Doea it really matter where i go? Should i move?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleekCLS

Aha!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would like your opinion on this.

I am finishing up my first 2 years of school this coming summer of 2008.

For my last 2 years to obtain my bachelors, should i stay in chicago and go to UIC? U of I Urbana?

But the real question is, and me moving depends on this, does it matter which university i obtain my bachelors from? Does it matter which Medical school a go to in the states? should i just stick around and go to UIC medical school or move somewhere else?

Thanks for all your help, because wherever i go to get my bachelors i was thinking id go to medical school there to. so please let me know!

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

For my last 2 years to obtain my bachelors, should i stay in chicago and go to UIC? U of I Urbana?

But the real question is, and me moving depends on this, does it matter which university i obtain my bachelors from? Does it matter which Medical school a go to in the states? should i just stick around and go to UIC medical school or move somewhere else?

Thanks for all your help, because wherever i go to get my bachelors i was thinking id go to medical school there to. so please let me know!

Thank you

Undergraduate schools have just become diploma mills. If you have no legit reason for moving, then just get the heck done with school and move on with life.

Undergraduate schools have just become diploma mills. If you have no legit reason for moving, then just get the heck done with school and move on with life.

i am actually in Harper college, which is a community college, so you say just go to UIC finish, and then go to UIC for medical school as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
uhhh it doesn't really matter but between a community college and a 4yr university, i'd make the move.

so you say just go to UIC finish, and then go to UIC for medical school as well?

Don't make an assumption that the medical school affiliated with your undergraduate institution is going to accept you. You will need to apply widely to increase the odds of an acceptance anywhere. And if you really want to be a doctor, you will go wherever they are willing to take you.

Both your suggested undergrad schools are affiliated with the same medical school, namely UIC's College of Medicine. It has a branch campus at UIUC, but that is mainly for MD/PhD students. If you are accepted to their med school, you could also be assigned to the Rockford or Peoria campus. A Chicago assignment is not guaranteed.

There is no reason for you to move from Chicago at this time. UIUC is more selective about accepting undergrads than UIC Chicago campus, but if you get mostly As, have good volunteering and medical exposure, research, leadership, and great letters of recommendation, along with an MCAT of 30 or more, you will have a reasonable chance of acceptance at the medical school regardless. But don't make foolish assumptions that you will be admitted. Read these forums and see the large number of individuals with great applications that did not get in anywhere. Be sure your application is the best it can be before you apply.

It doesn't matter which allopathic medical school you go to in the states. They all require that you pass the same exams to qualify for a license. If the perceived prestige of a given institution appeals to you, you might choose to go there if you have a choice, but you will still have the same MD after your name upon graduating.

Hello everyone,

Thank you

My reaction to your post is remembering my mother's reaction to anybody who went to Illinois at Chicago (she went to Illinois at Champagne-Urbana) is to snort and say, "That's not a real school."

But she's a snob. Go where it is easiest to go, but don't assume that any place is going to accept you into their medical school simply because your UG school is affiliated. Plus Chicago's much more interesting than the rest of the state. :p

(jk, please don't get riled up over that comment)