does anyone have a real "back-up plan"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
from what i've seen, everyone says that if they don't get in they'll just apply again, apply DO, apply carribean, etc.

i know we've all selected medicine, but it probably won't select all of us. i'm sure this will force some of us to look into that deep, dark place of eternal sadness, but what the hell! does anyone have a legitimate back-up plan, i.e. scientist, chef, mail carrier, nude photographer, whatever? let's hear about it!

Members don't see this ad.

If I hadn't been accepted to school, I would have completely turned away from anything in the medical field. It would have been too disappointing and too much torture to settle for being something else in the medical profession. That is why my backup plan was to do something completely non-related.

Plan B: I was going to apply for graduate school and focus on marine biology.

Plan C: I was going to apply for the FBI. This is a difficult department to enter, but I've kept my record sparkling clean ;) .

Well I will have my MPA by May and if no medical school for this coming year then I plan to work with my degree while comtemplating what to do about reapplying again.

Members don't see this ad :)
what's a MPA?

MPA= Masters in Public Administration

I'm going to be a nursing instructor probably -- or an np or something to that extent.

Originally posted by scubadiva
If I hadn't been accepted to school, I would have completely turned away from anything in the medical field. It would have been too disappointing and too much torture to settle for being something else in the medical profession. That is why my backup plan was to do something completely non-related.

This is exactly what I did the first time I got in. I wanted nothing more to do with medicine. Quit watching ER and scrubs, etc. Started a Master's program in Clinical Lab Microbiology. Ok that was some what related to the medical field.

Any way, I found out I was soooo miserable in that program. The students were not at all like I was used to being a pre-med. They seemed to have no drive. I couldn't stand it and quit. And we moved away. But I just couldn't ignore the medical school dream so I reapplied. Now almost 2 years after I was crushed, here I am again and this time I hold an acceptance to my first choice school.

My point is make sure if you don't get accepted, that you chose someting that will truely make you happy and feel fullfilled. And if that doesn't work, then take a hard look at your application and work on whatever area is holding you back. Because unfortunetly I don't think most of us can turn and walk away after rejection. It just doesn't work. Just my opinion, of course.

Well, I am living my backup plan. I originally applied to the class entering in 1996 (the peak app year). Didn't get in. My family financial situation was such that I had to go and work. I had a degree is Computer Science from a good engineering school, and got couple of offers within a week of graduation.
Now (8 years later) I am applying to med schools again. I finally have enough money and support. If I fail again, I'll just keep doing what I do now. I may or may not try again if I fail this time (just getting too old).
Am I happy working as an engineer? Pretty much. Good money, lifestyle, interesting work... Is it what I want to do for the rest of my life? No. After these 8 years, I realize more than ever that I want to be a physician.
I guess the point of this story is that it is good to have a backup plan. You might just end up taking that route. And it definitely beats asking "Do you want fries with that?"

Originally posted by edik
Well, I am living my backup plan. I originally applied to the class entering in 1996 (the peak app year). Didn't get in. My family financial situation was such that I had to go and work. I had a degree is Computer Science from a good engineering school, and got couple of offers within a week of graduation.
Now (8 years later) I am applying to med schools again. I finally have enough money and support. If I fail again, I'll just keep doing what I do now. I may or may not try again if I fail this time (just getting too old).
Am I happy working as an engineer? Pretty much. Good money, lifestyle, interesting work... Is it what I want to do for the rest of my life? No. After these 8 years, I realize more than ever that I want to be a physician.
I guess the point of this story is that it is good to have a backup plan. You might just end up taking that route. And it definitely beats asking "Do you want fries with that?"

I wish you luck this time around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well i had a really good backup plan... i was scoping out a few bridges to jump from

actually, the real backup was to go into the business side and enter the pharm. world. i had a few business ventures that some friends and i were looking into which would have been great - makes it tougher when i start in august but it would be good

For myself, I think dentistry, law or business school are backups, nothing medical!

Good call. I minored in criminal justice, and I've thought seriously about taking the LSAT if I fail to get in this year (my MCAT's will expire after this cycle and I don't think I want to take it again). Although, I've also considered trying to get a government job with NIH. I've been working as a post-bacc there for two years, and I think my experience could compensate for my lack of an advanced degree. Still--I'm not sure that would be a permanent backup plan...

Originally posted by Amy B
My point is make sure if you don't get accepted, that you chose someting that will truely make you happy and feel fullfilled. And if that doesn't work, then take a hard look at your application and work on whatever area is holding you back. Because unfortunetly I don't think most of us can turn and walk away after rejection. It just doesn't work. Just my opinion, of course.

Amy B, I totally agree with this paragraph, I got my BS in Biology back in 1995, took the MCAT that August for the first time and applied for the 1996 entering class and did not get accepted. Tried a semester at a Carribean school in 1997, which turned out to be huge disaster! After that, I tried a lot different things all while trying to convince myself that I didn't want to repply and could find something else 'fulfilling' to do with my life, and here I am now in 2004, gearing up for the MCAT again and taking post-bacc courses to improve the ol' GPA!!! :D

I guess my point is, if you really want it, you will never give up!! :)

Originally posted by Bernadette
Amy B, I totally agree with this paragraph, I got my BS in Biology back in 1995, took the MCAT that August for the first time and applied for the 1996 entering class and did not get accepted. Tried a semester at a Carribean school in 1997, which turned out to be huge disaster! After that, I tried a lot different things all while trying to convince myself that I didn't want to repply and could find something else 'fulfilling' to do with my life, and here I am now in 2004, gearing up for the MCAT again and taking post-bacc courses to improve the ol' GPA!!! :D

Good luck in all your preparations. And I wish you luck in the future!!

Originally posted by Bernadette

I would also like to give encouragement to those who did not get in to med school their first, second, or third time. i graduated in 1997 and applied to med school 2 times and was not accepted. for over 4 years, i did nothing medically related and tried different things in my life, from working as a farmer to working in wall st. none of these things really made me happy and after 9/11, i decided to re-pursue my dream of becoming a doctor. i now have 2 acceptances and will start med school later this year. looking back, i really felt that after my rejections, my goal of med school was just that, a goal. it's now a reality. :)

there-are-schools-better-then-those-in-the-usa-israel-sackler-takes-us-students-one-of-the-best-schools-in-the-world-also-schools-in-poland

good-luck

Originally posted by antoniodlc
I would also like to give encouragement to those who did not get in to med school their first, second, or third time. i graduated in 1997 and applied to med school 2 times and was not accepted. for over 4 years, i did nothing medically related and tried different things in my life, from working as a farmer to working in wall st. none of these things really made me happy and after 9/11, i decided to re-pursue my dream of becoming a doctor. i now have 2 acceptances and will start med school later this year. looking back, i really felt that after my rejections, my goal of med school was just that, a goal. it's now a reality. :)

antoniodlc,

I pm'ed you.