Does anybody have the number of a good psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BlackPuma

NO like i am real serious...

I have had so many things go wrong in my life....but this AMCAS thing, has really REALLY pushed me over the edge...I turn in my secondaries on time, only to learn that schools won't review it until amcas gets their butt rolling! They haven't even entered my mcat scores in!!!!

I really really need to see a psychitarist otherwise I will break down....gosh, I am soooo stressed out. I try speaking to my friends about this (none are premeds) and it is like talking to wall. They don't understand a bit....THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING....IS THIS HOW IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN....I knew I should have gone and pursued a Phd......it is 5:00 in the morning...couldnt get any sleep last night because I was worrying...I sent my amcas copy to u of washington, only to learn they dont accept new york residents........feel free to call me STUP ED......oh man...so so so tired :(

so much for the essay saving ur butt ****.....schools are now cutting off applicants by looking at numbers...

Members don't see this ad.

WatchaMaCallit,
You need to take a deep breath first...and relax. Just remember that there are thousands of premeds out there just as frustrated as you are and that you're not alone in this thing. In the mean time, I think you should take a break from this whole application process...go out and have fun...get drunk, live life. Don't let these AMCAS people get to you and push you over the edge. If you want to vent with me, feel free to use AIM to contact me, my screenname is listed on my profile.
:D

Watchamacllit

If you are at school for the fall semester, today would be a good time to go to student health or the academic counselimg center. They may have already heard all of this AMCAS stuff already...or if you are the first, believe me, you won't be the last. This is outrageously stressful on top of all the other pressures of life. Go today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear you are so upset. Really it will be ok. You will get to a point where it no longer affects you.

I submitted 7 weeks ago and nothing has been done to my application. I look for the positives... Like my MCAT scores are still listed on it and all my secondaries are still there. I guess not being processed has its advantages. I just said nuts to AMCAS and mailed all my applications (7 schools).

Life is too short to worry about AMCAS. I would call your top schools and ask them if they have gotten other appl and just not yours. If they don't have anyone elses, then I wouldn't worry, you are in the same boat as everyone and there is nothing you can do. We all feel your pain and frustration and I am sorry you are going through this.

It can only get better. Good luck.

Amy

(S.S. Titanic = S.S. AMCAS
the two most famous nonsinkable, undestructable forces that both sunk on their maiden voyage.)

Watcha--many of us are very stressed about the AMCAS issue. Yes, maybe a few schools will decide based more on numbers, but the vast majority have said that they will look at everyone in detail, as they've done before--it'll just take longer this year. So don't worry about that aspect.

You can see this forum as a large support group. we are all premed and understand what you're talking about.

Since you mention many things going wrong in your live, I think you may have some unresolved problems which get stirred during times of stress. I think right now is the perfect time to address those concerns. I don't know your situation, but if you attended school Spring or Summer, you should be entitled to the services of your school's health center. Once talking to the therapist you can ask him/her if they can recommend a good psychiatrist outside school.

I agree with Bruin...I know for myself when things get too stressful with school and other stuff, old baggage that has otherwise been nicely stored away can come flooding back to make an already bad situation seemingly worse. I'd try to keep in mind two things: 1.) worst case scenario: you have to reapply next year and in the big scheme of things (and it is big!) that ONE year won't mean squat. 2.) Everything that is and has been going well for you now and thus far: I mean you've made it this far so keep your sense of humor and be glad you're one of the few that has made it this far(many bite the dust after their first real science courseload). Seriously, the human psyche is a fragile thing and this process can be brutal so fast forward ahead five years and see the humor in the insanity of it all and take good care of yourself.

and then have another beer. ;)

gosh u pple are SOOOO nice :D

I would love being ur classmates in med school....

where have you pple been all these four years during college where I needed u? :rolleyes: You guys are so great :D

best of luck for you guys ;)

it will be terrible and be worse than you could possibly imagine

or...

it could work out

but in the end...

your life IS what you focus on

and my friend, AMCAS is nuttin but 5 meaningless letters on the road to the goal!

chill out and have a nice mike's hard lemonade! won't knock you off your feet, but damn it's refreshing!

buy a chopra book or something, too!

Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit:
•NO like i am real serious...

I have had so many things go wrong in my life....but this AMCAS thing, has really REALLY pushed me over the edge...I turn in my secondaries on time, only to learn that schools won't review it until amcas gets their butt rolling! They haven't even entered my mcat scores in!!!!

I really really need to see a psychitarist otherwise I will break down....gosh, I am soooo stressed out. I try speaking to my friends about this (none are premeds) and it is like talking to wall. They don't understand a bit....THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING....IS THIS HOW IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN....I knew I should have gone and pursued a Phd......it is 5:00 in the morning...couldnt get any sleep last night because I was worrying...I sent my amcas copy to u of washington, only to learn they dont accept new york residents........feel free to call me STUP ED......oh man...so so so tired :(

so much for the essay saving ur butt ****.....schools are now cutting off applicants by looking at numbers...•

If you think pursuing a phd is an easier, you are in for one HUGE SUPRISE!!! I pursued a phd in geophysics. This is what it was like: First of all, you take difficult courses, prepare for your comprehensive exams, teach and do research. Then, if and only if you pass the comp exams, you become a phd candidate. At this point you begin writing a juried dissertation while continuing to research and teach.

Also, the competition was fierce to get into this phd program. One of the reasons being that the department did not have very much funding.

Anyway, I am enjoying med school now.

"The grass is not always greener on the other side. It may not even be green."

Originally posted by rositalola:
•Watchamacllit

If you are at school for the fall semester, today would be a good time to go to student health or the academic counselimg center. They may have already heard all of this AMCAS stuff already...or if you are the first, believe me, you won't be the last. This is outrageously stressful on top of all the other pressures of life. Go today.•

It is a very stressful situation. But not on top of everything else.

"The grass is not always greener on the other side. It may not even be green."

Watcha, Just wanted to say that you are not alone. I don't know what the "other" things are that are going wrong in your life. As for me, I just had my girlfriend of two years end it with me--something about me being fixated on my applications and not spending enough time with her for the last few months, yada yada yada. The break-up I can handle. But because we live together and I already suspect she has another dude on the horizon I have to find another place to live, which means entering into AMCAS another, new address. I can't believe I have to rely on AMCAS to take care of something so vital to my admissions process. I am almost certainly will not get some correspondence from some of the schools to which I applied. Which could mean I might miss out on an interview, or even, God forbid, an acceptance. So just do what I'm doing: keep the faith and hope for the best and we'll get through this mess.

Originally posted by Georgey:
• As for me, I just had my girlfriend of two years end it with me--something about me being fixated on my applications and not spending enough time with her for the last few months•

Man...AMCAS has broken up a relationship...Georgey, I seriously hope that there were other reasons...

rxfudd, Let's just say that the multitude of hours spent dealing with AMCAS didn't help matters much. Mostly, the AMCAS issue just unplugged the life support machine.