Does an interview mean you have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbm94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to 5 MD schools this year and gotten two interview invites. I had one interview in December and am on "hold" and have another interview next week. I guess basically my question is, does an interview mean they are actually considering you for acceptance? I have a 3.7 GPA with a strong upward trend, lots of ECs, a year's worth of research experience related to the health field, and over 1200 hours of shadowing with my job. The downside is my MCAT is horrible. I took it 3 times last year with a 501 being my highest score (the last time I took it). Is it wrong for me to have some sort of hope since I'm receiving interview invites? I am torn because I don't want to get my hopes up, but I feel as though the schools wouldn't waste their time interviewing me if I wasn't going to have a shot at it.

*Side Note* One of the schools I applied to is the school I'm actually doing research at now, and my director (who is also on the admissions committee) wrote me a letter of recommendation, so I almost feel as though the committee felt obligated to interview me since they know him :(

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you only apply to 5 schools...

Reactions: 1 user
Why did you only apply to 5 schools...
Pretty much because my MCAT score was so low, I wouldn't be competitive at out of state schools and didn't want to waste money applying to them. I would prefer to go in state, but obviously would go anywhere that would take me, but it seems as though out of state is even more competitive. I figured if I didn't get in anywhere in my own state, I didn't really have a chance out of state.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are receiving an interview invite it means the school at least wants to consider your application further. It is important to treat all interviews seriously regardless if they're at the beginning or end of the season and to not psyche yourself out for it. Good luck at your interview and put your best foot forward because that's all you can ask/expect.

Reactions: 1 users
No, they only invite you because med schools hold stock in the airlines, and so want to raise their portfolios, while simultaneously wasting your money and time on travelling when you have no chance whatsoever.

I have applied to 5 MD schools this year and gotten two interview invites. I had one interview in December and am on "hold" and have another interview next week. I guess basically my question is, does an interview mean they are actually considering you for acceptance? I have a 3.7 GPA with a strong upward trend, lots of ECs, a year's worth of research experience related to the health field, and over 1200 hours of shadowing with my job. The downside is my MCAT is horrible. I took it 3 times last year with a 501 being my highest score (the last time I took it). Is it wrong for me to have some sort of hope since I'm receiving interview invites? I am torn because I don't want to get my hopes up, but I feel as though the schools wouldn't waste their time interviewing me if I wasn't going to have a shot at it.

*Side Note* One of the schools I applied to is the school I'm actually doing research at now, and my director (who is also on the admissions committee) wrote me a letter of recommendation, so I almost feel as though the committee felt obligated to interview me since they know him :(

Reactions: 2 users
No, they only invite you because med schools hold stock in the airlines, and so want to raise their portfolios, while simultaneously wasting your money and time on travelling when you have no chance whatsoever.
Goro, you forgot to use the sarcasm font. ;)

Reactions: 1 user