1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Does a 1 page LOR spell doom!!??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Deuteronomy, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Deuteronomy

Deuteronomy Member
    7+ Year Member

I finally got someone to write the non-science letter for me. I was having a difficult time with only this letter.

The author mentioned that he would write a "strong" letter for me, but when talking to a representative at my career center, they informed me that they received the "single page" letter.

Does a 1 page letter necessarily translate into a weak letter?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. coldchemist

coldchemist Biowulf
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I'm having difficulty understanding why you are worried about a letter that is only one page. There is certainly nothing intrinsically wrong with a letter that is one page. Remember the saying "less is more?"

4. No, its normal. Two pages might annoy the adcomms too.

5. YoungFaithful

YoungFaithful Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You are flipping out. If you think that's a big deal, the applicatoin process is going to be hell for you...

Just some helpful advice. Good luck!

6. evenstar

evenstar sausage monkey
    7+ Year Member

don't sweat it...most likely, when you called to check the status of the LOR, the career center specified that it was a single page just to confirm that they received the correct letter. i'm pretty sure most if not all of my letters were one pagers only. now if a particular school's adcom was making a fuss over the letter being a single page, you should probably talk to them, but don't worry about what the career center says--they're just compiling your letters for you, not analyzing them...there's no inherent contradiction between a "strong" letter and a "single page" letter. :)

7. sgilani

sgilani Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

8. Deuteronomy

Deuteronomy Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the responses thus far. Some schools and advisors have noted that 2 to 3 pages is what adcom's expect which is why I am probably overexaggerating

:)

9. WatchingWaiting

7+ Year Member

It's possible there was some weakness in the letter and your career center was notifying you that maybe the letter wasn't as strong as you think without saying this directly. However, most letters of rec are, in fact, one page. Unless the person knows you very well or is very verbose, it is entirely possible to recommend you strongly, describe how bright and motivated, empathetic and personable you are with two or three paragraphs.

10. lyragrl

lyragrl Mold-a-rama fan
    7+ Year Member

You are totally screwed.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. canada

canada Member
    7+ Year Member

i think most LORs are only one page long anyways.

12. G0S2

G0S2 SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    One page and to the point will sit well with ADCOM's.

13. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i was told by my advisor that some of my letters were "worthless" and I shud go and seek out more good ones

14. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

I hate to say this, son, but you were:

[​IMG]

15. Deuteronomy

Deuteronomy Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks again you all for the input. It looks like we have two types of responses; responses where folks are helpful, and then it seems that we have the responders who are somewhat "irritated" by this thread. You see, the thing is I have set incredibly high standards for myself and my future objectives and I should've realized that there are some SDNers who are more sensitive to high achievers in light of their own predicament. That's my Bad!!

But it's all good guys!!

Thanks for the relevant responses and best of luck to the others in their - I'm sure - fruitful aspirations and endeavors.

:laugh: :p

16. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

See any similarities?

17. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hm, maybe it is a weak letter. one page LORs are the standard.

18. Megalofyia

Megalofyia 425 lbs and growing
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The reality is that if you have good grades and good MCAT, extracurricular activities and such your letters of rec are really pointless, unless they say you are trash or something like that. From what I understand most basic letter from just people like regular profs and the such don't come close to making or breaking an application. Now if this person is like the president of the medical school or surgeon general or something that would be different. I wouldn't worry about the length of this letter.

19. SJBX

SJBX Member
    7+ Year Member

One page? That's horrible. No one has ever got into med school with a letter that short. Also, ask yourself:

Is your GPA greater than 3.8?

Is your MCAT greater than 35?

Did you get published in "Nature"?

Did you volunteer at Mass. Gen., Mayo, Brigham, or Hopkins?

Did you letter in 5 NCAA DI sports, member of 17 campus organizations, including the College Republicans AND Democrats, and start 3 organizations, one of which is now an official UN program?

Did you go to an Ivy League school, as opposed to State U?

If the answer is "No" to any of these questions, I don't think you have met the high expectations you set for yourself. Don't even think about applying.

20. edfig99

Physician Faculty 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    the length of the letter really doesn't matter as much as the content does. as long as it's someone that knows you well (and as long as they offered to write a strong letter) then it's really no big deal.

21. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

Yes. A 1 page letter of rec is basically useless. All my letters of rec were close to 10 pages each. If you can't get someone to write more than a mere page recommending you, you're in big trouble. I hope your GPA is at least a 3.95 or else you're never going to get in.

22. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Actually, I don't think that concern is so irrational. When I did research at Washington U, my letter-writer (PI) had experience on the adcom. She told me that the strongest letters went into two pages, and she made sure that the letter she wrote for me did this. I don't know if it is some secret code, or what, but it's true.

23. Thundrstorm

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The length of the letter is not important. The question is what ink color the LOR writer used. Was it ... :wow: ... hunter green?!

;) I'm sure it's fine.

24. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

Get a sense of humor (among other things I'm sure you lack.)

25. tugbug

tugbug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Of the letters written for me, all but one were a single page. I can't imagine it is a big deal. If it makes you feel any better - and this is no joke - one of my letters was HAND WRITTEN. Im not sure which professor couldnt take the time to type a half a page... but I got a big lump in my stomach (and then a good laugh) when my interviewer was staring at it and trying to make out the writing. I was accepted anyway... so, dont worry about it.

26. scota

scota Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You guys don't have to be jerks! Just answer the question :p.

27. lyragrl

lyragrl Mold-a-rama fan
    7+ Year Member

Hear that Coops? You're frustrated! It must be because you didn't get any acceptances. You, too, Alexander. :)

28. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have seen most of my LORs because of kind professors, and my best one was about a page.

29. Hey JohnHolmes, you're my hero.

30. You're next lawestside.

31. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

I know. I've been frustrated ever since I got rejected by Harvard. I still thought my 10 page letters of rec would have made a difference. . .:mad:

32. :laugh: :laugh:

You can decline UCSD and reapply to Harvard next year. Um, you'll need more than one 10 page letter mofo... Don't fool yourself.

33. TheFlash

TheFlash Playtime Is Over
    10+ Year Member

Do you realize what you've done?!?!?! Your chances of getting in are completely shot!! No interviews, no nothing. Throw in the towel. It's ovAR!!!!!!11111111111111

34. Jubester3

Jubester3 Junior Member

One of my recommendations was 12 lines...and 5 of those lines were the address of the medical school and 1 of those lines was salutation. But I was accepted so it doesn't matter. Then again, I got rejected at a bunch of places also.

35. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Give up man ;)

36. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Absolutely not. One of my strongest letter ever was about 3/4 of a page long. Good writers will write concise and effective letters. Influential writers can write 1/2 page and still boost your application.

I wouldn't worry too much.

37. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    a page typed is the standard...and some of the forms that some undergrad schools provide for the professors to type/write on provide less than a full page of space.

so yeah it doesnt matter. regardless of what expectations you set for yourself, you cant do anything to change what these writers feel about you. if they put something negative down, then oh well...you must have rubbed them the wrong way. if not, i am sure they are letters that range from normal to pretty good.