Does anyone commute to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marydwayna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone commute an hour to dental school everyday? As of right now that may be what I have to do but I was wondering if it is feasible or of anyone has any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I do, 45 minutes each way via car. Most of it on the highway. It gets tricky a few days of the year due to weather, but overall it's worth it for me. Housing near campus is way too expensive. I know other students (and dental faculty) that commute similar distances.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh yes. I didn't mention in the other thread that I'm not alone. Other classmates have significant commutes. Some faculty and even the pre-clinical dean live right by me. The class below me has 6 people at or beyond me. Also, I'm almost all highway and most of it is carpool lane. Have still never had big delays (wrecks, being pulled over, etc). I don't know how it is for you, but unpreidcatble traffic was my concern, not the distance. And gas, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a ten minute walk my first two years at NYU then moved out to Jersey to be with my wife my third year. The commute was an 1.5 hrs one-way and nearly killed me - I had to move back to the city after 8 months.

It's a lot harder to commute in dental school than in undergrad - you'll be spending a bunch of time at school late at night and on weekends. I wouldn't consider it if it's more than 30-45 minutes and DEFINITELY not more than an hour.

From right near Alliance Airport in Fort Worth to Baylor just east of downtown Dallas.

Normally a 50-60 min commute. But leave at the wrong time, and your looking at 1.5-2 hours. My all time longest was 2 hours and 45 min.

For those reasons, if it is 5 o'clock, I typically just stay at school and study or do lab work until 7pm.

Factoring that I loose 10 hours average study time a week over my peers, my grades do suffer a bit.

Can it be done? Yes.
Would I suggest it? Only if your reason is incredibly strong.