Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Doctor's Without Borders (II, secondary)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by MajorBubblez, 09.21.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. MajorBubblez

MajorBubblez

What do you guys think about discussing my desire to one day be involved in Doctor's Without Borders. I've mentioned it on a few secondaries, and have some interviews coming up so I'm not sure if I should discuss them. On one hand it's what I really want to do, but on the other, I know a lot of medical schools want to train doctors for 'their own background' and I'm worried they would frown on the idea?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lmn

lmn 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Have you worked/volunteered/fundraised/etc for these types of organizations in the past? If not I wouldn't believe a random premed saying something so cliche, especially when most only know the glamorous vision of the work and nothing about the true work/conditions.

freemontie and Mr Roboto like this.
  4. MajorBubblez

MajorBubblez

Good point. I've not volunteered or anything with it before so I guess it's best to avoid it.

5. wholeheartedly

wholeheartedly SDN Administrator 7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you've already mentioned it in secondaries, it might come up anyway.

In that case you had better have done your homework. A lot of people talk big about joining that group, but don't have any clue about it. It's hard to take those people seriously. So know your stuff and be able to give a well thought out answer to why you want to work with that group.

kevinsword91 likes this.
  6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Lifetime Donor SDN Chief Administrator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    hSDN
    Its pretty cliched.

ridethecliche likes this.

About the ads