Doctor's office asks $100 for shadowing fee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lallylally

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked to shadow a doctor (primary care), who is a friend of mine. She asked her HR department. The HR told her that I have to pay $100 to shadow her, and also fill out paperwork including medical records. Is this common? Or should I look for another doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

Paperwork is pretty standard (although a couple doctors didn't ask for it) but charging $100 is THEFT. That's absolute bs, I have never even heard of that

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Next, $1000 for a letter of reference. Anything can be bought.

Reactions: 2 users
Paperwork is pretty standard (although a couple doctors didn't ask for it) but charging $100 is THEFT. That's absolute bs, I have never even heard of that

I agree with this. I think you should find someone/somewhere else to shadow.

That doctor is feasting on desperate pre meds

Reactions: 3 users
I asked to shadow a doctor (primary care), who is a friend of mine. She asked her HR department. The HR told her that I have to pay $100 to shadow her, and also fill out paperwork including medical records. Is this common? Or should I look for another doctor.

I've shadowed plenty and never had anyone ask for $$$! In addition, I hope by "medical records" you mean at most immunizations. I shadowed in the OR and the most I needed was proof of a negative TB within 1 year and to watch a HIPAA video. HR dept. sounds like a bunch of clowns. I'd find someone else.

Reactions: 4 users
I’ve shadowed 4 doctors and only one of them I had to pay a $100 fee. Doctors aren’t easy to come by so unless if you have connections to other doctors and you know you can get other opportunities then maybe just pay the fee. Most of the time you don’t have to pay a shadowing fee.

Reactions: 1 user
Buy a sympathy card and address it to the HR department. Inside the card, write "So sorry you couldn't rob me. At least you can still go screw yourselves. XOXO, lallylally". Send it together with a bouquet of dead flowers and a box of chocolates. Make sure you eat half of each chocolate first. For extra credit, rub everything on a dead skunk before you send it.

Reactions: 30 users
I've shadowed plenty and never had anyone ask for $$$! In addition, I hope by "medical records" you mean at most immunizations. I shadowed in the OR and the most I needed was proof of a negative TB within 1 year and to watch a HIPAA video. HR dept. sounds like a bunch of clowns. I'd find someone else.

The one doctor I did have to pay a fee for needed ppd skin test and flu shot.

I’ve shadowed 4 doctors and only one of them I had to pay a $100 fee. Doctors aren’t easy to come by so unless if you have connections to other doctors and you know you can get other opportunities then maybe just pay the fee. Most of the time you don’t have to pay a shadowing fee.

Doctors aren't hard to come by. Plenty of them out there who will be more than happy to have a shadow. This shadowing fee Is probably a reflection of their practice. Find someone else, not hard to send some emails out.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The one doctor I did have to pay a fee for needed ppd skin test and flu shot.
If this happens to anyone else, see if you can get these things done for free or cheaper elsewhere (ex: county health department)

If this happens to anyone else, see if you can get these things done for free or cheaper elsewhere (ex: county health department)

To add to that, if the physician is connected to a hospital, you can most likely get it done for free through the volunteer department.

Seriously, don't pay this doctor so that you can do work in his office for him. There are a ton of physicians who would let you shadow for free.

One thing I did is go to the nearest ED to my university (They tend to see a lot of college students since a bunch of freshman get sent over when they drink) and so they understand the plight of the college student.

Ask either for their hospital's volunteer department or if you can shadow for a few days and they'll likely let you.

Paying is not the norm. Find another doctor. See if you have any family friends in the profession.

If this doctor is requiring you to pay clearly they have zero interest in teaching/mentoring a prospective medical student. Move on and find someone with a genuine interest in helping premeds. Shouldn't be too hard to do. All these doctors were in your shoes at one point

Reactions: 1 users
It's probably the hospital system charging for the paper pushers time. We don't do that but it likely isn't about the doc. $100? If I'm gonna ask for money, I'm going to make it worth it.

As for the post about "doing work in the office"...no you're not. You are taking up space and taking my time. My day is better without you. But I do it because the schools require it. And, at least you haven't reached the point where the 11th law applies.

Reactions: 6 users
I already had the flu shot done at a hospital that I volunteer at. The ppd test same thing. They said the $100 fee was for the shadowing application fee. It wasn’t the fact that I needed those things done. Honestly it’s just a money grab for them. The only reason why I did it is because I already knew the physician and really wanted to shadow him. OP if you have other opportunities then just pass.

The entitlement in this thread would be amusing if it weren't depressing.

Lets start with some basics.
#1 An HR department telling you that it will cost money to be credentialed to be in a hospital has nothing to do with a physicians interests, wants or desires. Trying to make a physician out as being somehow 'bad' because shadowing them has costs is asinine.
#2 Shadowing benefits the shadow. You are not doing work. You are not helping the physician. The student is getting access to experience. They are getting 'hours' for their application tick box.
#3 It costs money to do things, accepting shadows is no exception. The amount of red tape to have anyone in the clinical setting is substantial. There are also liability issues as well.

There are certainly physicians that will take on the costs of shadows, money, energy and time. But, they are a minuscule minority.

Reactions: 8 users
Doctors aren't hard to come by. Plenty of them out there who will be more than happy to have a shadow. This shadowing fee Is probably a reflection of their practice. Find someone else, not hard to send some emails out.

How many doctors have you shadowed? I’ve shadowed 4 now going on 5. All of them I got through connections though. Randomly asking doctors were all a no or some excuse like HIPAA laws. Same thing with friends and acquaintances of mine. I know 1 person who sent out emails like you said and they got 2 that said yes......after emailing 60.

The entitlement in this thread would be amusing if it weren't depressing.

Lets start with some basics.
#1 An HR department telling you that it will cost money to be credentialed to be in a hospital has nothing to do with a physicians interests, wants or desires. Trying to make a physician out as being somehow 'bad' because shadowing them has costs is asinine.
#2 Shadowing benefits the shadow. You are not doing work. You are not helping the physician. The student is getting access to experience. They are getting 'hours' for their application tick box.
#3 It costs money to do things, accepting shadows is no exception. The amount of red tape to have anyone in the clinical setting is substantial. There are also liability issues as well.

There are certainly physicians that will take on the costs of shadows, money, energy and time. But, they are a minuscule minority.

In my experience this is true. Not many are willing to have a shadow. And quite honestly it makes since. As a shadow they are accountable for you and you’re kinda in their way. I’m not one of those saying it’s a bad look on the physician. In fact the physician wasn’t even aware the department required a fee and was surprised. He even apologized. Lol

It really isn't that difficult. In two weeks I've found 4 that will allow me to shadow them. If only I had time at the moment... have to wait until summer.

Definitely do not pay. I have never heard of this nonsense before.

I was able to find great doctors to shadow by making cold calls, and I had about a 50% success rate. They actually thought it was awesome. This is much more impressive compared to asking mommy or daddy to find someone.

I would like to assume that most doctors have an internal drive and passion for the dissemination of knowledge and inspiring the next generation, but I see there are some exceptions to the rule

Are you shadowing in private practice?

How many doctors have you shadowed? I’ve shadowed 4 now going on 5. All of them I got through connections though. Randomly asking doctors were all a no or some excuse like HIPAA laws. Same thing with friends and acquaintances of mine. I know 1 person who sent out emails like you said and they got 2 that said yes......after emailing 60.

I shadowed/interned for 3 different physicians in Critical Care, Ortho and Urgent Care . I currently work in the ER and I see shadows time to time. All it really takes is one physician who can recommend his fellow colleagues.

It's probably the hospital system charging for the paper pushers time. We don't do that but it likely isn't about the doc. $100? If I'm gonna ask for money, I'm going to make it worth it.

As for the post about "doing work in the office"...no you're not. You are taking up space and taking my time. My day is better without you. But I do it because the schools require it. And, at least you haven't reached the point where the 11th law applies.

The doctor I shadowed longest had me do a bunch of his filing, answering calls, scheduling for him. He worked private practice and had 2 admins in per day and used the opportunity to give both of his admins some time off (only one at a time though). So that’s why I said do work in his office. I don’t know how most other shadowing experiences go, but that was mine.

Last edited:
It really isn't that difficult. In two weeks I've found 4 that will allow me to shadow them. If only I had time at the moment... have to wait until summer.

Did you go in person, call, or email them? Were they all random or through connections? I’ve shadowed 4 MDs now trying to find a DO.

The doctor I shadowed longest had me do a bunch of his filing, answering calls, scheduling for him. He worked private practice and had 2 admins in per day and used the opportunity to give both of his admins some time off (only one at a time though). So that’s why I said do work in his office. I don’t know how most other shadowing experiences go, but that was mine.

Yeah that really sucks. Out of the 4 doctors I shadowed only 1 had me do office work. I only followed the doctor around a couple hours out of the 30-40 hours I was there. The other doctors were great. I actually shadowed them and they explained everything they were doing as the day went on. Most doctors won’t have you be doing office work and they really shouldn’t be.

This was most likely hospital policy and not the doctor's fault. The doctor was following protocol to have a student shadow him/her. All hospital personnel, whether paid or volunteer, have to go through HIPAA training,immunizations, etc. It's a lot of paperwork and there is often a fee attached to such credentialing. At the medical center where I work, to shadow a surgeon into the OR, the patient has to give consent as well. I used to have premeds shadow me, and then I sent them to my colleagues in other specialties to broaden their experience. Then so many wanted to shadow, it became a burden to the hospital that the Administration stepped in and said no more shadowing allowed.

Did you go in person, call, or email them? Were they all random or through connections? I’ve shadowed 4 MDs now trying to find a DO.
In person. I collaborated with them at work, and said "say...I want to go to med school. Mind if I shadow?" and none had any objections.

The doctor probably made a fee to discourage people from emailing him. if I were a physician I would probably just explicitly state that I don't want desperate premed contacting me. but the 100$ might be another way to deter people.

The doctor probably made a fee to discourage people from emailing him. if I were a physician I would probably just explicitly state that I don't want desperate premed contacting me. but the 100$ might be another way to deter people.

Really...

You know how difficult it is for premeds to get in without shadowing hours and how difficult it is for premeds to get shadowing hours and you want to blanketly say no to anyone who’s just trying to learn?

You should really consider paying it forward because of the physicians who have helped/will help you when you were/will be the desperate premed sending them emails to get shadowing positions.

Wow, I have never heard of this. Is this even legal? I would shadow someplace else.

Paying $100 to shadow a doc sounds awfully sketchy. I'd pass on the whole thing.

If this idea takes off, you'll have docs making a nice living on just charging kids to shadow --- "Good morning, Mrs. Smith, do you mind if these 20 pre-meds observe our office visit today? I'm making $2000 cash off them today --- you know how expensive it is to run a medical practice these days!"

Oh please spare me the entitlement spiel. If you pay money for something that you can get for free just as easily, you’re not “less entitled”, you’re just a sucker.

Reactions: 4 users
^^^^

Hello OP, this fee is ridiculous. Neither of the physicians I shadowed would have even considered charging me to be there. I think this mentality is indicative of a physician who you wouldn't want to shadow anyways. I fumbled around trying to find physicians to shadow, and ended up finding 2 who really enjoy teaching, and for that I am truly thankful. I would ask around, friends and family and see if you can find some connection. That could be your best bet.

Lmao oh gosh. This is horrible. What a jerk doctor.