Does accompanying a patient count as observation hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ammonihah99

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My father was hospitalized for severe vertigo last month and it was mostly cleared up with use of the Epley Maneuver, but there are still some lingering issues. We have been going back to the hospital for outpatient treatment and I have been accompanying him. I didn't even think about it until my dad asked me—could this count toward observation hours? I know that it doesn't if you are a patient, but what if you are accompanying a patient?
 
No, it does not. Your observation hours need to be under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist.
 
The treatment is being provided by a licensed physical therapist. It's weird, it feels just like all my other observation hours, only I know the patient. We've talked and she knows I'm a PT hopeful.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why not ask if you can shadow her with other patients? Since you already have that connection, it shouldn't be a big problem to get more hours with her as long as she knows that you plan on asking her to confirm your hours later on.
 
Well the thing is I am spread kind of thin right now. I am observing at 3 different places, plus school, plus family responsibilities, plus work. I just thought maybe I could add three or four hours. I'm not looking for anything long term.
 
Just ask the PT if she could verify that as your observation hours. Maybe she will!🙂