Does a 1 page LOR spell doom!!??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deuteronomy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally got someone to write the non-science letter for me. I was having a difficult time with only this letter.

The author mentioned that he would write a "strong" letter for me, but when talking to a representative at my career center, they informed me that they received the "single page" letter.

Does a 1 page letter necessarily translate into a weak letter?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having difficulty understanding why you are worried about a letter that is only one page. There is certainly nothing intrinsically wrong with a letter that is one page. Remember the saying "less is more?"

Originally posted by Deuteronomy
I finally got someone to write the non-science letter for me. I was having a difficult time with only this letter.

The author mentioned that he would write a "strong" letter for me, but when talking to a representative at my career center, they informed me that they received the "single page" letter.

I proceeded to ask them foolishly (after I swallowed once) what did they meant by a single page letter, and they said it means it was a 1 page letter!! Duh!! What can I say, I asked the question out of total shock!!

Does a 1 page letter necessarily translate into a weak letter? Please help alleviate the pain!!!

No, its normal. Two pages might annoy the adcomms too.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are flipping out. If you think that's a big deal, the applicatoin process is going to be hell for you...

Just some helpful advice. Good luck!

don't sweat it...most likely, when you called to check the status of the LOR, the career center specified that it was a single page just to confirm that they received the correct letter. i'm pretty sure most if not all of my letters were one pagers only. now if a particular school's adcom was making a fuss over the letter being a single page, you should probably talk to them, but don't worry about what the career center says--they're just compiling your letters for you, not analyzing them...there's no inherent contradiction between a "strong" letter and a "single page" letter. :)

don't sweat it...most likely, when you called to check the status of the LOR, the career center specified that it was a single page just to confirm that they received the correct letter. i'm pretty sure most if not all of my letters were one pagers only. now if a particular school's adcom was making a fuss over the letter being a single page, you should probably talk to them, but don't worry about what the career center says--they're just compiling your letters for you, not analyzing them...there's no inherent contradiction between a "strong" letter and a "single page" letter.

Thanks for the responses thus far. Some schools and advisors have noted that 2 to 3 pages is what adcom's expect which is why I am probably overexaggerating

:)

It's possible there was some weakness in the letter and your career center was notifying you that maybe the letter wasn't as strong as you think without saying this directly. However, most letters of rec are, in fact, one page. Unless the person knows you very well or is very verbose, it is entirely possible to recommend you strongly, describe how bright and motivated, empathetic and personable you are with two or three paragraphs.

You are totally screwed.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i think most LORs are only one page long anyways.

i was told by my advisor that some of my letters were "worthless" and I shud go and seek out more good ones

I hate to say this, son, but you were:

alcaponed.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again you all for the input. It looks like we have two types of responses; responses where folks are helpful, and then it seems that we have the responders who are somewhat "irritated" by this thread. You see, the thing is I have set incredibly high standards for myself and my future objectives and I should've realized that there are some SDNers who are more sensitive to high achievers in light of their own predicament. That's my Bad!!

But it's all good guys!!

Thanks for the relevant responses and best of luck to the others in their - I'm sure - fruitful aspirations and endeavors.

:laugh: :p

... and then it seems that we have the responders who are somewhat "irritated" by this thread. You see, the thing is I have set incredibly high standards for myself and my future objectives and I should've realized that there are some SDNers who are more sensitive to high achievers in light of their own predicament.

See any similarities?

Originally posted by Squat N Squeeze

Yes, these schools were all ranked within the top 15 research institutions by US News. I am aware of that. But I will only settle for the best. I refuse to attend an inferior medical school, or osteopathic school. Anything out of the top 20 is below me. I think I have an excellent shot of gaining admission to many of the schools that I have applied to. My stats are STELLAR, and I believe that these schools know an excellent applicant when they see one. Honestly, I believe that by this winter I will be deciding between ten excellent institutions.

Originally posted by WatchingWaiting
It's possible there was some weakness in the letter and your career center was notifying you that maybe the letter wasn't as strong as you think without saying this directly. However, most letters of rec are, in fact, one page. Unless the person knows you very well or is very verbose, it is entirely possible to recommend you strongly, describe how bright and motivated, empathetic and personable you are with two or three paragraphs.

hm, maybe it is a weak letter. one page LORs are the standard.

The reality is that if you have good grades and good MCAT, extracurricular activities and such your letters of rec are really pointless, unless they say you are trash or something like that. From what I understand most basic letter from just people like regular profs and the such don't come close to making or breaking an application. Now if this person is like the president of the medical school or surgeon general or something that would be different. I wouldn't worry about the length of this letter.

One page? That's horrible. No one has ever got into med school with a letter that short. Also, ask yourself:

Is your GPA greater than 3.8?

Is your MCAT greater than 35?

Did you get published in "Nature"?

Did you volunteer at Mass. Gen., Mayo, Brigham, or Hopkins?

Did you letter in 5 NCAA DI sports, member of 17 campus organizations, including the College Republicans AND Democrats, and start 3 organizations, one of which is now an official UN program?

Did you go to an Ivy League school, as opposed to State U?

If the answer is "No" to any of these questions, I don't think you have met the high expectations you set for yourself. Don't even think about applying.

the length of the letter really doesn't matter as much as the content does. as long as it's someone that knows you well (and as long as they offered to write a strong letter) then it's really no big deal.

Yes. A 1 page letter of rec is basically useless. All my letters of rec were close to 10 pages each. If you can't get someone to write more than a mere page recommending you, you're in big trouble. I hope your GPA is at least a 3.95 or else you're never going to get in.

Actually, I don't think that concern is so irrational. When I did research at Washington U, my letter-writer (PI) had experience on the adcom. She told me that the strongest letters went into two pages, and she made sure that the letter she wrote for me did this. I don't know if it is some secret code, or what, but it's true.

The length of the letter is not important. The question is what ink color the LOR writer used. Was it ... :wow: ... hunter green?!

;) I'm sure it's fine.

Originally posted by lawestside
hey original poster, welcome to the world of pre-med.

You're right on in your initial assumption. There are plenty of disgruntled as*wipes like johnholmes & Alexander99 who are basically so frustrated with the process that they resort to personal attacks on inquiries like yours intended for mere clarification rather than inducing antagonism.

Don't take anything on this board personally. Just remember that most of these people are going thru or have completed the rigorous process and they will not tolerate people that made their nightmare possible.

Good luck to you and God bless.

Get a sense of humor (among other things I'm sure you lack.)

Of the letters written for me, all but one were a single page. I can't imagine it is a big deal. If it makes you feel any better - and this is no joke - one of my letters was HAND WRITTEN. Im not sure which professor couldnt take the time to type a half a page... but I got a big lump in my stomach (and then a good laugh) when my interviewer was staring at it and trying to make out the writing. I was accepted anyway... so, dont worry about it.

You guys don't have to be jerks! Just answer the question :p.

You're right on in your initial assumption. There are plenty of disgruntled as*wipes like johnholmes & Alexander99 who are basically so frustrated with the process that they resort to personal attacks on inquiries like yours intended for mere clarification rather than inducing antagonism.

Hear that Coops? You're frustrated! It must be because you didn't get any acceptances. You, too, Alexander. :)

hey original poster, welcome to the world of pre-med.

Don't take anything on this board personally. Just remember that most of these people are going thru or have completed the rigorous process and they will not tolerate people that made their nightmare possible.

Good luck to you and God bless.

You're next lawestside.

Originally posted by lyragrl
Hear that Coops? You're frustrated! It must be because you didn't get any acceptances. You, too, Alexander. :)

I know. I've been frustrated ever since I got rejected by Harvard. I still thought my 10 page letters of rec would have made a difference. . .:mad:

Originally posted by Alexander99
I know. I've been frustrated ever since I got rejected by Harvard. I still thought my 10 page letters of rec would have made a difference. . .:mad:

:laugh: :laugh:

You can decline UCSD and reapply to Harvard next year. Um, you'll need more than one 10 page letter mofo... Don't fool yourself.

Do you realize what you've done?!?!?! Your chances of getting in are completely shot!! No interviews, no nothing. Throw in the towel. It's ovAR!!!!!!11111111111111

One of my recommendations was 12 lines...and 5 of those lines were the address of the medical school and 1 of those lines was salutation. But I was accepted so it doesn't matter. Then again, I got rejected at a bunch of places also.

Deuteronomy said:

Absolutely not. One of my strongest letter ever was about 3/4 of a page long. Good writers will write concise and effective letters. Influential writers can write 1/2 page and still boost your application.

I wouldn't worry too much.

a page typed is the standard...and some of the forms that some undergrad schools provide for the professors to type/write on provide less than a full page of space.

so yeah it doesnt matter. regardless of what expectations you set for yourself, you cant do anything to change what these writers feel about you. if they put something negative down, then oh well...you must have rubbed them the wrong way. if not, i am sure they are letters that range from normal to pretty good.