Doctor's Kids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you a doctor's kid?

• One of my parents is a doctor

Votes: 55 20.4%
  • Both of my parents are doctors

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Neither of my parents is a doctor

Votes: 205 75.9%

• Total voters

The Enchanter

Some call me... Tim?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people out there have parents who are doctors. When filling out applications, some asked whether either of my parents are physicians. Do you think having a parent who is a physician is a plus or minus on your application?

Members don't see this ad.

Neither of my parents is a doctor and no one in my extended family is either.

2 Dentists, however.

Doctor as in MD/DO only or are we considering JDs, PharmDs, PhDs, etc....?

Members don't see this ad :)
a LOT of my classmates have physician parents. I don't think it hurts you too much, but I have heard discussions about how they expect you to score and do well because they know your parents could prepare you well for what you could expect as a pre-med and could afford the resources to help you succeed.

my dad is a doctor. i think it's a plus.

I don't know man....being a legacy just might be better than being URM.

Oh no I didn't....oh god, here we go. :uhno:

Popcorn anyone?

:corny:

I was thinking physician
meh, none for me then. but I do know several kids with MD parents and/or MD parents with pre med/med kids. you know what they say about the apple falling from the tree....usually not to far.

It just seems to me that if you have physician parents it's likely you'll have better perspective on the lifestyle aspect of being a doctor which is bound to be a positive on the application. On the other hand, I wonder if adcoms get suspicious that you're being pressured into going to med school.

It just seems to me that if you have physician parents it's likely you'll have better perspective on the lifestyle aspect of being a doctor which is bound to be a positive on the application. On the other hand, I wonder if adcoms get suspicious that you're being pressured into going to med school.

exactly . . . i think these are the main advantage/ disadvantages to having physician parents. i think they kinda cancel out. plus there's the advantage that if your parent(s) are docs there's a good chance they have been able to help a lot financially, which never hurts.

i'm surprised that most of us who took this poll don't have doctor parents . . . although i think people tend to find SDN when they are unsure of themselves and the process and need moral support. maybe the kids of docs already have the knowledge and support and don't 'need' sdn the way we do?

im just saying because the # of kids with doc parents i've met at interviews and in med schools seems a lot higher than this poll suggests

1 MD parent.. I think it has been helpful in that I am familiar with what I am getting myself into, at least to a larger degree than a total outsider. The concept of 80 hour call, early mornings, and late nights is one thing but experiencing its impact on a loved one and one's family is a very different story. I also get to hear daily complaining about inter-provider dynamics, billing, problem patients, etc. Even though my dad likes his job I have definitely seen the negatives.. it's been like shadowing the annoying parts of medicine my whole life :rolleyes: My dad even tried to convince me not to go into medicine!

Members don't see this ad :)

i was very explicit on my apps about this. my parents never pressured me to pursue medicine, but I was interested in their work from a young age (mom's an RN, dad's an MD). I wrote that I never felt pressure, but that their professions gave me insight into the realities of practicing medicine, especially how it affects raising a family.

i think it's a plus if you present it correctly.

I don't think they'll hold it much against you. You can't choose your parents afterall.

I;m surprised that there such a large bias for children of doctors to go into medicine. If all of the negative stuff people say to keep you from going into medicine was actually true it would be doctors who would be most capable of stearing their children awya from a career in medicine.

If you consider that there are about 800,000 doctors in the US and maybe 1/2 of them are of the age where they could have a child that is applying to med school, then there are only 400,000 families that can respond yes to having a parent who is a doctor. With a population of 300,000,000 and again guessing 1/2 of the people could have kids of the age to be applying to med school there are 150,000,000 who could select no to the poll question. Assuming this forum has a random sampling of premeds the results for a parent as a doctor should be multiplied by 375. Right now there are 12 yes's and 37 no's, after correction there are over 120 times as many premeds with a parent who is a doctor

I;m surprised that there such a large bias for children of doctors to go into medicine. If all of the negative stuff people say to keep you from going into medicine was actually true it would be doctors who would be most capable of stearing their children awya from a career in medicine.

If you consider that there are about 800,000 doctors in the US and maybe 1/2 of them are of the age where they could have a child that is applying to med school, then there are only 400,000 families that can respond yes to having a parent who is a doctor. With a population of 300,000,000 and again guessing 1/2 of the people could have kids of the age to be applying to med school there are 150,000,000 who could select no to the poll question. Assuming this forum has a random sampling of premeds the results for a parent as a doctor should be multiplied by 375. Right now there are 12 yes's and 37 no's, after correction there are over 120 times as many premeds with a parent who is a doctor

Both my parents are doctors,
I'm the oldest and a pre-med
my brother in the middle is in engineering
my little sis, is probably going to do something related to journalism or law.

Neither of my parents is a doctor, but both of my uncles are and my grandfather was.

A huge proportion of my classmates have physicians as parents, far more than this poll suggests. I can actually think of a couple families where EVERYONE was a doctor back three generations. I myself wonder about their desire to actually be a doctor rather than follow the family tradition in families like that.

I know that as an admissions interviewer, seeing that an applicant has physicians as parents makes me ask more questions about their motivation to be a doctor.

I've heard that having at least one parent who is a doctor helps you in the application process. Many schools see that as you knowing almost firsthand what it is like being a doctor (parents coming home late, staying up late, having to work frequently, etc.).
I don't know how much of that is true, but I can see how it may help.

Nobody in my family has ever gone to college. Me and my cousin, who is my age, are the first.

But no, I don't think that having doctors for parents will give you any advantage or disadvantage.

Nobody in my family ever amounted to anything or ever desired to make something out of themselves. =\

That said, I can safely say nobody in my family (including my parents) wanted to be a doctor...or go to college.

First generation college grad here and proud of it! I think it's a plus to have parents that graduated college and a double blessing to have parents in the field you aspire to enter. I don't really see how it's a negative aspect of your application unless they are pushing you into it. But even still, you should have a great deal of exposure to the profession. imo

My Dad was an MD, it doesn't seem to be helping me out too much.

Neither parent is MD. But I certainly think those who have at least one parent who is a doctor do have more advantages than disadvantages, if any. Foremost is they are raised in a way that automatically prepares them for the entire med school process, because the parents already know what it takes. In my case, the whole premed process was a huge learning curve from the beginning. So I had to make difficult decisions as I learned about them and only had resources like friends, advisors, and websites. Can't help but think what if I did this or that differently, would I be better situation now? Guess my kids will have the advantage of knowing.

I'd say that those of who have parents who are physicians are often pushed away as much as (if not more than) anyone else -- esp. since we actually see the lifestyle physicians live. I have always been one to discourage people from going into medicine b/c it is a difficult lifestyle but so glamorized by Hollywood and b/c it isn't something you can do for yourself or for the ones you love. If either of those are your primary motivation, you're going to miserable. You do it largely out of charity. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, a lot of people still don't realize that as premeds.

I think one reason you see a lot docs' kids go into medicine is the same reason you see kids of parents of any profession pursue that profession -- it's something they are likely to be good at naturally and something they were raised around. While I am very aware of the difficulties, I have my dad's desire to seek a challenge as well as his generosity and love of serving. The latter two I could have fulfilled in psych but I wanted more of a challenge and I couldn't stand to always live with such a limited understanding of the human body. Being as I was the kid that took apart complex devices (electronics, appliances, mechanical devices, etc.) to see how they worked, it only makes sense I would want to have a deeper understanding of the way the human body works.

OTOH, I tend to give a bit of resistance to people who state they're "going to be doctors" but have little to no understanding of what a doctor's life is like simply b/c I don't want them to walk into this blindly as that would be doing them a huge disservice. I guess I would be of the opinion that the premed with physician parents probably has a better understanding of the life of a physician (at least in his/her parent(s)' specialty(ies)). It would seem that should let to less questions and concerns of an applicant's understanding of what it means to be a physician.

...As far as advantages, one thing that I haven't seen mentioned is connections. I know when I brought up schools for the first time to my dad (a clinical MD who also does a fair amount of research on the side and sits on a number of administrative and academic committees), he saw a few (and/or didn't see a few) that he was like "oh yeah, I'm having dinner w/ so-and-so who teaches/is PI of a lab/is director of _____ there next week" or "why aren't you applying to [top 10 research institution]? The director of _____ there is a PI on [national study my dad is PI of for our state's branch]." While I don't know how much those connections will actually help, it wouldn't surprise me if they had some influence on the outcome of admissions at certain institutions. I've had other docs tell me things along the lines of "nepotism is only bad if it means you get without being qualified" and "medicine is a family business." lol... not sure how I feel about that, but apparently having a well-connected parent who is an MD isn't exactly a bad thing or looked down upon! It simply means I have access to opportunities the average premed may not have access to. It also means, however, that I am probably expected to have a stronger app by medical schools and have the opportunity (and perhaps even responsibility) to help connect others with those resources.

Last edited:
So I had to make difficult decisions as I learned about them and only had resources like friends, advisors, and websites. Can't help but think what if I did this or that differently, would I be better situation now? Guess my kids will have the advantage of knowing.

I think it depends on the individual. Neither of my parents are doctors, but my younger brother wants to go to medical school. You'd think he might listen to my advice about applying, etc. from someone who just went through this only a few years ago but he doesn't. Always has been extremely stubborn and independent. :laugh:

So I guess don't count on your kids taking any advice you offer, either for med school or for anything else. Kids can just be like that.

my parents are doctors

and it did not help me one bit in medical school admission... i got in through my own merit

but in terms of knowing how medicine is, it helps a lot

and while it doesnt help to have parents who are doctors in med school admissions, i think it does help to have parents doctors when applying to residency programs, as they may know the PD and department very well, etc...

and also, usually I have seen children of doctor parents usually dont take a loan for med school or if they do it is minimal as parents pay for tuition

my parents are doctors

and it did not help me one bit in medical school admission... i got in through my own merit

and while it doesnt help to have parents who are doctors in med school admissions, i think it does help to have parents doctors when applying to residency programs, as they may know the PD and department very well, etc...

and also, usually I have seen children of doctor parents usually dont take a loan for med school or if they do it is minimal as parents pay for tuition

I'm sorry but the above is patently false. No one gets in simply "on their own merit." We all rely on others to help us along, whether we realize it or not. Whether or not you realize the help having parents who are docs provided you, they almost certainly gave you some advantages over other premeds...

I'm sorry but the above is patently false. No one gets in simply "on their own merit." We all rely on others to help us along, whether we realize it or not. Whether or not you realize the help having parents who are docs provided you, they almost certainly gave you some advantages over other premeds...

I agree with you that having parents who are immersed in medicine nearly every minute of every day can provide an insiders perspective on the process of becoming a doctor. Still, when it comes down to it, every premed has to put in the effort to get the grades and MCAT score and interview well, regardless of who their parents are. I think doctor's kids might have a leg up in a way, but they still have to scramble to get to the top of the pile like everyone else.

Nobody in my family has ever gone to college. Me and my cousin, who is my age, are the first.

But no, I don't think that having doctors for parents will give you any advantage or disadvantage.

Really? Having a single doctor should ensure you some kind of connection to make it easier to shadow and observe at least. I think, especially if they've gone through school in the U.S., they could at least act as a guide for knowing what classes are useful/useless to take and what's currently going on in healthcare. And even more so, you KNOW the lifestyle of a doctor because you live with them so you would know the reality of what is to come.

I agree with you that having parents who are immersed in medicine nearly every minute of every day can provide an insiders perspective on the process of becoming a doctor. Still, when it comes down to it, every premed has to put in the effort to get the grades and MCAT score and interview well, regardless of who their parents are. I think doctor's kids might have a leg up in a way, but they still have to scramble to get to the top of the pile like everyone else.

I agree with you there. We definitely still have to work hard to succeed. Nothing is given to us on a silver platter. It is important, though, to keep in mind just the number of opportunities you and I had that most applicants would only dream of. There is little doubt that having someone who loves dearly and would do just about anything for you have the connections to get you shadowing opportunities, point you in the right direction, etc. is an invaluable advantage.

Really? Having a single doctor should ensure you some kind of connection to make it easier to shadow and observe at least. I think, especially if they've gone through school in the U.S., they could at least act as a guide for knowing what classes are useful/useless to take and what's currently going on in healthcare. And even more so, you KNOW the lifestyle of a doctor because you live with them so you would know the reality of what is to come.

You don't really know what you're missing out on until you have it and, likewise, you don't really know what you have until you lose it!

my parents are doctors

I doubt most physicians simply pay their way for their kid's medical school. That's a lot of money for someone trying to think about retirement. I will be taking out in loans what I don't get in scholarship money, and my parent is a doctor..

I doubt most physicians simply pay their way for their kid's medical school. That's a lot of money for someone trying to think about retirement. I will be taking out in loans what I don't get in scholarship money, and my parent is a doctor..

my parents have been saving since before i was born for post-bacc. or at least that's what they tell me.

2 x MD here.

My father is in an intense specialty (surgery) and lives a terrible lifestyle, while my mom is in IM as a hospitalist and has a fairly relaxed schedule that allows her to spend time with us.

I think it's helpful because I'm able to see issues in health (and know many doctors to shadow), while also seeing how physician lifestyle can vary greatly. It's definitely helped me balance my concerns about family and personal life and a career in medicine. But I'm not sure it'll be all that helpful in the process (since my parents are FMGs it's not like I have legacy anywhere).

+1 My parents paid for the part of undergrad that wasn't paid with scholarship money (I got about half), but I've told them I'm footing the bill for medical school. It's loans for me just like everyone else.

+1 My parents paid for the part of undergrad that wasn't paid with scholarship money (I got about half), but I've told them I'm footing the bill for medical school. It's loans for me just like everyone else.

i just got into this argument with my mom actually.

i want to take loans out and do this myself. she is taking it as an insult, saying that she worked hard to save this money for this purpose and my refusal is rude.

i think it's a cultural thing. i remember vividly a couple years ago my grandmother thought she was dying. she started giving a lot of cash to us grandkids whenever we saw her. one time, when she wasn't looking, I put the money back in her purse. she called me about an hour later in tears, saying it was the meanest thing anyone had done to her in years.

i felt horrible. she doesn't have a lot, and I was trying to be nice. but she, as a much older person, couldn't believe that her grandkid would presume to decide what she should do with her money.

strange ****.

Luckily, my parents are okay with the choice, especially since they'd like to save for retirement. They also had debt and paid it off through loan repayment programs and other similar programs, and they assume I'll do the same.

I've mentally prepared myself for the debt, though a little rent money here and there would go a long way.

Do you think having a parent who is a physician is a plus or minus on your application?

Why worry about it? This is something out of your control -- you either have a doctor parent or you don't. There is enough to worry about in the application process.

I don't know man....being a legacy just might be better than being URM.

Oh no I didn't....oh god, here we go. :uhno:

Popcorn anyone?

:corny:

Dude that was awesome. I burst out laughing. I would definitely get some cheese to go with that popcorn! :uhno::slap::diebanana::beat::corny:

When I said "no advantage or disadvantage," I meant it in terms of admission. It's not as if an adcom will see than both of your parents are doctors and just let you into the school on the spot.

When I said "no advantage or disadvantage," I meant it in terms of admission. It's not as if an adcom will see than both of your parents are doctors and just let you into the school on the spot.

Nope, that only happens if you're URM AND have a dr for a parent... :eek:

Nope, that only happens if you're URM AND have a dr for a parent... :eek:

Ha. As an URM, I must agree. Clearly not for every school, BUT I know a few dumb ones with lows stats and unimpressive ECs, that were URMs with a Daddy MD that got in places they had no business at. :thumbdown:

Ha. As an URM, I must agree. Clearly not for every school, BUT I know a few dumb ones with lows stats and unimpressive ECs, that were URMs with a Daddy MD that got in places they had no business at. :thumbdown:

Oh boy, I better not tell people that I have doctors for parents lest they assume the same about me...

LOL....

For the record... I wasn't actually serious.
I qualify as URM and have an MD and a BSN for parents and I have no delusions about auto-admission on any such criteria...'though I have to admit I don't know that I'd entirely mind...:laugh: (J/K)

Hey Tim (The Enchanter), did you see my comment that I wrote on some School Specific Thread that you now have under your avatar ;)

Love that movie.

I'm the #10 physician in my family and the last until the next generation grows up. I didn't apply to any medical school where I might be considered anything close to a legacy. The most useful aspect of coming from a family of physicians was that I couldn't slack in medical school. Yeah, I'm the only one that was AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha).

offspring of a writer and a public interest lawyer. i'm the black sheep-- there has never been a doctor in my family.

Definitely a plus. My dad basically told me "get into med school, and I'll get you whatever residency you want." Plus I wont have any debt after residency, since my parents are paying for it in full.

My dad was in EM and my mom is a Nurse.

The woman tells me horror stories trying to con me out of medicine. : P