Doctors In Training (DIT) - Recommended?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocYuki

The Gamer Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,
It's been a long, long time since my last post, haha. I've been busy with the notorious pre-clinical years.

I am preparing for Step I, which I am scheduled to take on June 3rd, 2009. I have the essentials ready to go once finals are over on May 8th:

-First Aid 2009
-Goljan Audio and RR Book
-USMLE World
-Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple
-BRS Physio, Path

But there's one major detail. I am the kind of guy who, when it comes to things like preparing for Step I, needs something structured; a push, if you will. I'm not confident I can get up every morning and cover all I need to by myself.

I wouldn't consider a KAPLAN course because they are too expensive and I know that company doesn't bode well with me from previous experience. I was considering this little company: http://doctorsintraining.com/

I have zero knowledge of how they are. Noone at my med-school has an opinion, except for the fact that noone was impressed when they came and spoke to us. But has anyone on here tried them out? They offer, for $600, a series of lectures spanning 15 straight days, each day being 5-6 hours of lecture. The lectures are meant to be active-learning and they use First Aid 2009 as the text book. I don't see how this could go wrong, but the guy who lectures kind of creeps me out. I don't know if I trust him...he might just read straight off of First Aid and waste my $600.

So money, and more importantly, good test prep technique is at stake. I'm the kind of person who needs the push of watching daily lectures, but is this worth the cost?

Anyone with first-hand experience or any idea beyond what I know (which is just what DIT says) is invited to offer an opinion. It would greatly help me out. Thanks! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't really heard what you guys are adding to supplement your studying with DIT? Anything? Add RR, goljan lectures, BRS physio, HY whatever? I like the idea of the course but I need to know what books I can cut out, if any, to make time for the course. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't really heard what you guys are adding to supplement your studying with DIT? Anything? Add RR, goljan lectures, BRS physio, HY whatever? I like the idea of the course but I need to know what books I can cut out, if any, to make time for the course. Thanks!

The point of DIT is to get you through FA thoroughly and effectively. I don't think it should replace RR or BRS physio (or at least I am not going to).

DIT is an absolute brilliant way of getting through FA if you just cant sit down and read factoids format like the FA has it. It serves me 2 purposes, it gets me through the relevant FA chapter that i'm about to do qbank/uworld questions during the day, and at night, puts me straight to sleep as I watch the video again for reviewing purposes.

DIT is an absolute brilliant way of getting through FA if you just cant sit down and read factoids format like the FA has it. It serves me 2 purposes, it gets me through the relevant FA chapter that i'm about to do qbank/uworld questions during the day, and at night, puts me straight to sleep as I watch the video again for reviewing purposes.

i'm sitting in my library and i, no ****, laughed out loud when i read the 2nd reason behind DIT's brilliance. i wish you could watch the videos for longer than a month - i will let ya'll know what i think about it in late may.

I checked their website and they boast a 237 avg for their students that took the exam last year. That seems pretty high to me since it is ~83%ile. Does anyone know if everyone reports their score to them? It would seem that if you had to option to report, that mainly people that scored well would report, thus artificially bumping the avg up.

... or is it really just that good?

While I really liked the course, and will take it again for Step 2, that claim is a very skewed number. It's only based on the students' self reports after you take the exam. Like you said, I know lots of students that weren't proud of their scores and deleted any email that had anything to do with Step for awhile. I think DIT probably has an average well above the national average, but in reality it is not a 237.

Don't add anything else to the formula. I took STEP 1 last May and was very pleasantly surprised. Throughout M2 year I used Goljan audio, RR, Micro Simple, etc, but the purpose of the DIT course is to consolidate your knowledge base into two easy to follow sources - FA and the course supplement. Three weeks of DIT + completing USMLE World = great success. Good luck!

Although it's true that different things work for different people, there is likely 80% similarity in what works for everyone.

Last edited:
I am on the last day of this course and I thought it was great--helped me actually get thru my first aid (I didnt even know certain sections existed)--I do have one question--How high yield are the pharm treatment additions from the course? Its a lot of stuff...

I am on the last day of this course and I thought it was great--helped me actually get thru my first aid (I didnt even know certain sections existed)--I do have one question--How high yield are the pharm treatment additions from the course? Its a lot of stuff...

Did you follow the plan they recommend as well? Like listening to the lectures in the AM, and then doing question bank questions in the PM + review of questions. If yes, do you think it was a good study plan?

Ok Question!

I taking USMLE on June 10th, I'm currently following my own plan, and it's going "ok." I'm planning on getting Uworld next week and starting that, but i'm not through first aid yet. I'm also listening to goljan and using his notes for path. I'm still in classes, and will be until may 21st.

I really want to use DIT, at least the videos, and I'm thinking of using them for my second pass through first aid. Should I wait until 3 weeks before my exam and go through the videos then?

Help... thanks all!

Ok Question!

I taking USMLE on June 10th, I'm currently following my own plan, and it's going "ok." I'm planning on getting Uworld next week and starting that, but i'm not through first aid yet. I'm also listening to goljan and using his notes for path. I'm still in classes, and will be until may 21st.

I really want to use DIT, at least the videos, and I'm thinking of using them for my second pass through first aid. Should I wait until 3 weeks before my exam and go through the videos then?

Help... thanks all!

I'm doing something similar. Most recommendations are taking the test within 1-2 weeks after you finish DIT, if you're doing tons of questions and still actively studying, I really don't see why'd you'd drop off. Just take a weekly NBME to make sure you're scores aren't falling. I plan on taking 3 weeks after DIT to study on my own (2nd Taus pass).

Members don't see this ad :)
2 questions:

1. Does DIT coming with a syllabus where you can pre-read the corresponding pages in FA?

2. How long is the supplemental packet and is it HY?

Thank you:)

im considering completing it in 15 days, and taking it exactly 1 week after.
If the supplemental is as long as the FA, did you review that as well after watching the videos.

I will be doing the DIT prog as my 3rd run through, and I plan on doing the videos + questions that i guess go along with DIT for the 1st 6 hours of my day. Then taking 2 hours to go over the relevant sections/memorize w/e I need to for the covered FA topics.

For the next 6-8hours of my day I want to do 100UWorld Questions/day.
What do you think of my plan?

im not sure how to EFFECTIVELY use DIT. whether to do only 50World Questions/day and focus mainly on the DIT and what was covered. Or since it will be my 3rd run through the material, just briefly go over to covered topics in 2hrs after watching the videos and focus on UWorld Random questions.

2 questions:

1. Does DIT coming with a syllabus where you can pre-read the corresponding pages in FA?

2. How long is the supplemental packet and is it HY?

Thank you:)
1. Not exactly. I think you are asking if there is a list of page numbers for each day, and there isn't. However, the topics for each day are laid out on the web site (you can even see them now, without signing up.) During the video, slides with the page numbers flash up so you can follow along, but it would be nice to have those all in a list too to do what you are thinking of doing.

2. He claims the packet is HY. There is a decent amount of stuff in there that is not in FA. A lot of it is review questions (many of which he calls "High Yield Questions") <shrug>

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to a 30 day plan of: pre-read and watch the videos day to day. That what I like to do with class.

I need some input. I have nearly completed Kaplan qbank (61%) and have read FA throughout class while reading BRS Path and Phys. I was thinking of using DIT as a semi first/2nd pass through FA in the next 11 days. Just watch 4 videos a day (2 in the morning and 2 at night). Then start my hardcore studying after I watch the videos once. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to a 30 day plan of: pre-read and watch the videos day to day. That what I like to do with class.

I need some input. I have nearly completed Kaplan qbank (61%) and have read FA throughout class while reading BRS Path and Phys. I was thinking of using DIT as a semi first/2nd pass through FA in the next 11 days. Just watch 4 videos a day (2 in the morning and 2 at night). Then start my hardcore studying after I watch the videos once. Does that sound reasonable?

I wouldn't use it as a first pass. I think for most people it would be hard to get much out of it. I also think 4 videos a day would be difficult, sure you will get through the 4 videos but it takes a lot of extra time to commit it to memory.

I wouldn't use it as a first pass. I think for most people it would be hard to get much out of it. I also think 4 videos a day would be difficult, sure you will get through the 4 videos but it takes a lot of extra time to commit it to memory.

Thanks for the input. I am trying to find a good way to spend the next 2 weeks before classes end. Time is to valuable these days :p

Has anyone taken the Diagnostic Test for DIT? I’m just wondering if it’s a waste of time or not to do it.
Also, for those who have taken it, did you find it to be predictive at all of your actual score?
Thanks for the input!

Has anyone taken the Diagnostic Test for DIT? I'm just wondering if it's a waste of time or not to do it.
Also, for those who have taken it, did you find it to be predictive at all of your actual score?
Thanks for the input!
I took it, but haven't taken Step 1 yet, so I have no idea if it is predictive. I doubt it, however. It just gives you a % correct and lets you review the answers. I didn't think the questions were anything like Uworld or Kaplan -- They were mostly 1-step questions and were either too easy or too detailed (more of the former than the latter.) However, my philosophy is that the more questions that I do, the better, so I don't feel like it was a waste of time. Speaking of which, I finished in significantly less time than 2 hours.

I took it, but haven't taken Step 1 yet, so I have no idea if it is predictive. I doubt it, however. It just gives you a % correct and lets you review the answers. I didn't think the questions were anything like Uworld or Kaplan -- They were mostly 1-step questions and were either too easy or too detailed (more of the former than the latter.) However, my philosophy is that the more questions that I do, the better, so I don't feel like it was a waste of time. Speaking of which, I finished in significantly less time than 2 hours.

I agree, the more questions the better. NBME's will be the best predictor of how well we are doing.

Sal, after the course do you feel more confident with the material?

Agreed. I had trouble keeping up with the 3 lectures per day plan. That's why I freaked out and actually called DIT and they helped me split it up a little differently--It worked for me. Basically I did 3 days on, 2 off--Reviewed more in between...It took me 4 weeks, but I wasn't in a hurry. Then I did a 3rd pass on FA.

Thanks for the info. I think I will save DIT for my 3rd pass. Hopefully hearing him say everything will make it stick.

Is there anyone currently watching the lectures for 2010 course? Can you please tell me if the lectures are played in the same format as the video on the demo page?: http://course.doctorsintraining.com/DEMOplayer.php

I'm having problems loading that video on my laptop and I want to sort everything out before I start my 30 days. Thanks a lot!

FOr those of you who have taken it already (or haven't), would you recommend using the DIT lectures as a 2nd run thru, like... 7ish wks before the exam? or a 4 wks before like DIT recommends? I wasn't sure if it might help to go thru it by urself after going thru lectures to memorize things...

any advice will be helpful!
Thanks

Just got the supplemental booklet, and man, this thing is rife with information. Definitely gonna have my hands full with this course. I had aspirations of doing tons and tons of practice questions, but that may have to wait. I'm ready to get started!

FOr those of you who have taken it already (or haven't), would you recommend using the DIT lectures as a 2nd run thru, like... 7ish wks before the exam? or a 4 wks before like DIT recommends? I wasn't sure if it might help to go thru it by urself after going thru lectures to memorize things...

any advice will be helpful!
Thanks

I think the value of this course is that it really highlights the highest of the high yield and drills you on it again and again to get it into your short/mid-term memory, and this is where you can see a nice boost in score. If you're looking for a way to run through FA but in an interactive fashion, consider the USMLERx question bank. 3300 questions and it's cheaper than some of the other alternatives.

Anyone try going through DIT twice? I have approximately a month off before my exam and am thinking of going through it twice in that time while 2 100 UW questions each night (this will be my second pass through the questions).

Anyone try going through DIT twice? I have approximately a month off before my exam and am thinking of going through it twice in that time while 2 100 UW questions each night (this will be my second pass through the questions).

I think that's probably a to each their own decision. You'll be able to tell after you do it once if it'll work for you to do it again or to just do select ones. I personally think after having seen it once its probably more efficient to just review first aid and the handouts at a rapid rate since every word he's said is in there if you followed along.

Hi,

Does DIT have Path Slides that he puts up on the screen? When I listen to Goljan I wish I could be looking at the slides he is referencing. IF this DIT guy uses slides that might influence my decision.

Also, Does he actually explain anything like Goljan does, or tie things together like Goljan does, or does this guy just literally read from First Aid and expect you to have all the background to put everything together?

Thanks.

Hi,

Does DIT have Path Slides that he puts up on the screen? When I listen to Goljan I wish I could be looking at the slides he is referencing. IF this DIT guy uses slides that might influence my decision.

Also, Does he actually explain anything like Goljan does, or tie things together like Goljan does, or does this guy just literally read from First Aid and expect you to have all the background to put everything together?

Thanks.
I believe goljan audios come with the slides, look around you may find them

Hi,

Thanks.

There are path slides, not a ton I'd say maybe something like 50-100 at the end of 15 days, he does a recap of all the images he used for that day at the end and I think there's prob on average 5-10 pics, a couple days there's more. I wish there were more though, specifically of microscopy, a large proportion are photos, he also has you flip to all the FA color photos in the index as they come up in lecture.

He explains everything he talks about and has you flipping around FA throughout the lecture but he doesn't really make integrations or teach you the material. It's good to do after goljan because he teaches everything in a high yield manner that is geared towards memorizing.

Perhaps someone can give me some input.
I have read RR already once, and on my 2nd pass through the material i am only using FA. I feel that i forgot a lot of the stuff in goljan.

I start DIT this week and will have exactly 3.5 wks until my exam date. Should I be reading Goljan during this time as well? or listening to his audio lectures?
I will have exactly 10 days once DIT ends. any input would be great, thank you.

I have a question about my recent purchase of DIT. I just received a file, which to my astonishment contained 148 pages worth of questions.

How did the majority of you go about answering these questions…..did you just read the answers from FA or did you actively type/write the answers to each of those questions?

Thanks

I also had a lot of questions to catch up on when I started 3 weeks ago. I split them up and did some every day, and eventually caught up a few days ago. I just wrote down brief specific answers to the questions, and tried to commit at least that much to memory. Had I started DIT in January, I probably would have spent more time reviewing the questions and pertinent material, but I thought the questions were a good way of highlighting some important concepts in First Aid.

Alright so I'm planning on starting DIT on May 20th and taking my exam around the 22nd of June... Unlike most people on here I didn't use FirstAid really at all while studying for my blocks... I also didn't do the questions that he sent out in email form...

My plan for now is to just forget about the questions he sent out, read first aid for the first time along with listening to some Goljan lectures from May 10 - May 20th... do the DIT course starting May 20th and then I'm not sure how I should be spacing out the lectures...

Does it sound reasonable?

He gets to all those questions' answers in the email during the course and most of the questions are in the review quizzes and lecture handouts. It seems like to me at least from the few I looked at and it makes sense since his course is really all about repetition, the questions could also be done probably for practice after the class.

Does anyone know if I can still buy the 2009 course? Because I do not have FA 2010. I have been using my 09 for the past year along with my coursework and really don't want to transfer all of the info over. Is there any way for me to see the videos that go along with 09?

Does anyone know if I can still buy the 2009 course? Because I do not have FA 2010. I have been using my 09 for the past year along with my coursework and really don't want to transfer all of the info over. Is there any way for me to see the videos that go along with 09?

call them and ask

has anyone here gone through DIT 2 or 3 times?
I have approximately 2 months from my test and am considering running through DIT twice, while doing a block of 48 q's in UWorld on tutor mode.
Does this seem like a good idea?

I have a question for those who have used DIT successfully in the past. When you were watching the videos, did you pause and write down every single answers on the work book? Those videos are long and full of information. The majority of the questions are just straight forward definition with the FA page reference. To me it seems like a big waste of time if I stop the videos and write down everything.

Do you still recommend doing that? Thanks

You only pause during the scheduled quizzes, of which there are usually 2, maybe 3 during a lecture. It only adds about 10 minutes of time to each lecture.

And yes it seems worth it because the point of it is repetition and getting you to read, write,
and hear the pertinent information.

does anybody have an idea on how to get the DIT videos on a hard drive or on dvds? Thanks.

Last edited:
They're pretty much useless without the review book they send you. Pay for the videos and watch them online or don't bother.

Thanks for the warning, but having read this thread i got the impression that DIT just goes through the FA. I like reading kaplan books but the FA is just too boring for me, and i thought DIT might be a more pleasant way of going through FA.

thanks for the warning, but having read this thread i got the impression that dit just goes through the fa. I like reading kaplan books but the fa is just too boring for me, and i thought dit might be a more pleasant way of going through fa.

x2