doctors and nailpolish

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgrl30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is random, but are there any rules about not being able to wear nailpolish as a medical student or physician? Come to think of it, I don't know if I ever have been to a doctor myself that has worn nailpolish.

Members don't see this ad.

Yup! I know that all those who have direct patient contact in hospitals (nurses, docs, techs) CAN have nail polish. However, it shouldn't be chipped because of potential flaking and possible increased bacterial transmission.

I guess someone found out that bacteria can adhere more to the chipped area than smooth nail polish. You also can't have fake nails for pretty much the same reason.

This is random, but are there any rules about not being able to wear nailpolish as a medical student or physician? Come to think of it, I don't know if I ever have been to a doctor myself that has worn nailpolish.

Surgeons and OB/gyns who operate are encouraged not to wear nail polish. Med students on these rotations aren't supposed to wear nail polish either. When you scrub in for surgery, you aren't supposed to have anything (rings, watches, jewelry, nail polish) on your hands.