Does anyone have info regarding the UC post bacs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calbap10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!
So it is that time of year again when post bac apps start opening up. I am looking into the UC post bac programs, but I am not sure how each program differs (in regards to support, financial aid, classes and registration priority, living situations, etc). Also, I am very interested in the interview process and if I am not accepted, what is a good plan B? Therfore, if anyone has taken one of the UCSD,UCSF,UCD,UCI,UCLA programs; I am very interested as to how they went, and where you are now. THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!
So it is that time of year again when post bac apps start opening up. I am looking into the UC post bac programs, but I am not sure how each program differs (in regards to support, financial aid, classes and registration priority, living situations, etc). Also, I am very interested in the interview process and if I am not accepted, what is a good plan B? Therfore, if anyone has taken one of the UCSD,UCSF,UCD,UCI,UCLA programs; I am very interested as to how they went, and where you are now. THANKS!!!

Hey, i'm currently in the UCSF postbac program so I could tell you a little more about it. Just PM me with specifics and i'll try to provide you with as much as I can.

I did a postbac at UCSD, but this was back in 2004, so I'm not sure if it has changed since then. It's not a formal program, and is listed under "Non-Degree Graduate Study in Biology". You apply with an essay, GRE score, and letters of rec. If accepted, you are allowed to take any courses at UCSD that you want, you schedule them however you like, you pay graduate student fees (around $2300/quarter when I was there), get to register as early as the regular undergrads (no dealing with trying to add classes on the first day and hoping there's room), and get a parking permit (so key). It's a one year program, but they said you can extend it to two years if you have a good reason for the extension. I was eligible for some financial aid - not for subsidized Stafford, but I did get unsubsidized Stafford (and maybe Grad PLUS too - I really can't remember). La Jolla is an expensive place to live, but there are plenty of places that are fairly close and much cheaper.

They don't hold your hand or check up on you, and I don't think they'll write you a committee letter (my undergrad was perfectly happy to write it, though). If you want premed counseling you can talk to the normal undergrad premed counselor, but I just used student doctor as my counselor. I think it was a perfect program for me, because I knew exactly what I wanted to do, have always been a very independent person, and am frankly annoyed by hand-holding and people checking up on me. If you're looking for a structured program, however, this would not be the place for you.