Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Doctors' Oath

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Tippyboat, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Tippyboat

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  2. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    "I will do my job and pay my taxes".

3. enjoydrywax

5+ Year Member

From what I know most schools don't take the oath seriously anymore and I think many of them don't even require you to "take oath" once you graduate.

I think it's largely a revered relic from medicines past that really doesn't hold much weight in modern day physicianship.

4. AZFutureDoc

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I believe some schools actually have students write their own as part of their white coat ceremony thing.

The Hippocratic oath (not the "doctors oath") actually condemns abortion and some other modern practices that are slipping my mind. So word for word, its not taken, but is THE document that gave birth to our entire profession, so it is revered.

5. Handyman73

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Many schools actually have you take an oath as part of a white coat ceremony long before you graduate.

And maybe it really is a shame that it doesn't "hold much weight" anymore...

6. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Gall stone removal :).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Bacchus

Staff Member Administrator Physician Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thats the historic oath, not Louis Lasagna's modern oath.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd say the original Hippocratic Oath is more widely used, but it's not like anyplace makes you individually sign or swear to it -- usually from what I've heard, the class as a group just stands up and reads it as part of a white coat ceremony or graduation. If you want to stay silent, that's cool -- it's not exactly an oath of public office or even the profession. It's an oath of how one ancient greek guy thought physicians as a profession ought to conduct themselves. There's some good stuff in there, and some outdated stuff. But all established professions have some sort of oath associated with it (law does, the judiciary does, even being president does) so I wouldn't look at it as a bad thing; it means that you are entering a professoin that stands for something more than the typical 9 to 5 job. Which I think most people going into medicine want.

9. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, but that's referring to another part of the oath. I'm talking about the part that says you can't cut stone, it's referring specfiically to gall stones.

Basically all of the prohibitions of the Hippocratic Oath were because it was risky or deemed to be a surgeons job, which was considered a trade not an art at the time.

10. ESzczesniak

ESzczesniak Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  11. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Dr. Edmund Pellegrino from Georgetown has been writing and speaking on this subject for many years. I heard him speak on the topic earlier this year. There are at least a half dozen different oaths in use at this time.

#11 LizzyM, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  12. teddybear

teddybear "Teddy"
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think it should be required.

13. URHere

Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    At our school's white coat ceremony, we read the Declaration of Geneva - short, sweet, simple.

14. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I vaguely recall something about swearing to Apollo...

15. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    we were given both versions to reference, then we wrote our own.

16. Dr Roboto

Dr Roboto Indentured Servant
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    And giving our mentors a portion of our salary

17. AZFutureDoc

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Touche mmmcdowe! Good ole history of medicine. Kinda sad that I forgot something that interesting!

And Hippocrates performed surgery himself! And pulled off some pretty audacious operations given what he knew and had to work with ~300 BC