Does a 9 on an mcat section matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockydoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious what people think about the significance of having a sub-10 score on any one of your mcat sections when your overall score is still above 30? I hear alot about the importance of getting tens or higher on all sections, but wasnt sure if this is really true or not.

Members don't see this ad.

I was curious what people think about the significance of having a sub-10 score on any one of your mcat sections when your overall score is still above 30? I hear alot about the importance of getting tens or higher on all sections, but wasnt sure if this is really true or not.

Dude...you got a 4.0 and above a 30 on the MCAT. I wouldn't worry too much about a 9 on your MCAT. I promise if and when you get an interview you won't get grilled on scoring a 9 on one of the sections.

I also got a 9 on one of the sections (VR). I'm not thrilled with it, but there's nothing that can be done, and I'm not going to retake the test... so.. hopefully nobody asks about it :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got a 9 on one of the sections (VR). I'm not thrilled with it, but there's nothing that can be done, and I'm not going to retake the test... so.. hopefully nobody asks about it :oops:

I'm sure the 15 in biological science has nothing to do with that decision ;)

thanks for the encourgement....i am way too paranoid about some things...i just constantly run my app. strength in my head and that 9 always bugs me...

I'm sure the 15 in biological science has nothing to do with that decision ;)

I was honestly bummed about the 9 and I was thinking "Aaah, my score's so unbalanced! Should I retake it?"

Then, the premed advisors at my school talked some sense into me. "It would demonstrate very very poor judgment to retake it..."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I had the same concern this past cycle when I was applying as well. I got an 8 on my verbal section with a 30+ overall. I had some say an 8 was too low and I must retake, while others let me know that it will be fine. I decided against retaking and did fine. I applied to about 15 schools and rec'd interviews at about 10 of them, including all the UC's and a top school in NY. My verbal score did come up in one interview but the interviewer was not grilling me in a any way. I ended this cycle with 4 acceptances and 2 waitlist. Regardless I am very happy with the outcome and do not regret at all not retaking!

If you feel the rest of your application is strong, do not let a score of 9 make you feel you will not be able to hold your own against other applicants.

thanks for the encourgement....i am way too paranoid about some things...i just constantly run my app. strength in my head and that 9 always bugs me...

Yea, when I think about the weaknesses in my application...

No publications, despite a lot of research...
Practically no experiences that are not related to science and medicine...
...and that stupid 9 in VR :(

I know how you feel, but hopefully it won't matter in the end :)

I was honestly bummed about the 9 and I was thinking "Aaah, my score's so unbalanced! Should I retake it?"

Then, the premed advisors at my school talked some sense into me. "It would demonstrate very very poor judgment to retake it..."

Well you can always aim for a 16 on the Biological Science section next time ;)

no pub and lots o research? Sounds like someone did basic science instead of clinical research ;)

High science score and background but low verbal and other EC? what are you, a first generation asian immigrant? jk:D

no pub and lots o research? Sounds like someone did basic science instead of clinical research ;)

Yup, basically. :D
I'm doing clinical research now, because I realized I actually enjoy that much more. Lots of promising projects going on throughout this upcoming year, so hopefully something pans out eventually.

High science score and background but low verbal and other EC? what are you, a first generation asian immigrant? jk:D

:laugh: So true...

You're fine. If you got a 2 and two 14's, that would be different.

I've spoken with many (15 or so) schools' admissions offices, have asked that specific question due to my circumstances, and only one (public school in the midwest) said that they require 10 or higher for each section to interview OOS candidates.

One other school said they require 32 or higher to interview OOS candidates, also a public school.

Every other school would have no problem with a 9, overall you're in great shape! A handful of schools had hard cutoffs for 8 or below for any section, for a few schools it was 7 or below.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think a 9 is a deal breaker if you have a high GPA and a good overall MCAT score.

i got a 9 on VR and busted my ass to write great secondary essays so adcoms would know that i'm more capable than my score indicates.

I'm also slightly worried. I definitely don't have a 4.0 but scored a 9 on the PS (9-11-11). And I know that the PS score is very important :( But I got A's and A+'s in my physical chemistry courses, took grad level pchem courses, and am working on an independent project in a chem research lab. Would this make up for anything? I'm really not bad at chemistry! Physics, maybe, but this was a bad MCAT day for me, gah :(

I have two 9's (and a 10) and will be applying this cycle! Two nines is a charm...isnt that how the sang goes?? :laugh:

A nine is not a killer--if you look at the MSAR, it shows that even top ten schools are taking some 8s.

Seven is the real killer. Probably like 50% of schools in the book did not admit anyone with a 7 in one section in 2007.

Good question, from my conversations with a couple people who have been on admission committees, a 9 will definitely not keep you out of med school as long as the overall score is good.

Good question, from my conversations with a couple people who have been on admission committees, a 9 will definitely not keep you out of med school as long as the overall score is good.

neither will an 8 if it's in VR

I'm also slightly worried. I definitely don't have a 4.0 but scored a 9 on the PS (9-11-11). And I know that the PS score is very important :( But I got A's and A+'s in my physical chemistry courses, took grad level pchem courses, and am working on an independent project in a chem research lab. Would this make up for anything? I'm really not bad at chemistry! Physics, maybe, but this was a bad MCAT day for me, gah :(

PS is not "very important." It's arguably the least important section. I got a 9-10-12, and my advisor told me my 9 in PS wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Yup, basically. :D
I'm doing clinical research now, because I realized I actually enjoy that much more. Lots of promising projects going on throughout this upcoming year, so hopefully something pans out eventually.

:laugh: So true...

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you're more qualified than most applicants and you're an early applicant. There is not only a single flaw in your application, but you're well ahead of the game.

Nope, a 9 is fine. I got a 9 on BS section and was offered interviews at plenty of prestigious schools.

Haha... I actually had a very similar discussion with my advisors. Except it was an, I did better on the practice tests and should have studied more... I should retake it.

They then proceeded to look at me as if another head had just sprouted out of the side of my neck and said that there is almost zero probability that I would dramatically improve my score. So no crazed re-take for me either.

You never know where a retake could go. I dropped from an S to an N for the writing sample! Somehow, I don't think that in those two months I forgot how to write or follow directions...

I had almost your exact MCAT score (shuffle the scores to different sections).

Most places I interviewed considered my MCAT a strength of my application. I don't recall if I was asked about my 9, but I wouldn't consider a it particularly weak score.

Don't sweat it.

I had an 8 on PS and still got into 3 schools so dont worry about it.