DoctorLacrosse's Inspirational Comeback Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DoctorLacrosse,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I started my undergrad this past year and I had an awful time adjusting to college life. Like you said, I figured because I skated through High School I could skate through university. I couldn't have been more incorrect.

You have truly inspired me and are pretty much the reason I am able to remain hopeful. I've started working harder and really buckling down on my coursework. One day, whether a DO or MD, I am going to become a physician.

Reactions: 1 users
DoctorLacrosse,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I started my undergrad this past year and I had an awful time adjusting to college life. Like you said, I figured because I skated through High School I could skate through university. I couldn't have been more incorrect.

You have truly inspired me and are pretty much the reason I am able to remain hopeful. I've started working harder and really buckling down on my coursework. One day, whether a DO or MD, I am going to become a physician.

I've walked in your shoes. it's a tough road, but it can be done, and with that attitude, you can't be stopped. best of luck along the way, and please reach out if I can be of assistance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
YAAAAASSSSSSSSS.....YOU ARE MY HERO....I just hope I can be on your feet one day also!

Reactions: 2 users
I am so happy to hear the great news and I am honored to have you as a colleague! :)

I am so happy to hear the great news and I am honored to have you as a colleague! :)

haha thank you so much, I couldn't ask for better future colleagues! you've been another who's continued to push me with your positive words. can't wait to start!

I know someone who was actually required to withdraw by his university for poor grades in his 1st year - trying to skate by like in high school, sound familiar?
He came back, pulled straight A's with a 34 MCAT and is now in Browns medical school. Love stories like that and yours is just as inspirational

You know what I like? That moment when you know it was all worth it, and any doubt disappears. Now we start fresh (but we never forget the valuable lessons learned) and we use what we have learned to drive us to be better physicians. I hope that you can bask in this feeling for a while, I sure am! Soon we start down the part we have all waited for and worked towards. It will be way harder then we can imagine, but so worth it! I have never been so excited for the first day of class!

Stayed up late last night to read the whole thread. Impressive comeback story. Congratulations!

this. I tried to take orgo 1 post-bac after not touching any chemistry in three years. I got slaughtered and withdrew just in time. retook it the following fall semester and got a B+.
Why did you get slaughtered over the summer? Was it because the pace was intense and you weren't keeping up? It doesn't sound like you changed anything much the next semester except for having more exposure to the material. Didn't realize summer classes were this intense.

Why did you get slaughtered over the summer? Was it because the pace was intense and you weren't keeping up? It doesn't sound like you changed anything much the next semester except for having more exposure to the material. Didn't realize summer classes were this intense.
I have taken summer classes, and I know very well from my own experience that they can be intense as hell (specially because the materials are packed into such a small period of time)

Reactions: 3 users
It's all still kind of sinking in for me. I woke up this morning thinking the MD acceptance was all a dream, but reading that acceptance letter again just made my heart race. Today someone asked me if I would do it all again, and without hesitation I said ABSOLUTELY, just to feel what I felt yesterday. I read through this whole thread start to finish and my goodness, what a long way I've come. I am determined to be the best physician I possibly can, and I won't accept anything less. I'm so happy!

Reactions: 21 users
I have taken summer classes, and I know very well from my own experience that they can be intense as hell (specially because the materials are packed into such a small period of time)
Also, getting your brain back in study mode is hard!! Don't discount that challenge. It can take a while to get your brain retrained. I took time off and it took a while to get back to learning at the same rate!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's all still kind of sinking in for me. I woke up this morning thinking the MD acceptance was all a dream, but reading that acceptance letter again just made my heart race. Today someone asked me if I would do it all again, and without hesitation I said ABSOLUTELY, just to feel what I felt yesterday. I read through this whole thread start to finish and my goodness, what a long way I've come. I am determined to be the best physician I possibly can, and I won't accept anything less. I'm so happy!
I reread this and had to tell you I have been feeling the same way! SO MUCH EUPHORIA! So many kudos, seriously!

Congrats Doc! Just finished reading the whole thread... consider me inspired..

I really wish I had stumbled upon your post when you first posted it, because I was in a similar situation at the time. I'm also one of those mistake-college-for-highschool'ers. I just couldn't find that motivation you found.. your post might have really helped me then.. this is my current situation. I would really love some advice!

Again.. congratulations on making it and showing the world that it is possible! Best of luck in med school and beyond...

Congrats Doc! Just finished reading the whole thread... consider me inspired..

I really wish I had stumbled upon your post when you first posted it, because I was in a similar situation at the time. I'm also one of those mistake-college-for-highschool'ers. I just couldn't find that motivation you found.. your post might have really helped me then.. this is my current situation. I would really love some advice!

Again.. congratulations on making it and showing the world that it is possible! Best of luck in med school and beyond...

better late than never, my friend! I appreciate the congrats, and I'll certainly take a look at your thread and offer some advice! good luck with the upcoming cycle, you got this!

Yep. Suddenly having a test every week/two weeks vs. having one every four weeks makes a big difference. At that time, I had always been under the impression that summer classes were easier. And even having prior exposure from the summer class didn't help me much when I retook it.

In fact, the biggest thing that saved me was that the fall semester class had weekly TA review sessions. I poured TONS of time into those.

According to his MDapps, seems like he will be attending NYMC

According to his MDapps, seems like he will be attending NYMC

this, and I couldn't be more grateful for the opportunity!

Super duper late, but oh my gosh... I just read the thread from the beginning and I am in actual tears!!! You are truly an inspiration to all. I still don't fully understand how you managed to work, go from a C to A student, and get into MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!! Thank you for creating this thread. It's truly inspiring as I did not have a great first year, but am going full force into my sophomore year. My momma's signature saying is true: "If you want it bad enough, you can achieve it."

thank you very much for this post. it was a ton of work, and it took an emotional toll on me at times, but I'd gladly do it all again if I had to. I always had the ability, it was more about buckling down to do it. if I can help you with anything, message me! best of luck

Dude, I'm so happy for you!!! I read your story at the beginning of this cycle and I'm beyond thrilled at how this worked out!!! See you on the other side as colleagues!!!! :):clap::biglove:

I've been a lurker for who knows how long, especially the underdawg threads, and can't believe i'm just now reading your story. I'm on the same boat as you were a year or so ago and let me tell you, you sir, are an inspiration. Congrats on NYMC!! Keep on keepin' on. Thanks again for the inspiration and hope. Bless.

I hope everyone is doing well! This might be my last little update for some time (perhaps the remainder of this year), but as of now I am two exams (and some practicals) deep into medical school, and I am quite comfortably above average on each exam thus far. Just realize your past does not necessarily dictate your future, and you can accomplish anything you want to accomplish with hard work and realistic goals. Best of luck to all along their journeys!

Reactions: 18 users
Late to the party obviously, but I actually cried while reading you got accepted. Congratulations!

Late to the party obviously, but I actually cried while reading you got accepted. Congratulations!

just saw this, but thanks so much! currently doing extremely well in med school, just hope i can keep it going! hope everything is well with you

Reactions: 6 users
just saw this, but thanks so much! currently doing extremely well in med school, just hope i can keep it going! hope everything is well with you

Hey man hope you give some transperancy on NYMc's admissions

How long did it take to hear back from NYMC? It has been cricket chirps for 10 weeks. :(

Submitted my secondary on July 14th

CASPR Bioethics Test done on August 17

@DoctorLacrosse

You sir, are a machine! Such a great story of being critical and changing things to give yourself a chance!

@Goro gave some very great advice as well along the way.

Best story on SDN. Thank you being a role model for many of us.

Hey man hope you give some transperancy on NYMc's admissions

How long did it take to hear back from NYMC? It has been cricket chirps for 10 weeks. :(

Submitted my secondary on July 14th

CASPR Bioethics Test done on August 17

It was actually one of my last interviews (took awhile). Sorry I can't be that helpful, the only Casper I know of is the friendly ghost. Just do your best to be patient and send updates/interest letters if applicable, they get a ton of apps!

@DoctorLacrosse

You sir, are a machine! Such a great story of being critical and changing things to give yourself a chance!

@Goro gave some very great advice as well along the way.
Best story on SDN. Thank you being a role model for many of us.

thank you both very much! these positive comments have been great motivation for me to keep going. first block finals next week! I appreciate the support and hope you're both doing well.

Like everyone else here, I just wanted to say thanks for such an inspirational story. I've done well my first few semesters of undergrad, but lately I've been feeling a lack of motivation. Reading this story alone has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me (and I can only imagine what it was like for you), and I definitely needed this.
Congrats on your amazing comeback and accomplishments! I will be sharing this story with many of my fellow premeds!!! :)

OMG!! Just found this story!
Congrats! So happy for you! My story is so similar to yours (with worse GPA!) I was thinking about creating a thread like this. Should I? I am worried that it will take away my anonymity.
Do you think the thread affected you in anyways while you were applying? Did anyone identify you?

lemme ask you something; for many of your interviews, how long did it take to hear from the places you had an II? Around new years? I am happy I made it somewhere but I would really like to hear back from some of my top choices.

Any info would be fine, @DoctorLacrosse :)

lemme ask you something; for many of your interviews, how long did it take to hear from the places you had an II? Around new years? I am happy I made it somewhere but I would really like to hear back from some of my top choices.

Any info would be fine, @DoctorLacrosse :)

every school is different. I'd say it was typically around 4-6 weeks depending, but all you can really do is be patient.

lol no not that I'm aware of. there are thousands of applicants out there. i'd advise being careful with what you say online in general. act like a mature adult and you should be okay.
I feel like starting one thread (after I hear back about my grades for this semester)

I feel like starting one thread (after I hear back about my grades for this semester)

I really hope you've been staying consistent and working hard! shoot me an update message when you hear back about grades and let me know your next move!

I'm in an almost identical situation but with half the GPA to start with (but luckily they were only that bad into my second semester and not junior!) and I have the same end-goal. I came here to post a chances thread and saw this. I'll probably post it later after Christmas day but this post is an amazing read and really makes me feel good going forward in the future. I totally relate to that feeling of not knowing if you can make it in and that you may not be good enough and going into every day just hoping you can pull the A off at the end of the semester. It's the most scary thing I've ever faced in my life and you summed up exactly what I'm going through as I work towards an MD acceptance. Thank you for posting this.

You're a huge inspiration! Good luck in medical school, you will kill it!

I really love your story. When I review last years threads I see your story unfold. Hope your doing well in medical school.

I'm in an almost identical situation but with half the GPA to start with (but luckily they were only that bad into my second semester and not junior!) and I have the same end-goal. I came here to post a chances thread and saw this. I'll probably post it later after Christmas day but this post is an amazing read and really makes me feel good going forward in the future. I totally relate to that feeling of not knowing if you can make it in and that you may not be good enough and going into every day just hoping you can pull the A off at the end of the semester. It's the most scary thing I've ever faced in my life and you summed up exactly what I'm going through as I work towards an MD acceptance. Thank you for posting this.

You're a huge inspiration! Good luck in medical school, you will kill it!
I really love your story. When I review last years threads I see your story unfold. Hope your doing well in medical school.

thank you both for the kind words. med school is hard lol, but I've been doing very well so far so I can't complain.

if you're willing to literally give it everything you have inside yourself, you can't fail. just keep going until you make it. good luck, and please send me a PM if I can help out in any way!

Bump. First day of a new semester tomorrow and needed the inspiration. Also, it's 1:19am and I'm sitting in my bedroom eating potato chips...probably not the best start, but reading the awesomeness of this thread for sure compensates.

I definitely encourage others who may need some of that motivation magic to read through this thread. To OP, hope everything has been great!