. I am certain there are many cases of infidelity but I think that has more to do with your upbringing. As a future doctor I would not abuse my rank and file to take advantage of my uppers. I would much prefer a Lisa Cuddy type affair ;)