Does anyone else find Ortho Surg beautiful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basupran

ortho, study, cars, lift
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The more I learn about ortho surgery, the more I fall in love.

My 4 reasons:

1) Improving a preexisting condition, less chance of fatalities

2) Physics intuition required

3) Similar to working on a car (mechanics wise)

4) One of the few fields where everyone is diesed

Any good sites to get some info on the life of an ortho surgeon?

Members don't see this ad.

the more i learn about ortho the more interested i become...seems like a very cool field

Members don't see this ad :)
i love ortho. i was lucky to have the chance to shadow an ortho resident on and off for a few years. it's a great field.

basupran, if you become half as knowledgeable about bones and joints as you do about cars, your patients will be in good shape! I'll come to you when I need my hip replaced. :)

You know why ortho residency is 6-7 years long?

It takes that long to turn the brightest medstudents into the dumbest doctors! (*rim shot*)

"Bone broke, I fix it!"

Originally posted by ATPase
basupran, if you become half as knowledgeable about bones and joints as you do about cars, your patients will be in good shape! I'll come to you when I need my hip replaced. :)

Thanks ATPase! I am actually going to drop an engine + transmission into the Supie when my friend gets here.

You just made my day
:)

Originally posted by hapkidochic
i love ortho. i was lucky to have the chance to shadow an ortho resident on and off for a few years. it's a great field.

That sounds like a great experience. What was your favorite and least favorite experience while shadowing?

basupran, i got to spend two nights on call with the resident at a country trauma center. They were pretty quiet nights, but a great experience nevertheless. My least favorite...probably standing in the OR for 8 hours trying to catch a glimpse of the joint replacements i was trying to watch. While the surgeries were amazing, i was kind of stuck in a corner of the OR, trying not to get in anyone's way, so i couldn't really see everything. And 8 hrs is a long time to be on your feet standing in one place and craning your neck!!! Other than that, i spent a lot of time in clinic where i saw a bunch of arthritis patients and sports injuries. I probably learned the most from the time i spent in clinic.

Originally posted by trauma_junky
You know why ortho residency is 6-7 years long?

It takes that long to turn the brightest medstudents into the dumbest doctors! (*rim shot*)

"Bone broke, I fix it!"

Too bad most ortho residencies are 5 years.

I think most people find ortho's paychecks beautiful.

Another ortho lover! I just hope my mind doesn't change a dozen times like I've been told it will :oops:

not to get off track, but basupran. I'm quite the car guy myself (particularly turbos (al beit, any forced induction is really a joy for me)). PM me with some specs on your Supra. I'm assuming an MKIV?

Go shadow someone who does ortho surgery if you havent....you'll know pretty quick whether its a possibility or not...i've seen quite a few ortho procedures working in hospital OR and now have no interest in ortho at all...its just not pretty surgery to me....but to each his own. :)

Originally posted by trauma_junky
In Mexico!

you'd better check your math on that one. the ortho residency (including intership year) is five. from there fellowships from a couple of months to a few years are available. you can also do five years of general surgery plus two of ortho (if like the abuse) to become board certified in both.

Ortho surgery was the first thing that I ever seriously considered doing back in 7th grade. I was shocked when they gave me a surgical mask with a face plate standing five or six feet from the patient when I saw my first surgery two years ago. Then I got some bone and blood on my scrubs, haha. I think it is really cool, maybe not as intense as other forms of surgery. Where are the best ortho programs in the country? I know Harbor in UCLA (spelling?) but thats about it.

if i wanted to be a mechanic i'd save 200k and go get a job at the corner autozone.

Reasons ortho sucks:

boring as shiz - same shiz over and over

no life or death situations? Where is the excitement in that?

orthopods have the dumb

TraumaSurg4life

If i'm not mistaken and I often am, aren't trauma surgeons basically fpr the most part ortho surgeons who maybe didn't do that fellowship on the elbow. Thats what always pissed me off about ortho the repetetiveness.