DoD no longer accepting fee reduced licenses.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MirrorTodd

It's a gas.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from my pd today stating that DoD will no longer be accepting any reduced fee type of state physician license. If you already have the Nebraska license then you have to pay for it now. Will follow up with actual reg once I get word of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, make them produce a reg. I call BS until they do. This has come up before, and so far it’s always been some BS that some jerk in credentialing made up because he misunderstood what “unrestricted” license means.

Members don't see this ad :)
The dumb things about this is that NE isn’t the only CME-exempt state. Indiana was CME exempt for everyone. Had nothing to do with a military license, which so far as I know they never offered. So, in typical military fashion they are either not paying attention to anything that’s not immediately within their field of view (like a big T-Rex), or they’re ok with not requiring CME as long as they don’t require it from civilians (which is just dumb). Plus, all the MTFs I ever worked at had their own CME requirements which were usually more strict than the state boards.

The dumb things about this is that NE isn’t the only CME-exempt state. Indiana was CME exempt for everyone. Had nothing to do with a military license, which so far as I know they never offered. So, in typical military fashion they are either not paying attention to anything that’s not immediately within their field of view (like a big T-Rex), or they’re ok with not requiring CME as long as they don’t require it from civilians (which is just dumb). Plus, all the MTFs I ever worked at had their own CME requirements which were usually more strict than the state boards.

It is just another example of bureaucracy at its finest.

Yeah I know in the VA I am held to an even higher standard for CME than my state licensure and professional boards require.

Update on this: apparently Nebraska is now changing their military granted license to indicate that it is fee AND ce exempt which is not in concordance with dod licensing policy. The latest email we have gotten states that according to DOD policy, we must have a license from a state that requires “proof of minimal licensing standards of their own board (specifically proof of continuing education requirements). As of 01 Oct, NE license that states active-military will no longer be accepted.

Now I can’t find any dod policy stating that the license has to be from a state hat requires proof of Ce, but it looks like at this point, we’re SOL.

Update on this: apparently Nebraska is now changing their military granted license to indicate that it is fee AND ce exempt which is not in concordance with dod licensing policy. The latest email we have gotten states that according to DOD policy, we must have a license from a state that requires “proof of minimal licensing standards of their own board (specifically proof of continuing education requirements). As of 01 Oct, NE license that states active-military will no longer be accepted.

Now I can’t find any dod policy stating that the license has to be from a state hat requires proof of Ce, but it looks like at this point, we’re SOL.

It doesn't have anything to do with reduced fees. It has to do with the requirement for CME. Here is the article from MCCareer.org on the matter:

Potential Problems if You’re Licensed to Practice Medicine in Nebraska

The appropriate reference is BUMEDINST 6010.30. See Enclosure (7).

If you look just a few messages up you will find your answer.