Doctor with a "normal life"??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc??

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a similar thread under Family Practice but got no responses there, so I guess I will try here. I'm 22 and recently got my BS in English Literature but I find myself drifting to fantasies about being a doctor. But I have seen little indication that it is possible to make that step without sacrificing your life.
So here's my question: Were I to enter Med school, I would almost certainly specialize in one of the primary care positions (Internal Medicine or Peds), with the goal of becoming a clinic PCP. Could anyone tell me what the residencies are like for these individuals (my residency would fall about the time I would want to start having children)? Is it unlikely to find any that involve working fewer than 60 hours per week?
What about post-residency? With the lower pay in these specialities, is it possible to pay off the exhorbitant loans and still live comfortably while practicing fewer than 50 hours a week?
I am going to shadow some physicians soon, but I know that I am passionate about this idea (I keep staying up all night researching it and reading about it), I love challenges, and I love doing what people say cannot be done. BUT if it really is pretty impossible to live a good life as a doctor and work a reasonable schedule (45ish hours a week), I will have to scrap this dream in favor of having a life where I could be a good partner and father.
Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really know too many of the details of the process. But don't scrap this idea yet. Research it more. Also consider other fields in medicine. I'm twenty three and I'm going to sacrifice the whole settling down with a family and a career in my twenties. That's not for everyone and many still make it work without much sacrifice.
Hopefully more people on this forum can tell you more.

FutureDoc?? said:
I posted a similar thread under Family Practice but got no responses there, so I guess I will try here. I'm 22 and recently got my BS in English Literature but I find myself drifting to fantasies about being a doctor. But I have seen little indication that it is possible to make that step without sacrificing your life.
So here's my question: Were I to enter Med school, I would almost certainly specialize in one of the primary care positions (Internal Medicine or Peds), with the goal of becoming a clinic PCP. Could anyone tell me what the residencies are like for these individuals (my residency would fall about the time I would want to start having children)? Is it unlikely to find any that involve working fewer than 60 hours per week?
What about post-residency? With the lower pay in these specialities, is it possible to pay off the exhorbitant loans and still live comfortably while practicing fewer than 50 hours a week?
I am going to shadow some physicians soon, but I know that I am passionate about this idea (I keep staying up all night researching it and reading about it), I love challenges, and I love doing what people say cannot be done. BUT if it really is pretty impossible to live a good life as a doctor and work a reasonable schedule (45ish hours a week), I will have to scrap this dream in favor of having a life where I could be a good partner and father.
have you thought of dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't have much control over your schedule while in med school and residency. Well, you sort of do, to the extent that you can choose (in limited fashion) which school and which residency program to attend. But overall, you will be facing long hours and little time for yourself.

Once you're a fully trained and licensed physician, though, you can do whatever you want. Only want to work 50 hours a week? Find a practice that espouses the same beliefs. Don't want to see patients at all? No problem, there's plenty of work for people with M.D. degrees outside of a clinic. Heck, you wouldn't have a problem finding a job even if you wanted to run away from medicine completely, although that would be a bit unusual. Doctors are some of the busiest professionals, but not all doctors are forced to work long hours and give up their holidays. It boils down to what you want to do and how much (or how little) you want to be paid.

I have a family... I work full-time... I go to school full-time... I am in the Air Force Reserves... somehow, it all works. Simply put, 'cause it has to.

You'll find that balance if it's really and sincerely important to you.

As for the hours/specialties/pay/schedule, best thing to do is to talk to some of the primary care providers in your area. They'll be able to tell you that it's different for everyone and every practice, but should be able to give you a clear indication on how it's going to work at first for a new guy.

Good luck. :luck:

First off, you rock kimmcauliffe you're always giving people great advice.
And to OldpsychDoc, is it possible to learn some psychiatry while in med school or in residency even if I'm going for medicine? I'm very interested in like cognitive psychology and newer, more radical types of the field.

Gatewayhoward said:
And to OldpsychDoc, is it possible to learn some psychiatry while in med school or in residency even if I'm going for medicine? I'm very interested in like cognitive psychology and newer, more radical types of the field.

I'm not sure what you mean about "newer, more radical"--but yeah--you can take as much psych as you want. You'll be required to rotate with us at some point, and you can consider all manner of electives in med school.
You may even be seduced over to the Dark Side and decide that we're more interesting than internal medicine. Or you may decide that you're a glutton for punishment and seek a combined IM/Psych, or Peds/ChildPsych residency...

[menacing tone]
We'll be watching your career with great interest, Young Sky...er...Gatewayhoward.
[/menacing tone]

FutureDoc?? said:
Welcome. Millions of people have done it before you and millions will do it after you. You can work in medicine if you want to badly enough. I’m still in medical school, but some of the ‘older’ non-traditional students will give you their more-seasoned perspective.

The major issue with medicine is complete loss of control of your time - especially when you're a resident. There are times when you absolutely have to be there. When you're done with your basic training, the hours will still be long but if you choose the right specialty and institution, you can build some normality into your life. Case in point: my last boss is a cardiologist at one of the top hospitals in the U.S., with an active research lab, and he publishes in Cell, JCI, PNAS etc (the most elite scientific journals) so he’s no slouch......yet he leaves work at 4:10pm every day to pick up his kids. How does he do it? Well, he only works two days clinically per week (with the exception of July, when he works round the clock when the new residents are there) and he budgets his time better than anyone I have ever seen. His whole day is pre-planned...and he does most of his manuscript writing/grant writing at home after the kids are in bed. It's rare, but you can make it happen if you want it.

Now...just training in medicine is a lengthy endeavor: 4 years of medical school and at least 3 years of residency (specialty-specific) plus fellowship= 8-to-10 years. You can do a lot in that time……..

Gatewayhoward said:

:horns: Well, thank you!