OBGYN2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
Well...I have been getting a lot of headaches lately (mainly due to the stress)...I work full time, and when I come home, sometimes the day is just so exhausting, and a really bad headache for the 3 - 4 hrs/night pretty much just eats away from studying time. Does anyone else experience this? How do you guys cope with stress related headaches? I take excedrin, but sometimes it doesn't work :(

adiddas125

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status
I get headaches from physics. Especially fluids and electricity. Oh and cant forget the damn optics crap too. :eek:

TwoLegacies

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
San Diego
Status
OBGYN2010 said:
Well...I have been getting a lot of headaches lately (mainly due to the stress)...I work full time, and when I come home, sometimes the day is just so exhausting, and a really bad headache for the 3 - 4 hrs/night pretty much just eats away from studying time. Does anyone else experience this? How do you guys cope with stress related headaches? I take excedrin, but sometimes it doesn't work :(
yes... I feel you. I work full time as well, and my job's not too stressful, but sitting at a desk for 8 hours still takes its toll.
My body feels stressed in general. Lately my legs/tailbone have been aching just from sitting and studying so much.

Here's what's helped me:
yoga/exercise
enough water
enough healthy food

I know when I am stressed or busy, I'll forget about eating properly or drinking enough water, and it makes me feel crappy all over.

Yoga... one of those things a lot of people think is lame until they try it. Personally, it helps me calm down and forces me to stretch out stiff muscles-- including the neck, which can definitely relieve headaches.

Exercise-- probably the last thing you want to do when you have a headache, but it can at least prevent them. Try to fit it in your day before you get a headache, like in the morning, lunch, or right after work.

Good luck!

Sep 13, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I know this is an old thread but it deserves to be bump.

I don't know why but everytime I begin to study for the MCAT, I get this headaches.

brakk026

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I know this is an old thread but it deserves to be bump.

I don't know why but everytime I begin to study for the MCAT, I get this headaches.
That used to happen to me. Studying for the MCAT is a daunting task, especially in the beginning. Once I started taking practice exams and getting more comfortable with the material they started to go away.

kimicurtis

5+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I have gotten tension headaches, when studying topics that I feel confused about or when I do badly on a BR passage. It is caused by stress. With time, there frequency has been decreasing.

Shark7500

Clairvoyant
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2011
US
Status
Medical Student
I get significant eye pain from staring at a computer screen all day, and sometimes I get headaches if it gets bad enough. It's come to the point where I can't tolerate bright sunlight for too long. :/

But I agree, drinking enough water / eating healthy is key to keeping your brain in shape.

Reactions: me16

kimicurtis

5+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I get significant eye pain from staring at a computer screen all day, and sometimes I get headaches if it gets bad enough. It's come to the point where I can't tolerate bright sunlight for too long. :/

But I agree, drinking enough water / eating healthy is key to keeping your brain in shape.
Me too! My eyes are really strained, particularly my right. I feel horrible about it, but I can't stop studying...
Have you been to a Dr.? Do you think these problems are temporary?

nisarg2010

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I dont get headaches but I have hard time sleeping at night sometimes because I alwase feel that I didnt do enough studying that day or that I am not doing as well as I need to be on practice test.

The surprizing thing is that after a full length, I don't feel tired for some reason (i dont do that writting which saves about an hour). Does that mean im not focusing hard enough during the test??

Alejandro

Physician
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2008
Somewhere
Status
Attending Physician
Probably studying too long, not fully hydrated. I found it much better to study 2 hrs, then do something, come back, study another 2 hrs, come back, and study another 2. So in essence, have a study sesh morning, afternoon, and dinner, if possible. For those of you with jobs, I'm sorry-that's just a luxury I know you guys don't have. But don't slam yourself with 4 hrs worth of studying, especially if you know you can't keep up over 4 hrs. I'd just study for 2 hrs, watch an episode of suits, then study another two for the night.

I know it's harder to get back on the horse, but your mind will be much more relaxed once you get soem momentum.

Shark7500

Clairvoyant
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2011
US
Status
Medical Student
Me too! My eyes are really strained, particularly my right. I feel horrible about it, but I can't stop studying...
Have you been to a Dr.? Do you think these problems are temporary?
No, I haven't been to a doctor. I don't think my symptoms have been so bad as to warrant that. I hope it's temporary.

I think it may also be due to the fact that it's summer and everything is bright and sunny all the time. Maybe things will get better in the fall/winter?

Ugh, either way, I am so glad I didn't go into computer science or something.

May 7, 2012
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I also get headaches all the time. Especially when I am using the computer for a long period of time. Coffee works sometimes, but not always. I think the best way to increase productivity is to take a power nap. If you can't sleep because of stress. Go outside for a walk. Get your mind away from the pressure of getting that high score. :scared:

I don't like taking pain medications but if it happens on test day, ya gotta pop the pill :cool:

If the headache continues though even after your exam, you should see a doctor. :xf: just to be safe, in case its a tumor... :xf:

Apr 8, 2011
Bay Area
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Studying for the MCAT is taxing, physically and mentally. I've been lucky to have most of my summer cleared out to focus on studying and I still end up feeling tired at random times.

See if you can lighten your work schedule or just not work at all; you don't want this to affect your score and end up having to retake. Do see a doctor. Anyways, I wish you the best.

Sep 13, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
My headaches have became less painful either that or I am getting use to having a headache.

I also get headaches easily, due to anxiety.

And I have to work, I tutor for a private company so I have to have good clothing and I have to have my nails done.

May 15, 2012
New York City
Status
Pre-Medical
I feel you. I had a massive headache the other day and took advil. Then I started thinking about ibuprofen as a vasoconstrictor. Then I started thinking about the entire circulatory system and how that's affected by advil. Then I thought about vasopressin as another vasoconstrictor and then that led to thoughts about other hormones. Needless to say my headache worsened. Best thing was to just keep a day or two throughout the week without studying and not thinking at all about the MCAT. Spent an entire night after work just catching up on all the Suits episodes I haven't watched because of studying. Felt refreshed and great the next day, and started studying again.

Sep 13, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I know what you mean I try to take a day off, but I have workaholic blood in me so it so hard.