DoctorLacrosse's Inspirational Comeback Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DoctorLacrosse, you killed it man. That honestly is incredibly inspiring. With that many interviews you're bound to get in. Way to go brother and best of luck from here on out.

I honestly have these neurotic thoughts in the back of my mind that despite the interviews I'm just going to get waitlisted/rejected everywhere due to my past lol. lets hope you're right though!

Members don't see this ad.

Haha nah man I think that's extremely unlikely. Your posts show you're an amicable guy with the right motives and an awesome comeback story. You'll be just fine. Let us know when your first acceptance comes in.

Very interesting to read….congrats on your accomplishments thus far. What did your overall and science gpa end up being??

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha nah man I think that's extremely unlikely. Your posts show you're an amicable guy with the right motives and an awesome comeback story. You'll be just fine. Let us know when your first acceptance comes in.

thanks again man. I actually feel like I come across as way too neurotic on these boards, but I'm actually a really cool, outgoing dude in real life I swear hahah

Very interesting to read….congrats on your accomplishments thus far. What did your overall and science gpa end up being??

Thank you! ended up with ~3.35, with ~3.65 over my last 120 credits.

Okay I am officially watching your thread now instead of just following your progress through the school threads, so post that acceptance soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Okay I am officially watching your thread now instead of just following your progress through the school threads, so post that acceptance soon!

I truly hope there's one to post soon!

Reactions: 1 user
I truly hope there's one to post soon!
You thinking of making an MD apps page when this is all over? Your story would be great all in one place for future applicants!

You thinking of making an MD apps page when this is all over? Your story would be great all in one place for future applicants!

I actually started an account recently, but inputting every school was taking a lot of time and I gave up haha. I plan on doing it one day soon when I have time for sure

have actually been waiting on an acceptance to update the thread, but no luck on that end so far :(

I am up to 6 MD and 2 DO interviews so far though, so I really can't complain. I'm blessed and extremely thankful to even have this many chances. hopefully one of these amazing MD programs takes a chance on me. time will tell, but remaining realistic until then!

Congratulations!

Feels weird to be writing this post. Almost surreal to an extent, but the long, difficult years of hard work have paid off, and I've been ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!! So happy!!

Got into Touro Med, and I'm definitely grateful for the early acceptance. I've realized how amazing some of the MD programs I've been invited to are though, so I'm really hoping for some love from those. I'm up to 8 MD and 5 DO interview invites, including a couple of MD programs that are absolute dream schools of mine. Hopefully many more acceptances to come!

No matter what happens from here on out IM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR, and it feels amazing. A huge weight lifted. I'm truly... happy.

Reactions: 70 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! :soexcited: The phrase "Happy Holidays" has taken on a whole new meaning for you. Keep the updates coming.

thank you so much! I can't thank you enough for the help throughout the years. I owe the SDN community a lot for their support and advice. couldn't have done it without you guys!

Feels weird to be writing this post. Almost surreal to an extent, but the long, difficult years of hard work have paid off, and I've been ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!! So happy!!

Got into Touro Med, and I'm definitely grateful for the early acceptance. I've realized how amazing some of the MD programs I've been invited to are though, so I'm really hoping for some love from those. I'm up to 8 MD and 5 DO interview invites, including a couple of MD programs that are absolute dream schools of mine. Hopefully many more acceptances to come!

No matter what happens from here on out IM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR, and it feels amazing. A huge weight lifted. I'm truly... happy.
Wow 14 interviews?! You're def on your way to multiple acceptances!

haha 13, but who's counting :p but I hope so! thanks for the continued support throughout this anxiety-filled process. hopefully more success coming for us both!
LOL I can't math :-/ but yayyy! Congrats! I feel like you're such a chill dude, reminds me of someone Id be friends with outside this forum lol

LOL I can't math :-/ but yayyy! Congrats! I feel like you're such a chill dude, reminds me of someone Id be friends with outside this forum lol

not to toot my own horn here, but I like to think I am haha. that's my favorite thing about this place. it's easy to find the ones who support you purely out of the goodness of their souls, rather than because you may or may not be extremely good looking. :D I kid, I kid.

but yes, we'd definitely get along in the real world I think lol.

Yay!!!!!!!
Yay!!!!!!!
Yay!!!!!!!
Seriously though when I saw the thread update in my notifications I was like "this better be an acceptance and not just some well wisher" hahaha lol I was ready to be angry but then I was pleasantly surprised

Congratulations @DoctorLacrosse!!!

Live it up this winter and summer break . . . Asia, South America, Europe. Go travel and have the time of your LIFE. :cigar:

I went through this entire thread and just kept going 'holy ****, what a disciplined and driven machine.' Your 20+ credit semester with all those A's were impressive.

Keep your great attitude up during medical school and beyond!

Thank You for sharing your story with us, you are such an inspiration! You've shown that all of this hard work really does pay off when you are going after your dream. Congrats, you deserve it!!!

Yay!!!!!!!
Yay!!!!!!!
Yay!!!!!!!
Seriously though when I saw the thread update in my notifications I was like "this better be an acceptance and not just some well wisher" hahaha lol I was ready to be angry but then I was pleasantly surprised

haha you've been great also, thanks so much!

Congratulations @DoctorLacrosse!!!

Live it up this winter and summer break . . . Asia, South America, Europe. Go travel and have the time of your LIFE. :cigar:

I went through this entire thread and just kept going 'holy ****, what a disciplined and driven machine.' Your 20+ credit semester with all those A's were impressive.

Keep your great attitude up during medical school and beyond!

haha those semesters were hard times, but it worked out. trips are exactly what I'm planning at the moment! got two trips in mind I have to go on after interviews end around March. I hope to be in at one of these top notch MD programs by then so I can breathe easy for the remainder of the year. thanks a lot for the positive words.

Very impresive, congrats @DoctorLacrosse! Truly inspirational.

you've been another regular around here with the positive thoughts. it is very appreciated!

Thank You for sharing your story with us, you are such an inspiration! You've shown that all of this hard work really does pay off when you are going after your dream. Congrats, you deserve it!!!

When this story began, I just hoped that someday it would have a happy ending. Nearly three long, difficult, scary years later, I'd do it all again for this feeling. Thank you for the congrats!

...but wow, all of this support has been unreal. You guys are incredible. I can't even tell you all what it means to me! I will continue the updates as the cycle continues, and I pray that one of these dream schools comes through. that would just be icing on the cake. wishing everyone a happy holiday season, I know mine will be!

Dude, read your story from start to (almost) finish and I had to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! You really are amazing!!!:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:

Dude, read your story from start to (almost) finish and I had to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! You really are amazing!!!:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:

hahaha I don't know about amazing. just someone not willing to give up on my dreams, no matter the cost. thanks so much for the kind words! :)

Last edited:
Congratulations! What better way to celebrate the holidays than to have all of the stress and anticipation removed?!

I hadn't checked out your updates until today but I strongly believe that there are many schools that will sit up and take interest in a passionate individual if they can show that they are NOW ready for the rigors of medical school. I had a very different story but it was also a comeback story. I got severely ill and had to drop out of school in my sophomore year, but only after getting a few D and F grades because I literally passed out in the middle of a few midterms and finals. After struggling through for almost two years I got diagnosed with a medical condition that was treatable and non-degenerative. I worked very hard to regain my health and started back at school with a new dedication. I performed well and pushed harder, adding more difficult courses, jobs, internships and volunteer activities. I will never be as good academically as some other students but I have valuable life experience. I believe that it will make me a stronger, and more understanding person to have dealt with personal challenge. I am physically fine now, but I know that the whole episode may be viewed in several ways by different people on committees.

I hope that I am right and we will each have our chance. I think we are great representatives of how life can be much more than we are ready for. We each took control and overcame the challenges in our lives, no matter where those challenges came from. I believe you will be a fun and interesting person to have as a colleague and I hope we both do great this cycle! I would love to be in a medical program with you, or even just to remain in touch in the future as I expect you will be a great physician! I am SO happy that you have an acceptance already, it gives me hope!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I hadn't checked out your updates until today but I strongly believe that there are many schools that will sit up and take interest in a passionate individual if they can show that they are NOW ready for the rigors of medical school. I had a very different story but it was also a comeback story. I got severely ill and had to drop out of school in my sophomore year, but only after getting a few D and F grades because I literally passed out in the middle of a few midterms and finals. After struggling through for almost two years I got diagnosed with a medical condition that was treatable and non-degenerative. I worked very hard to regain my health and started back at school with a new dedication. I performed well and pushed harder, adding more difficult courses, jobs, internships and volunteer activities. I will never be as good academically as some other students but I have valuable life experience. I believe that it will make me a stronger, and more understanding person to have dealt with personal challenge. I am physically fine now, but I know that the whole episode may be viewed in several ways by different people on committees.

I hope that I am right and we will each have our chance. I think we are great representatives of how life can be much more than we are ready for. We each took control and overcame the challenges in our lives, no matter where those challenges came from. I believe you will be a fun and interesting person to have as a colleague and I hope we both do great this cycle! I would love to be in a medical program with you, or even just to remain in touch in the future as I expect you will be a great physician! I am SO happy that you have an acceptance already, it gives me hope!

wow, stop making me emotional! haha. first off, I have to say, your posts are always extremely well-written and well-thought out. I can't thank you enough for taking the time out to share a bit of your story, as well as for sending me such a heartfelt message. secondly, your story sounds like an amazing tale of triumph and I'm extremely happy that you've been able to improve your health enough to try and live out your dream. kudos to you for that!

I agree that those of us who overcome obstacles to reach our goals always end up the most appreciative of our accomplishments. it's for that reason that I definitely think we will both be fantastic physicians some day! keep me updated with how your cycle ends up, and maybe we will end up in a program together! that would be awesome! either way I'd love to keep in touch, as I just know you'll accomplish great things in the future. thank you again for such a kind post, it made my day! it's posts like these that make me so grateful for sharing my journey through this thread.

I'm so moved that things are looking so BRIGHT for you! This whole process gets so competitive and number specific that it's hard to find joy in such scenarios. But it surely has come to you :) No matter what happens, know that the school you go to does NOT determine your residency placement, just the level of dedication and hardwork you put in throughout medical school. You've already shown that capability so I'm pretty sure you will find a way to kill it in medical school as well, although maybe you can do a thread about that too for people who struggle through med school! :p

You really are having a stellar set of holidays, that's for sure! And Touro Med! That's in my home city!

I'm so moved that things are looking so BRIGHT for you! This whole process gets so competitive and number specific that it's hard to find joy in such scenarios. But it surely has come to you :) No matter what happens, know that the school you go to does NOT determine your residency placement, just the level of dedication and hardwork you put in throughout medical school. You've already shown that capability so I'm pretty sure you will find a way to kill it in medical school as well, although maybe you can do a thread about that too for people who struggle through med school! :p

You really are having a stellar set of holidays, that's for sure! And Touro Med! That's in my home city!

the ability to put my head down and work for what I want has been the most important thing I've learned throughout this all. you hit the nail on the head! if I end up at touro, maybe well meet for a drink or something sometime! haha, thank you for these words of encouragement!

Maybe! Drinks would be on me in return for motivation haha! You are welcome :)

I just read through your thread and just wanted to echo the many others here who have offered congratulations. It seems like you really kicked it into another gear, and are reaping the rewards. It is a long process, but you seem to have found the motivation to push through, to keep attaining higher and higher levels. They say that our relative level of intelligence is somewhat set, but it is our motivation that can change, that we can control. With your work ethic, I am sure you will make a great doctor. Now take the holidays and get some well earned rest :)

I just read through your thread and just wanted to echo the many others here who have offered congratulations. It seems like you really kicked it into another gear, and are reaping the rewards. It is a long process, but you seem to have found the motivation to push through, to keep attaining higher and higher levels. They say that our relative level of intelligence is somewhat set, but it is our motivation that can change, that we can control. With your work ethic, I am sure you will make a great doctor. Now take the holidays and get some well earned rest :)

I certainly agree with that. I like to think the intelligence was always there, just not the work ethic. once I decided to kick it into gear, success happened, and I couldn't be more grateful! thank you for taking the time to offer some kind words!

Hey man,

I'm so glad that you overcame your predicaments

Wish the best of luck and hope that you find the fulfillment you expect in medicine!

My Calc teacher once said that Success wasn't perfection, but overcoming one's failure. Thank you for proving her right :clap:

Hey man,

I'm so glad that you overcame your predicaments

Wish the best of luck and hope that you find the fulfillment you expect in medicine!

My Calc teacher once said that Success wasn't perfection, but overcoming one's failure. Thank you for proving her right :clap:

Your calc teacher is a wise woman. thanks a lot!

I'm late to the game, but CONGRATS!!! I'm so happy for you! Seems like only yesterday we were agonizing over that MCAT... :roflcopter:

Wow.. Just wow. *standing ovation*

Happy freaking holidays to all you all out there! Doctor Lacrosse I hope to be toasting our good fortune together come spring, but until then enjoy the holidays! :)

Reactions: 3 users
I'm late to the game, but CONGRATS!!! I'm so happy for you! Seems like only yesterday we were agonizing over that MCAT... :roflcopter:

haha I think the best part is never having to take that thing again!

Wow.. Just wow. *standing ovation*

thanks a lot!

Happy freaking holidays to all you all out there! Doctor Lacrosse I hope to be toasting our good fortune together come spring, but until then enjoy the holidays! :)

lets keep fighting on! I'm not content yet, still have a long cycle to go. have a great holiday everyone, and hopefully some more success to come!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats DoctorLacrosse. Such an amazing story. I was able to follow this story because one of the SDN members posted this link along with the phrase anything is possible to their quotes section.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats DoctorLacrosse. Such an amazing story. I was able to follow this story because one of the SDN members posted this link along with the phrase anything is possible to their quotes section.

do you know which member that was? I'd love to say thanks to them for the praise. but thank you! the love I've gotten from people around the forum has been crazy, and I'm grateful.

Your post of December 5 gave me chills - so much congrats! Good intentions are one thing, but you certainly backed them up. Can't wait to read more of your saga.

I could sit here and type page upon page of congratulatory words. But instead I'll just say how amazing reading your entire story this morning over Chinese food and a cold soda was! Your story is surprisingly similar to mine and I too increased my overall GPA from a 2.7 ish to a 3.3 ish currently. These posts have given me the desire to do post my own story one day. Thanks so much for your inspirational story and if I could give you a big ole man hug I would hahahaha

-Brett

Reactions: 5 users
I could sit here and type page upon page of congratulatory words. But instead I'll just say how amazing reading your entire story this morning over Chinese food and a cold soda was! Your story is surprisingly similar to mine and I too increased my overall GPA from a 2.7 ish to a 3.3 ish currently. These posts have given me the desire to do post my own story one day. Thanks so much for your inspirational story and if I could give you a big ole man hug I would hahahaha

-Brett

haha thanks a lot Brett. congrats to you on your huge turn around as well, I know how difficult it can be to raise a GPA that much. I'm glad I've inspired you, and if you ever decide to tell your tale, please let me know so I can give it a read!! perhaps we'll bro hug it out someday after a beer hahaha, best of luck my friend.

Heck yeah bro! Will do.

haha thanks a lot Brett. congrats to you on your huge turn around as well, I know how difficult it can be to raise a GPA that much. I'm glad I've inspired you, and if you ever decide to tell your tale, please let me know so I can give it a read!! perhaps we'll bro hug it out someday after a beer hahaha, best of luck my friend.

Very late to the game but great job DoctorLacrosse!

Reactions: 2 users