Does anyone get rescinded?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zempa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently running a C- in my philosophy class - the teacher also doesn't understand..she said well u know med schools don't care about these grades...

so does anyone ever get rescinded or do med shcools do it just to scare you?

Members don't see this ad.

i think if you pass, you will be fine. try to get it up though. i have no clue what the prof's understanding has to do with your grade

I got a not so hot grade this last semester, and when I spoke to my advisor, he said he knew a case of a person getting accepted, then getting straight C's, and not being rescinded. He hadn't heard of anyone being rescinded.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a not so hot grade this last semester, and when I spoke to my advisor, he said he knew a case of a person getting accepted, then getting straight C's, and not being rescinded. He hadn't heard of anyone being rescinded.

yea, i think u have to send your final transcript in May or something. I don't think anyone with decision making powers would initially rip apart your transcript, I'm sure it goes to administrative assistants first, and if there are anything that really stands out, they might do something about it

i think if you pass, you will be fine. try to get it up though. i have no clue what the prof's understanding has to do with your grade

I know the grade is up to me but she was a very harsh grader on the tests, almost nobody broke a C. Personally for me it's been a bit hard to take since I enjoy the subject so much and was an active participant in the class. I spoke to her simply to see if she'd be lenient if the time ever came and I had a C- (so she could change it to C)...she wasn't

I actually emailed a school about this because I was running a C in one class and he said a C was fine as long as I didn't fail. So def try to do C or better and you should be fine.

I made a C in spanish my senior year. I also ended up with a straight 3.0. It'll be ok as long as you dont fail.

wow... a C is like 2.3? I dont even know TWO point WHAT...

I've never seen it before in my life!!!
And I feel like I'm going to find out this semester...
I wnder if i have like a gpa of like 2.0 LOL
that will be sasd

I am currently running a C- in my philosophy class - the teacher also doesn't understand..she said well u know med schools don't care about these grades...

Ignore all the horse crap above and that of your teacher. Call the school that you plan to attend and ask them their policy. While there is a 99% chance of what they're saying (no one cares about your grades once your accepted) is true, that 1% chance = losing your acceptance. I'd call the school and make sure that all they need from now is a degree and transcripts (regardless of what post-acceptance grades are).

Also, get your act together and don't intentionally screw up. That's just not cool.

I ended up dropping a non-required science class last semester that was on my application. I doubt it was even recommended at any school, since it's a zoology class. Should I update the schools that I have interviews at? I'm worried that I'll get in and they'll see the W and then that'll be it for me :scared:. If I should tell them, when would be a good time? Email them now? At the interview? Or just let them figure it out when I send my transcript and deposit after I get in? Thanks :).

Ok maybe its just me, but i don't get how you can screw up so badly senior year..or why you feel like doing nothing? Last semester I had 17 credits and multiple interviews and got straight A's. This semester I'm taking 13 and I have so much free time I'm just begging to get started on something so I can occupy myself. I find it "hard" to get a C in an undergrad class.. especially if its a course that is required for your major... shouldn't you have some interest in it? And if so, surely you can do better than a C even with minimal effort.. I mean you did get accepted to medical school...

Do your best to not fail the class... But always remember, its better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I recall, one guy had his acceptance rescinded two or three years ago. Apparently he got quite drunk at a reception during a Second Look weekend, and made overt sexual comments to various women who were in attendance, including a med school faculty member.

So try not to get drunk and make comments about the breasts of faculty members (even if they do look really good) during a second look weekend. If you cannot hold your liquor, don't drink. However, one "C" will not be fatal.

As I recall, one guy had his acceptance rescinded two or three years ago. Apparently he got quite drunk at a reception during a Second Look weekend, and made overt sexual comments to various women who were in attendance, including a med school faculty member.

Wow.:wow: Super fail.

So try not to get drunk and make comments about the breasts of faculty members (even if they do look really good) during a second look weekend. If you cannot hold your liquor, don't drink. However, one "C" will not be fatal.

Yeah, it was at Harvard right?

just to clarify I am trying and I did study for that test( I was expecting an A).. the reason I posted this thread was because after I received my C- on the test and spoke to the teacher she seemed very strict and not very lenient thus I got scared.. Next semester I am taking 20 credits of upper tier science so it's not like I'm trying to slack off. In fact I like learning and thus studying is more enjoyable then expected

just to clarify I am trying and I did study for that test( I was expecting an A).. the reason I posted this thread was because after I received my C- on the test and spoke to the teacher she seemed very strict and not very lenient thus I got scared.. Next semester I am taking 20 credits of upper tier science so it's not like I'm trying to slack off. In fact I like learning and thus studying is more enjoyable then expected

If by next semester you mean Fall (not summer), are u deferring ur acceptance and not matriculating this Fall? I guess i misread the premise of ur original question...

Yeah, it was at Harvard right?

I wish that it was Harvard. Although, I have no personal knowledge of the quality of cleavage at Harvard, alas. Others on this forum are more qualified than me to comment about this. Whether the cleavage at Harvard or Yale is better, I am not qualified to comment. And William F. Buckley is dead. I suppose it could be resolved by the equivalent of the Harvard-Yale football game, I would certainly show up and tailgate before the competition. And cheer the winner with great bravado.

As memory serves me, and I hope that it serves me well, it was a med school in the mid-Atlantic region, quite respectable. It was shocking to the Dean and quite shocking to many others as well. The father of the poor unfortunate drunk was quite concerned about the future of his besotted son.

Is he a third year med student now, hoping for a competitive residency next year. Or just sitting in a low rent bar, sipping on a beer, and writing bad poetry. True story, but the stuff of legends, like Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman.

I wish that it was Harvard. Although, I have no personal knowledge of the quality of cleavage at Harvard, alas. Others on this forum are more qualified than me to comment about this. Whether the cleavage at Harvard or Yale is better, I am not qualified to comment. And William F. Buckley is dead. I suppose it could be resolved by the equivalent of the Harvard-Yale football game, I would certainly show up and tailgate before the competition. And cheer the winner with great bravado.

As memory serves me, and I hope that it serves me well, it was a med school in the mid-Atlantic region, quite respectable. It was shocking to the Dean and quite shocking to many others as well. The father of the poor unfortunate drunk was quite concerned about the future of his besotted son.

Is he a third year med student now, hoping for a competitive residency next year. Or just sitting in a low rent bar, sipping on a beer, and writing bad poetry. True story, but the stuff of legends, like Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman.

:lol:

Med student in the day, aspiring writer by night. Keep it coming.

If by next semester you mean Fall (not summer), are u deferring ur acceptance and not matriculating this Fall? I guess i misread the premise of ur original question...[/Q

I just realized where the confusion is..right now I am taking 2 winter classes and so when I mean "next semester" I am talking about the upcoming spring.

didn't the semester just start? how can you already have a C-? take the class pass/fail. that's prob your best bet. if you think you won't pass for some reason, withdraw.

didn't the semester just start? how can you already have a C-? take the class pass/fail. that's prob your best bet. if you think you won't pass for some reason, withdraw.

wouldn't schools still see my grade even if I pass fail, so if I get a C- but I pass fail wouldn't they still see the C-

If by next semester you mean Fall (not summer), are u deferring ur acceptance and not matriculating this Fall? I guess i misread the premise of ur original question...[/Q

I just realized where the confusion is..right now I am taking 2 winter classes and so when I mean "next semester" I am talking about the upcoming spring.

I see, u must be in a quarter system, right? Worst case scenario, Is there anything else you can do to improve to > C, thing like extra assignment/paper/project. Really explain the consequences to your Prof, there has to be a heart in him/her somewhere... Also did u have extenuating circumstances that affected ur grade?

I am pretty sure the badly behaved student was not allowed to attend Duke. Who knows where he went.

wouldn't schools still see my grade even if I pass fail, so if I get a C- but I pass fail wouldn't they still see the C-

No, they would only see "Pass" or "Fail" - which is what's so sweet about pass/fail classes. Come on, BU, tell me something nice in March! :D

So after you're accepted, C grades or better are okay correct? I've gotten couple C's and my GPA fell by 0.15-0.20 after I submitted my AMCAS.

Haha, I called my accepted school and it doesn't matter, admissions decision is unaffected. So I think once you're accepted, you are more or less fine unless you get a "F" or commit some crime or something.

Yes, rescissions are actually quite common. My friend was accepted to the MD/PhD program at Yale and they dropped him for getting a B- in his summer basket-weaving elective. Tragic. :(

Yes, rescissions are actually quite common. My friend was accepted to the MD/PhD program at Yale and they dropped him for getting a B- in his summer basket-weaving elective. Tragic. :(

This is the first I have heard of someone actually being rescinded. And for a B-??? You said they were common, do you know of any other situations?

It was because of the B-???? Was that the only reason? This sounds very unbelievable and actually scares me - as of now I'm a full grade lower!

hes joking, that would never happen

I can't understand if the people who don't understand that the tragic loss of the Yale acceptance is a joke are being serious or if they're playing along. Sarcasm and simply misunderstanding something are nearly indistinguishable on the interwebs.

I can't understand if the people who don't understand that the tragic loss of the Yale acceptance is a joke are being serious or if they're playing along. Sarcasm and simply misunderstanding something are nearly indistinguishable on the interwebs.

This.

so even if I get a C- or a D and I just pass fail it won't matter? Even if the school specifically said I can't do worse then a C (as an example)?

so even if I get a C- or a D and I just pass fail it won't matter? Even if the school specifically said I can't do worse then a C (as an example)?

Erm, why don't you call the school and find out. :idea: