Does anyone else hate physics as much as I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioboy23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi peoples,

I have never been a huge math guy, which is one reason why I love biology so much. But I think I have found my academic kryptonite -- physics is killing me and I'm not sure how to get over the hump. I will study and do practice problems for hours but just can't quite master the material. I've always thought ochem would be the one to trip me up, but I sure have been surprised by dang physics.

Did/does anyone else struggle with physics? Because if so, I seem to never hear about it. Any advice or quality resources I can take advantage of?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
20130616.png

Reactions: 21 users
@Lawper I don't know where you find all of your comics, but I love them!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I struggled a ton with physics. I am also not especially fond of math, and unfortunately was forced to take physics with calc because it was the only thing my school offered. I can tell you that the only way to become good (or, at least decent) at physics is to bust your butt doing practice problems. It is truly one of those things that you cannot learn simply by reading a textbook or watching someone else do it. Find resources to get practice problems from and work through them either on your own or with your professor.

If it's any consolation, when I took physics 1, after the first exam, I thought I was going to fail the class. I literally remember almost having a breakdown on the phone with my boyfriend.

I ended the class with a B+. You can do it. Just drill practice problems.

Oh man! That comic made me laugh too hard! I remember with absolute clarity one "mastering physics" online problem from like 4 years ago. I spent an hour just pulling my teeth out at this problem it kept saying I got wrong. After literally doubting my existence as a human, I finally realized that I had not put a space between the number and the units.

Ah - memories.

Reactions: 4 users
I love physics!! I love biology, genetics, biochemistry, orgo, gen chem... yeah, I love all my science classes. Physics, scared me though.

Here's what I did to help me:

F = ma
F = m (v/s^2)

kg * m = ma
s^2

Once you master those and that way of thinking (like a flow chart), then V=IR starts to look awfully much like F=ma and so on and so forth.

Optics though? real inverted/upside down, inside out flip flopped virtual hazy misdirected? Yeah, I'll never master that ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Hi peoples,

I have never been a huge math guy, which is one reason why I love biology so much. But I think I have found my academic kryptonite -- physics is killing me and I'm not sure how to get over the hump. I will study and do practice problems for hours but just can't quite master the material. I've always thought ochem would be the one to trip me up, but I sure have been surprised by dang physics.

Did/does anyone else struggle with physics? Because if so, I seem to never hear about it. Any advice or quality resources I can take advantage of?

Thanks!

Just embrace it. I didn't like physics either but what helped me was just being all in on the process of learning it. I worked harder in physics than I did in any other class tbh, but once you put a large amount of work in a lot of the material is actually really interesting.

Khan helped me to a degree, but the biggest thing was just reviewing problems over and over. Good luck OP! It will all be worth it in the end.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all of the replies. It's nice to know I'm not completely alone I think a lot of it was that I wasn't quite expecting it to be so difficult. Time to hammer some practice problems. Thanks again!